U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 04:52 PM

12,390 posts, read 31,357,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I saw the size of the dog in the Photo Gallery.

While I agree that paper is preferable to carpet, I think that I'd much prefer the OP to try to eliminate the odors (with Nature's Miracle) that are making the dog think that it's OK to pee and poop inside, rather than resort to paper-training in the parents house and being housebroken at home. I think it's worth a try before resorting to something that may be very confusing for the dog.
Now how do you think cleaning the carpets going to Stop the smell when 2 of the other 4 dogs ARE Allowed to potty in the house? Right now hes Smelling pee & poo You want to Punish him for doing what the other dog are Allowed to do! How unfair! How much more do you want to confuse him??

I check her photos 1 poodle...you cant tell size & its not stated! 1 Maltese! So again she not saying & it Doesnt matter in this case!

Last edited by Katie1; 06-21-2012 at 05:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 05:54 PM

16,649 posts, read 26,630,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Now how do you think cleaning the carpets going to Stop the smell when 2 of the other 4 dogs ARE Allowed to potty in the house? Right now hes Smelling pee & poo You want to Punish him for doing what the other dog are Allowed to do! How unfair! How much more do you want to confuse him??

I check her photos 1 poodle...you cant tell size & its not stated! 1 Maltese! So again she not saying & it Doesnt matter in this case!
Poodle? It's a pit bull or something similar.

How do you know the dogs are making on a carpet, Katie?

And who is punishing??? Why are you suggesting that??? I'm giving her a suggestion that might mean that her dog will retain the manners that have already been learned.

You're talking about confusing???? The dog is housetrained, then is allowed to pee/poop in her parents' house, and then is NOT allowed to pee and poop in her own house. THAT is confusing, Katie.

And this is a temporary move, Katie. Let's try and make housetraining PERMANENT.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:17 PM

Carpet...Only cause other posters keep telling her to clean carpet! Which wont help do to the smells of the other dogs.
The dog [what ever it is] Is Not confused. Its Not pottieng when the OP is home or in the OP housing Only the perents home. & only when the OP is not there. The only thing it seems to be confused about is where in the house is safe to go. This is not really the OP problem. Her dog yes BUT this is only happening when its only the parents around. I dont have any information on the Parents... Are they able to take the dog out? I thinking not If the dogs potties next to the door.
Personally If it was me I wouldnt have my dog in my parents home. I would leave the dog home & esp if this is a temp move Keep to the Routine the dogs was use to. Tho it would be nice IF the parents were able to to go over & let the dog out to potty 1/2 way thru OP work day. BUT the dogs going to stay confused the way things are now. Est if & when he potties inside he gets in trouble when the other dogs dont.... To put it in human talk Like the Step kid whose not allowed to do what the other kids in the home are allowed to.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:30 PM

491 posts, read 2,034,307 times
A bad situation, but still manageable.

First, you'll need to restrict your dog's access in your parent's home and in your own. Keep the dog crated or on leash when you are home. Go out at the same times each day and go out to the same doody spot. Don't leave the doody spot until you tell the dog to go doody - whatever language you use for it - and if the dog doesn't doody, bring it inside, crate it, then try again in ten minutes. When it doodies in the designated spot, praise it to high heaven.

Learn what time of day the dog is likely to doody and make sure that it does. Otherwise, keep trying.

When inside, on leash, don't let the dog near the places your parents' dogs go. Pull it away and say NO. You'll have to be very, very, very consistent with this, and tell all the other people in the household what you are doing so that they support the plan.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:30 AM

242 posts, read 1,032,189 times
Thank you for all of the advice! For those who were asking, my dog is a pitbull mix and is 85 lbs- too big for paper training. Luckily my new job is SUPER flexible and I'm able to split my work day into two 4 hour shifts with up to two hours between. Plus I work 5 mins from home. So I think we're going to go back to crating her with a long mid-day walk and occasional walks when my parents can take her out. We completely bleached/scrubbed the areas that the other dogs go today as well as the areas that Ellas had her accidents. I know its not her fault. This was a big move for us and its looking like this will be a semi-permanent move (at least a year here) so I want to make her comfortable and have her know that the old rules apply here too. I'm absolutely not punishing her for anything.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:02 AM

1,181 posts, read 2,573,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knh39 View Post
Thank you for all of the advice! For those who were asking, my dog is a pitbull mix and is 85 lbs- too big for paper training. Luckily my new job is SUPER flexible and I'm able to split my work day into two 4 hour shifts with up to two hours between. Plus I work 5 mins from home. So I think we're going to go back to crating her with a long mid-day walk and occasional walks when my parents can take her out. We completely bleached/scrubbed the areas that the other dogs go today as well as the areas that Ellas had her accidents. I know its not her fault. This was a big move for us and its looking like this will be a semi-permanent move (at least a year here) so I want to make her comfortable and have her know that the old rules apply here too. I'm absolutely not punishing her for anything.
I think you've found the best solution for your dog. She's used to being crated and will be more comfortable if the rules stay consistent for her.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:08 AM

10,588 posts, read 10,733,362 times
It's a full time profession taking care of dogs- It would be nice if they could use the bathroom but they can't. They are like children in diapers...My daughter dropped of her two dogs and I have been caring for them for 18 months- It is a full time thing...if you do not want them messing up your human environment- You have to take them out side constantly..and to a place they like to pee and poo in...............Personally I hate it- I don't like being in my mature years and being the care taker and servant to a couple of dogs....but I love my daughter and the animals are loved by her- so I do what is right-

Take them out every two hours and you won't have a problem- but who has that kind of time for dogs? For instance everytime you pee- remember- the dog probably has to pee also.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:08 AM

21,311 posts, read 11,526,250 times
The invisible fence may have freaked her out and maybe she's afraid to be outside? You have to be very careful in the training to keep it a fun/positive activity to be outside. Especially a city dog who is used to being inside and then walked under very strict supervision.

I would only let her outside and play with her to make it fun. Keep her on a leash and put tape over the electrodes of her collar so she doesn't get a shock but hears the beep. Then firmly pull her back into the safe/fun area and give her a treat.

Do that consistently for a week and she will no longer be afraid of the outside fenced area. Good luck!

Old 06-22-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knh39 View Post
No 85 pounds is not to big to paper train. BUT I think the way your going to do it will be GREAT for both of you! Bleach dont kill deep odors! Clean with Vinagar!

Old 06-22-2012, 02:05 PM

4,582 posts, read 5,006,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
No 85 pounds is not to big to paper train. BUT I think the way your going to do it will be GREAT for both of you! Bleach dont kill deep odors! Clean with Vinagar!
Seriously Katie? Are you really saying that 85 pounds is not to big to paper train? You would have to use the whole Sunday paper every time he peed.

OP - You need to get Natures Miricle or something similar to get out the smells. Bleach won't do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or