U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2012, 12:10 AM

242 posts, read 1,034,530 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I posted a few months ago about a huge move that I had been planning. Move was successful and my dog and I are settled into our new home. We're living in an apartment that is attached to my parents house for the time being. My situation is complicated so let me give some background.

I was previously living in New York City and my dog was accustomed to spending the majority of her time inside. She was walked 4 times per day- 7am, a long walk at 6 pm, a quick walk around 10 pm and a final quick walk right before I went to sleep around 2 am. She was GREAT at not peeing/pooping in the house- RARELY had accidents. She was very predictable in her 'going' while on walks- always peed in the same spot, etc. She has severe separation anxiety when I got her, and we found great relief through crate training. She was accustomed to spending the day in her crate while I was at work, but she spent the rest of her time out of it. It was a system that made her happy (her stress levels were way lower while in her crate when she was alone).

Now we're living in a rural area. We live on a great 15 acre farm property. The property has one of those electric underground invisible fences, which she hasn't totally grasped yet. So she doesn't go out unsupervised, but she isn't walked on a leash either. I let her out and walk with her and she does 'go' while out in the yard. Like I said, our apartment is attached to the main house. My parents are semi-retired and at least one of them is usually home for most of the day. They love my dog and welcome her in their part of the house while I am working so that she doesn't have to be alone in my apartment.

Now, the problem. Ever since we moved my dog seems to have forgotten that she's housebroken! She will not 'go' in the house when I am there, but once I leave she does. Even if she's in the same room as one of my parents, she will go to the other end and go. Both pee and poop. The issue is further complicated by my parents dogs- they have 4 of them. They all get along with my dog really well. Two of my parents dogs are Pomeranians and they are paper-trained and go in designated spots in the house. The other two never 'go' inside, go out no problem. My dog has used their 'paper' multiple times, but has also gone all over the house in various locations. A few of the locations that shes peed have become repeat spots (i.e. she keeps peeing behind the front door).

What can we do about this? At this point I'm wondering if its because shes stressed about the move, if its because she smells the other dogs pee, if shes marking territory, or something else? All of the dogs are female, but all are fixed. I'm on the verge of going back to keeping her crated in my apartment while I'm not home as that is what she's used to and has always worked well for us. How would you approach this situation? Like I said she does not do it at all when I am there with her, so its hard for me to discipline her.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 04:07 AM

1,181 posts, read 2,581,944 times
This may be a case of her not being housebroken in the new house. People often forget that just because a dog knows something (housetraining, obedience, whatever) in one location it does not mean the dog understands the rules apply in another location. Dogs don't generalize very well and if you have not given her a thorough housetraining review at your parents' house you need to do this.

It could also be that she's smelling places other dogs have done their business at some point and/or is confused by the use of pads and thinks it's ok to go in the house. This can be a problem with using pads.

Another, more remote possibility is that she has a UTI or kidney infection. There may not be any symptoms so I'd have the vet check her just to make sure there's no medical condition that's contributing to the problem. Then if not, I'd give her a review on housebreaking treating her as if she was a puppy for a time (meaning NO house freedom at all, and everything on a strict schedule). Make her earn the right for house freedom.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:43 AM

7,330 posts, read 13,226,567 times
Sometimes dogs "forget" housebreaking briefly after a move. Usually a few corrections is all it takes to make them realize that the rules are the same in their new home. The fact there are dogs using pads inside the home is probably confusing her. Very thourough enzyme cleaning of spots where she's gone may help, but the pads will still smell. The other thing, though is she only pees when you're out. Maybe she thinks your parents don't share your ideas about peeing in the house, since they let 2 of their dogs do it. Or she doesn't see them as authority figures to her. Maybe they should work on some obedience commands with her. When she goes right in front of them, they should tell her no and take her outside immediately, even if it's too late. You may have to crate her again, for most of the time you're gone, while she works on this. I hope you can work this out soon!
BTW I saw the pictures on the dog pics thread and she is a really beautiful girl.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:04 AM

16,668 posts, read 26,731,689 times
My first and only thought to this -- and keep in mind that I have no experience with this -- is, as soon as I saw that your parents have 4 dogs, I figured that at least one of them left their pee/poop scent on the floor, and so your dog thinks it's OK to do the same. And then when I read that 2 of your parents dogs are paper-trained to go in the house, I strongly felt that that's the reason -- your dog smells their "stuff" and thinks it's OK.

Seeing as your dog is not paper-trained, she doesn't know that some places (where the paper is) are OK, and some (where the paper isn't) are not. She just does her stuff.

I'm not quite sure what the answer is re: how to fix that, but that's where I think the problem lies.

By the way, I absolutely remember your story about getting your dog. I didn't remember your screen name, but I remember NYC, wanting a dog, separation anxiety, etc... And, as s2c said above, she's beautiful.

I hope that you can work out this situation. I think it's GREAT that she doesn't have to be alone through the day, that she has other dogs and people to play with, so I wouldn't change that! Not at all. It's just a matter of figuring out how to get her to understand that, even though she smells the others' pee and poop, she's not allowed to do the same.

Oh! Let me ask you this. After one of your parents' dogs does their business, on the paper, do your parents remove the paper right away and throw it out? The smells, though, have still permeated to the floor underneath. Get them a bottle of Nature's Miracle. After they've removed the paper, they should spray the Nature's Miracle on the floor that was under the paper -- and any other floor area where your dog has eliminated -- to get rid of the scent. Nature's Miracle is amazing stuff. It totally removes the scent that only a dog would be able to pick up -- scents that cannot be smelled by the human nose.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:41 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,319,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knh39 View Post
Two of my parents dogs are Pomeranians and they are paper-trained and go in designated spots in the house. The other two never 'go' inside, go out no problem. My dog has used their 'paper' multiple times, but has also gone all over the house in various locations. A few of the locations that shes peed have become repeat spots (i.e. she keeps peeing behind the front door).
Well there's your problem.

Your parents dogs are going in the house and your dog has learned "that's where you go." There's scents all throught the house. To a dog not trained to go on a specific paper, the whole house smells like a toilet.

I wouldn't let your dog be off leashed in the house where other dogs are pottying.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:40 PM

12,436 posts, read 31,483,930 times
You need to Paper train her! Let her know its ok to potty inside As Long as she does it on the Paper/pads! Your parents need to help with the training as you most likey wont be there. Right now she just confused & unsure. I dont think it would take long to unconfuse her.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
You need to Paper train her! Let her know its ok to potty inside As Long as she does it on the Paper/pads! Your parents need to help with the training as you most likey wont be there. Right now she just confused & unsure. I dont think it would take long to unconfuse her.
Katie, I don't think that's a good solution. This is a BIG dog, and this is not the dog's real home. That would be confusing -- "I can pee and poop in THIS house... but not in MY house." I don't think that's the answer.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:57 PM

12,436 posts, read 31,483,930 times
Dog size was not mention BUT as long as the dogs going in the parents home at least being directed to pads/paper is better than carpet! The only other thing is Not haveing the dog in the Parents side of the home. & since the dog Not potting inside the DD/owner side I dont think its going to start just cause it can potty inside the parents home.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Dog size was not mention BUT as long as the dogs going in the parents home at least being directed to pads/paper is better than carpet! The only other thing is Not haveing the dog in the Parents side of the home. & since the dog Not potting inside the DD/owner side I dont think its going to start just cause it can potty inside the parents home.
I saw the size of the dog in the Photo Gallery.

While I agree that paper is preferable to carpet, I think that I'd much prefer the OP to try to eliminate the odors (with Nature's Miracle) that are making the dog think that it's OK to pee and poop inside, rather than resort to paper-training in the parents house and being housebroken at home. I think it's worth a try before resorting to something that may be very confusing for the dog.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:38 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,033,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
Well there's your problem.

Your parents dogs are going in the house and your dog has learned "that's where you go." There's scents all throught the house. To a dog not trained to go on a specific paper, the whole house smells like a toilet.

I wouldn't let your dog be off leashed in the house where other dogs are pottying.
I agree
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or