Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 03:12 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times

Advertisements

My S/O decided to get a yellow lab pup a week ago. She's an adorable little pup. We've had her for about a week now. 10 weeks old. She's a smart little dog, and learns quickly. Steady improvements in potty training and I taught her to "sit" in about 4 minutes.

One problem though is that she tends to bark quite a bit. I'll be sitting at the desk working and she will start barking at me, and she is loud. I believe it is an attention thing. Not 100% sure, but I have reason to think so because it isn't a matter of going outside as she has open access to go in and out during the day, and she goes on walks daily.

Between S/O and I she gets quite a bit of attention, but I realize she's also a puppy. Anyway - not sure how to tackle the problem because if it is an attention thing I don't want to perpetuate it; on the other hand we have neighbors too and I don't want to cause a nuisance problem with the constant barking. Sometimes I've tried to ignore her barking for several minutes to no avail. So I find it difficult to ignore her, and when she starts barking I will try to distract her by playing with her using one of her toys, which generally works for the time being. But the problem is that S/O and I spend a good amount of time each day already playing with her and making sure she is mentally stimulated, but there is still the barking.

Anyway - I'm just worried that by reacting to her barking, I'm inadvertently training her to bark to get attention, which is not desirable. But at the same time, I don't want to ignore her because I don't want her to bark for incessant periods of time.

If anyone has specific and reasonable suggestions, please share!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 03:58 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,126,850 times
You're right, she is a puppy and like most young things, she's testing you. If you can ignore her totally and every time that is the best solution. But, if this is not possible for some reason (such as close neighbors complaining about noise), you need to correct her each and every time she does it. The correction at this age can be a firm voice correction or a size appropriate scruff shake depending on her personality.

As I said, ignoring is preferred but it must be total, to the point where you don't even look at her. Intermittant attention, meaning you sometimes ignore, sometimes correct, and sometimes try and distract her with a toy or something, is actually detrimental to your goal of not having her bark like that. Remember it's intermittant rewards that keep people going back to slot machines. Once she's quiet reward her with some attention.

You can also teach her to speak on command. then, once she knows that command teach her a quiet command. Don't forget she does not speak English and needs to be taught what the command means.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:58 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,364,009 times
OHH boy, you've got your work cut out for you, I suggest getting some good books on training, going to puppy classes and LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of play exercise - a tired puppy is a quiet puppy.

I use several my fave is play training your dog, it incorporates learning and exercise.

I wish you lots of luck OH and BTW, if you post in this forum pictures are required...especially puppy breath pictures.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:48 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
I think you're right, that it's an "I want your attention ... again ... and now" thing.

I agree with the previous posters about ignoring and training and puppy classes, but you also have to remember that she's a puppy and that play time is ALL THE TIME!

Find her something to occupy her that does NOT involve your interaction. Fill a Kong with peanut butter, or freeze some low-fat yogurt in a Kong. Get her some bully sticks to chew on. Get some of those toys that are mind-bogglers (not just a ball) -- the ones where you put a treat under one of the blocks and she has to figure out which one and how to get it; or the Buster Cube, where you put treats in the cube and she has to figure out how to get some out.

Good luck! Post pictures soon, please. Yellow Labs are my favorite!

Old 06-21-2012, 11:53 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,522,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skelaki View Post
You're right, she is a puppy and like most young things, she's testing you. If you can ignore her totally and every time that is the best solution. But, if this is not possible for some reason (such as close neighbors complaining about noise), you need to correct her each and every time she does it. The correction at this age can be a firm voice correction or a size appropriate scruff shake depending on her personality.

As I said, ignoring is preferred but it must be total, to the point where you don't even look at her. Intermittant attention, meaning you sometimes ignore, sometimes correct, and sometimes try and distract her with a toy or something, is actually detrimental to your goal of not having her bark like that. Remember it's intermittant rewards that keep people going back to slot machines. Once she's quiet reward her with some attention.

You can also teach her to speak on command. then, once she knows that command teach her a quiet command. Don't forget she does not speak English and needs to be taught what the command means.
That's a tough one because they are going to want her to bark when she has to go outside. My younger dog barks for attention, she's barely a pup (about 11 months old). I try to ignore her and then I verbally scold her. She didn't start at 11 weeks old however!

At this age, I would just try to ignore it and maybe distract her with a toy. I would be afraid of scolding her or physical corrections at this age.

Good luck.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:24 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,586,673 times
Yup she is seeking attention. You might want to talk with your neighbors and insure them you are working on the barking BEFORE they complain if it really is that bad. I have found my neighbors are very understanding and grateful when I include them in such things.. When ever I have gotten a new dog or puppy I tell them I am doing so and ask, yes ASK them to tell me if they hear a lot of barking.

When she starts barking and annoying you as she might start smacking you with a paw do not even look at her turn your face away from her and do not respond in any fashinon as ANY responce is attention to her but looking away is something dogs understand. Go watch dogs at play when a dog comes up and a dog does not want interaction from it the dog will look away . ( it is also a calming signal) The barking may continue for a few moment but eventually the dog will get it and once it has settled down and is quiet reward it. ( toss it a toy or treat) The easiest way to train a dog is not to punish it for unwanted behavior but to reward behavior you want. You want a quiet dog reward it when it is quiet. A clicker could really work here .

Another good thing for puppy owners is teach the dog to come to you and do not chase it even to take something away from it as once that keep away game starts it is difficult to stop. With Chaos if she picked up something and did not come to me I would run away from her calling her and she would chase me thus she was coming to me. You always want a dog moving towards you not away from you when you want it to come so no chasing the dog! If you make yourself the most fun thing in the world yeah other people may think you are crazy but your dog will want to come to you and be with you as dogs love fun.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:33 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,423,690 times
Wow its like Deja vu, I am going through the same thing with my pup. The best thing is to ignore it, but I like you have a neighbor so that's out. One thing does seem to help is an empty bottle with coins. When the pup starts to bark I shake it when the pup is quiet it gets a treat. It took a few days but he's catching on. Something you can try. Good luck.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:05 PM

Thank you everyone, all of your suggestions have been very helpful! She's a smart dog, so I'm going to try to implement some positive reinforcement for when she is quiet. Also picking up a Kong today. We got a few chew toys for her which keeps her fairly occupied, but she's always wanting to play. Anyway - picture coming soon!

Old 06-21-2012, 06:14 PM

Here she is. Emmy

Old 06-21-2012, 06:41 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,661,006 times
Our dog (a golden) has a playmate down the road (a lab). The lab is extremely people oriented and although they play together, if the human is not nearby, the lab will go to the door or wherever looking for attention from the human. The class they went to told them they had to say "no" firmly everytime she barked for attention and to lightly tap them on their nose with your finger. The vet told them that labs need at least 4 miles of exercise a day, which helps work out their energy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs