U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2012, 01:48 AM

12 posts, read 14,161 times

Advertisements

I am having a very difficult time finding natural, healthy dog chews and chicken jerky treats that are not $20/pound. I only want made in America. Anyone have any ideas?

Many thanks,
minpin mama
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 04:02 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,830,656 times
I found some rawhide bones at Target that were made in america if you allow rawhide. I am on the same mission and am going to try antlers next. Although pricey, I am hoping they last for a good long time.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:06 AM

614 posts, read 1,246,509 times
Antlers while pricey seem to last a while. Sometimes my dog will get sick of it but I let it soak in some chicken broth and he'll get right back into it.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:07 AM

3,182 posts, read 7,027,063 times
We've had antlers hanging around since Christmas and they are still in great shape. As for chicken jerky, you can make your own.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:48 AM

16,649 posts, read 26,630,359 times
Artie's not food-motivated at all. When I gave him an antler, he swatted it around like a toy for five seconds, then walked away and never paid attention to it again.

He sometimes will eat bully sticks. I've never met a dog who doesn't love them. (Except Artie because, yeah, not food-motivated.) They come in stinky and non-stinky. Many dogs, because their sense of smell is their guide, don't care for the ones with no odor, though. Sadly. The stinkier, the better is their motto. Bully sticks are all natural. (If you google it, you'll understand why. Hehehe.)

Bully Sticks Bully Sticks for Dogs Best Bully Sticks

Artie will also sometimes get into one of these bones. He can ignore it for days or weeks on end but then he gets fixated on it for a couple of hours.

Sarge | PetFoodDirect.com

I wouldn't leave Artie alone with it, though, because a few times, a fragment of the meat has gotten stuck between two of his teeth and I've had to pull it out.

I, too, have wanted to find chicken jerky treats that are made in America, but I'm not finding any.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:54 AM

13,904 posts, read 11,446,778 times
My dog has never paid attention to toys or treats much, I got her a bag of sweet potatoes and she loves, loves them. I see no reason why you couldn't make your own.

Natural, healthy dog treats: Drs. Foster & Smith Healthy Snax Sweet Potatoes

Old 06-23-2012, 09:34 PM

12 posts, read 14,161 times
Thank you for all the replies. I might try the antlers and as for the chicken jerky...I will probably check in to a food dehydrator and make my own.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:10 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,719,550 times
Bully sticks and antlers are pretty muhc the go-tos in my house, and home made jerkey and pigs ears...

Old 06-24-2012, 04:12 PM

5,981 posts, read 16,289,271 times
Here's a crazy one for you that I just found out last week - zucchini. Yes - the stuff from your garden you leave in baskets on your neighbor's front porch, hit the doorbell, and run?

My garden is producing a record crop. My neighbors now slam and lock their doors if they even see anything green in my hand. I was packing some up to freeze and the Mastiff got all drooly and misty-eyed, so I gave him a big slice. Here came the other 6 pups - you'd have thought manna dropped straight from the sky.

Since I have enough packed away to feed a third world country, I'm now freezing them...picking some of them while they are very small for the little guys, letting the ones that look like Louisville Slugger baseball bats go to the Rotties and Mastiff. I usually cut them all lengthwise in quarters and freeze that way.

The dogs are absolutely in heaven - everyone lays on the back deck and licks and slurps and chews to their heart's content. Okay, so they don't last as long as dog chewies, but they sure are healthy treats and cheap to boot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or