Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 11:24 PM

429 posts, read 971,247 times

Advertisements

Maybe its just me and maybe im over reacting to the situation. Tell me what you think....

Im gonna try to just state the facts as simply as possible so not to sway anyones opinion..

A family had a dog. The dog bite their 2 yr old son in the face near the eye. The bite did not require stiches. the bite did casue some bleeding. It was on single bite. The mother was standing there when it happened and said she saw no warning and nothing that provoked it. The dog was given to a rescue. and full disclouser of the bite incident was given the the rescue. Dog was surrenderd to rescue in Aug and was adopted in oct by a family with 2 small children. The family was told the dog "aledgedly' bite a child.

what do you think about this situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 12:40 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,456,897 times
i have seen even the nicest dogs throw a little snap...if a kid leans elbows into his ribs, pokes his eyes, etc stuff like that. i don't find that a big deal.

but when it starts drawing blood is another story.

if the dog is just sitting there, and decides to snap at a small child that comes near it, it needs to find a home with no small children.

Wondering how you know exactly what happened at first family and what the second family was told. unless you work at the shelter, which can't be the reason or you would have told them the truth.

Old 11-02-2013, 01:02 AM

429 posts, read 971,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
i have seen even the nicest dogs throw a little snap...if a kid leans elbows into his ribs, pokes his eyes, etc stuff like that. i don't find that a big deal.

but when it starts drawing blood is another story.

if the dog is just sitting there, and decides to snap at a small child that comes near it, it needs to find a home with no small children.

Wondering how you know exactly what happened at first family and what the second family was told. unless you work at the shelter, which can't be the reason or you would have told them the truth.
I know because the 1st owner was a friend of a friend. and the events unfolded on good old facebook. Where both parties made statements to each other on each other and their own fb pages.

i think it was extremly poor judgement on the rescues part to adopt a (larger)dog that has bitten a child into a new family that has small children. A bite is a bite. and its not worth the risk, especially when a child is involved. I pray everything works out good in the long run. It is just an unnessacery risk being taken by the rescue.

Old 11-02-2013, 05:59 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beans213 View Post
I know because the 1st owner was a friend of a friend. and the events unfolded on good old facebook. Where both parties made statements to each other on each other and their own fb pages.

i think it was extremly poor judgement on the rescues part to adopt a (larger)dog that has bitten a child into a new family that has small children. A bite is a bite. and its not worth the risk, especially when a child is involved. I pray everything works out good in the long run. It is just an unnessacery risk being taken by the rescue.
I agree 100%. And it was stupid of the adopters to take that dog. He needed to go to an experienced home with NO kids.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:31 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,236,733 times
Beats me because it's hearsay, I wasn't there so don't know what happened. Having worked with people as long as I have I know that the 'facts' as presented are not facts and we'll never know for certain what happened. Moms are protective of their children, as they should be but there may be history that mom isn't telling. We don't know what happened minutes before the dog snapped, or if there is a history of the child doing something to the dog. Dogs remember things, kids hurt animals, not intentionally but it happens.

If what happened actually did as mom says then the dog shouldn't be around kids, it might be anxious and fearful which is ALWAYS a bad mix with kids, even poorly educated adults. It needs and deserves well educated adult parents who will understand and train it so will have the best possible home.

Old 11-02-2013, 11:16 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
While the rescue was wrong, the second family has its own responsibility to not adopt an animal that "allegedly bit a child."

Old 11-02-2013, 11:59 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Agree with everyone else- no small kids around this dog (or frankly, around most dogs). I am surprised the rescue let the dog go to a home with kids, "allegedly" or not. There are good homes without small kids for such dogs and the rescue likely should have waited for one. Wouldn't they be liable for any future bites/injuries?

Old 11-02-2013, 05:25 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,754,293 times
The rescue should never have placed the dog with a family with small children. The family that took the dog should have used more common sense and not adopted it.

And the poor dog- he will be the one that suffers down the road because of the foolishness of humans. The same situation is likely to happen again and the dog will be sent back to the shelter or put down. All preventable by placing correctly.

Old 11-02-2013, 05:40 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
The same situation is likely to happen again and the dog will be sent back to the shelter or put down. All preventable by placing correctly.
All blame lays in at the feet of the adoption agency... in my opinion.

Old 11-02-2013, 06:52 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion2 View Post
Beats me because it's hearsay, I wasn't there so don't know what happened. Having worked with people as long as I have I know that the 'facts' as presented are not facts and we'll never know for certain what happened. Moms are protective of their children, as they should be but there may be history that mom isn't telling. We don't know what happened minutes before the dog snapped, or if there is a history of the child doing something to the dog. Dogs remember things, kids hurt animals, not intentionally but it happens.

If what happened actually did as mom says then the dog shouldn't be around kids, it might be anxious and fearful which is ALWAYS a bad mix with kids, even poorly educated adults. It needs and deserves well educated adult parents who will understand and train it so will have the best possible home.
So the mother was lying about being there and a two year old hurt a dog that much to get bit?

I've actually had a mother lie to her husband about leaving her 2 year old unsupervised in my store and my Macaw biting the kid.

But there is NO excuse for a family dog to bite. Especially a baby. Heck, it's not even acceptable for a working dog like K9 to bite - they have to be exceptionally steady and balance. That dog should NOT be around kids. IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs