Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2012, 07:31 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times

Advertisements

it can make them obsessive. interesting.

Help, my dog won't stop licking everything! - TODAY Pets & Animals - TODAY.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 08:26 PM

548 posts, read 1,038,330 times
Yes very interesting. I had a female Golden named Daisy. She was such a great dog. We did play with the laser light with her and flashlights. As she got older if a flashlight was on the coffee table she would sit and stare at it for hours.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:36 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,120,097 times
I'm sure some dogs can have short periods of play with these lights but...there are dogs who get a little OCD with certain things...laser lights being one of them. I had a foster a couple of years ago who was obsessed with laser lights, flashlights...motion lights, even blinking Christmas lights. He was in a different world and a threat to himself and anyone around him.

He was an owner surrender and I made contact with his previous family...the "mom" said her young son and husband had teased this dog unmercifully...for hours and hours...because they thought it was funny. Then one day, the young dog nipped the boy and the husband was doing to drop this dog off on a long, dark country road. She stepped up, did the right thing and surrendered him.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to help him...even after several sessions with a trainer/behaviorist. I have four dogs of my own and any foster I have must get along with my dogs. I also have five grandchildren and the liability/risk was just too big.

And as jkiss posted...this "stare"

I turned him over to a canine rehab facility and it took over six months before he could even be considered for adoption...and then, only to a home without small children and a promise/oath that he'd never be teased this way again. BTW, this dog was barely a year old when he came to me.

I felt so bad for this young dog...he was a purebred Boston Terrier with perfect markings and came from a reputable breeder. Unfortunately, the family who bought him never gave off any clues to the breeder about their thoughts of play styles.

I know my post was long and I thank you for reading all of it...if you are. LOL I may be opinionated about this particular subject and yes, I do feel strongly about it. There are other methods of play/entertainment that will stimulate your dog in ways that are beneficial to it.

And as jkiss posted, this "stare" is another sign of this behavior. I don't want my dog or dogs to ever be staring at something like a light. It's not healthy.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:55 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,543,192 times
Our GSD rescue Kaiser, loves chasing lasers. While he can be obsessed with it at the time, he'll go on with his business when I tell him no laser. I don't think him being an escape artist has anything to do with lasers (more to do with how he was raised by prior owners). Fortunately, it appears we've been able to escape-proof the backyard.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:16 PM

548 posts, read 1,038,330 times
Let me clarify... Daisy my golden stared at flashlights that were OFF. She wanted us to turn them on. That is why she would stare at them thinking they would come on. She was a silly silly girl and that wasn't her only activity. She was very much a velcro dog. She loved EVERYONE the way most goldens do. After Daisy was gone I tried another golden but I could never warm up to her the way I did with Daisy. Anyway I just wanted to make sure everyone knew while she was obsessed with lights she wasn't completely insane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs