U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-25-2012, 12:29 AM
 
Location: Northern CA
12,770 posts, read 9,816,207 times
Reputation: 4243

Advertisements

I complain a lot about 2 little houses abutting our property, because of the horrible people that move into these things. I have come to hate renters. Yes of course there are exceptions, but the good ones don't seem to move in around here.
One "family", I say that loosely because they are not married, have at least 4 kids from other relationships, and she's pregnant. Anyway they've been there over a year. I was just counting the number of dogs in that time and I come up with seven, not including a litter of I don't know how many, that went.

First dog was small and barked all the time, disappeared. 2nd was a pit that they tied out, hung itself jumping the fence, other neighbor rescued it, then it got out and another neighbor shot it. It went to the vet, never saw it again. Then they had a shepherd stay there for a few days, tied it out in a thunderstorm, screamed all night. Gave it back to it's owner. Then they had a pit that 'belonged to a friend', had puppies, they kept a puppy. That pup is now 7 months old and they have just started leaving it out all night. I don't even want to look, but I fear it's tethered. That dog is an angel, it's very quiet, almost never barks, I do hear it whimper now n then. I worry about what will happen next. I worry if they still have it this winter. I worry that the dog never got spayed nor any training. I assume they will decide she's a bad dog and get rid of her too.
They also had 3 cats, they only have one left.
People suck!

oh and to top it off, the little girl told me that they know their pup is lonely and were considering getting another dog to keep her company. Dear God, make it stop!

edit; I just remembered another one. They got a chihuahua because she wanted a tiny thing to carry around. They said they got it from Craigs list, it was the scrawniest thing I have ever seen. Looked like it had been starved. One day they came home to find that it had shattered it's leg, so they put it down. That's the story he told me.
They have the worst luck with pets, doncha think?

Last edited by claudhopper; 07-25-2012 at 01:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-25-2012, 12:24 PM
 
Location: Chicago area
14,303 posts, read 7,878,087 times
Reputation: 53329
I'll never understand the concept of having a dog but leaving it outside as what, some kind of lawn ornament? What a boring lonely existence for a pack mentality. We have friends with a large Husky mix that insists on being outside in 90 degree temps as well. The dog was obviously stressed when I visited and I let him in. I spent some time with him and the new chew chew I bought him. He never asked to go out while I was with him. Given a choice I think he preferred the company over being outside. Working dogs and boredom seems to be the issue with our friends dog wanting to be out all the time. The poor dog never gets walked and I wish I were closer to do that. I'll just never understand ignorant, cruel dog owners that could care less about a dependent animals emotional needs let alone their physical ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2012, 01:25 PM
 
1,004 posts, read 2,028,356 times
Reputation: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspink View Post
I disagree with those who are saying the owner is a bad one.

The OP said the dog was a Samoyed, or possibly some other Northern breed. If you've ever had experience with Northern breeds, most prefer being outside. Now that being said, if it's in the 90s there needs to be adequate food, plenty of water, and an abundant amount of shade. When I was growing up we tried to have our husky in the house. She wanted nothing to do with it. She was restless, howled, and scratched at the door to get out. She always had a large bowl of water in our garage, which had a cool concrete floor she enjoyed laying on, as well as having her food. But she was only in there when temperatures became in the upper 90s. Usually she'd seek the comfort of the shade from a tree in our yard.

While dogs are part of our families, sometimes we tend to forget that they are animals. I'm completely guilty of humanizing my dog, and I would never leave my Pom outside by himself. First, he's a toy breed, secondly, he'd hate it because he craves human attention. But some giant breeds, such as the Great Dane are like that too. I feel that the Northern breeds, like Huskies and Mals for example, love their human companions, but crave the outdoors. We tend to lose sight of what these dogs were originally bred to do. Even though our family pet may not serve its ancestors original purpose, it is still in their blood, their genetics. Our husky loved to run, adored it. We would race her on our bikes up and down the lane leading to my grandparents. She never got tired of it. (my sister and I never won those races on our bikes btw) If we kept her inside most of the time, I firmly believe she would have become depressed.

My point is, the OPs friend (the dog owner) knows his dog, clearly has some aversion to boarding (maybe a bad prior experience perhaps?), and would rather leave his dog in the care of a friend versus a stranger. Would I choose to leave my dog outside for a week alone? No, it's not my preference. However, the dog is being looked after, clearly cared for by not only the owner but the OP as well; not to mention the OP said that the owner's friends look after each other, as it appears to be a nice little neighborhood.

All I'm saying is don't call someone a bad dog owner simply because their way of doing something is different from yours. I board my dog, leave him with family, or have a friend watch him. I'd do that if I had a large breed dog as well. But again, that's just me. If the dog is healthy and loved, who am I to judge what someone else does.

All that said, you have some great suggestions on here. My dog loves ice after a long walk and I stick a cube or two in his dish. He inevitabley takes them out, places them on our carpet, and crunches on them there instead of the tiled kitchen. A kiddie pool and a fan are also good.


Quote:
Originally Posted by skelaki View Post
As long as the dog has access to shelter (shade), food and water which, from your post, it does have the dog is fine and you should honor the owners' wishes. If you feel the dog is in any distress you should first try and contact the owners and ask permission to bring the dog inside during the hottest time of the day. And, if you cannot contact the owner call animal control and ask them to come out and evaluate the situation and advise you what to do.

There is no problem with most (not all) dogs being out doors as long as they are provided for and get attention which this dog obviously is getting.
Wish I could rep you 100 times for this post. This is my thoughts too, some people think if the dog is not inside, on the furniture, at the dinner table, sleeping in bed with them, its "neglect." I tell people all the time that the dog's place in the household is changing. I'm waiting for them to start paying bills.

Both my dogs are both inside dogs, because they don't like the outside, no in fact they HATE it especially in the summer. However prior to them my other dogs LOVED outdoors no matter the weather, while they were allowed indoors they wanted to be outdoors. Since we want to humanize animals dogs like people have different preferences,So it depends on the dog not just breed.

If the animals are properly cared for food, water, shelter, mental, physical stimulation etc, let sleeping dogs lie. After all its possible to "neglect" an inside animal you see it on CL all the time, LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2012, 02:32 PM
 
4,058 posts, read 6,403,817 times
Reputation: 4155
No matter what the breed a dog is a pack animal. Humans are also pack animals. We thrive on and need the companionship of other beings. Dogs will accept pretty much anything as a pack if dogs are not available. Humans don't want to be alone and neither do dogs. The difference is that people can make the change but dogs have no say in the matter. Tying a dog out alone, regardless of shelter, food, and water, is the cruelest thing you can possibly do to that dog.

If you are a person who chains or ties a dog outside then you should not be a dog owner. If security is your issue then get ADT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2012, 03:50 PM
 
24,843 posts, read 32,321,534 times
Reputation: 11452
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
No matter what the breed a dog is a pack animal. Humans are also pack animals. We thrive on and need the companionship of other beings. Dogs will accept pretty much anything as a pack if dogs are not available. Humans don't want to be alone and neither do dogs. The difference is that people can make the change but dogs have no say in the matter. Tying a dog out alone, regardless of shelter, food, and water, is the cruelest thing you can possibly do to that dog.

If you are a person who chains or ties a dog outside then you should not be a dog owner. If security is your issue then get ADT.
I would have agreed....until we got hounds.

They do not want to be in the house.

Rip was an "only outside" dog for a while.

He did very well and can run with the best hounds in the US now.

In competition, his lowest placement was 15th and he was only 18 months then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2012, 04:02 PM
 
Location: Middle America
36,516 posts, read 41,720,253 times
Reputation: 50244
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I'll never understand the concept of having a dog but leaving it outside as what, some kind of lawn ornament?
A working farm dog (actually several working farm dogs), in my family's case, growing up. Probably doesn't apply to you, but there actually still ARE contexts in which dogs aren't exclusively pets. Herders herd...they're not lapdogs.

I now have a hound. He has NO interest in being in the house, or confined, period. Sadly for him, he was adopted by a surburban-dweller. My "pack animal" would run out the door and not look back if allowed to do so (and has managed to get out, and when he wants to roam, being a pack animal with me is the last thing on his mind...he'd rather be out, alone, doing his job).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2012, 05:33 PM
 
1,004 posts, read 2,028,356 times
Reputation: 918
Its not just hounds there are plenty of dogs that work and live outdoors, from herding to guarding. ADT has is nothing compared to ovcharka's, koochi's, or filas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2012, 06:29 PM
 
Location: Northern CA
12,770 posts, read 9,816,207 times
Reputation: 4243
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
A working farm dog (actually several working farm dogs), in my family's case, growing up. Probably doesn't apply to you, but there actually still ARE contexts in which dogs aren't exclusively pets. Herders herd...they're not lapdogs.

I now have a hound. He has NO interest in being in the house, or confined, period. Sadly for him, he was adopted by a surburban-dweller. My "pack animal" would run out the door and not look back if allowed to do so (and has managed to get out, and when he wants to roam, being a pack animal with me is the last thing on his mind...he'd rather be out, alone, doing his job).
That's because you haven't treated him like a member of the pack and he doesn't identify you as his pack leader. Just because he is used to that kind of treatment doesn't mean that is his preference.
Dogs are not solitary animals, I don't give a hoot what breed you are talking about. Even a sheep dogs is not alone, he has the sheep.
Dogs don't run away, but they may run to something to give them a sense of belonging. If they aren't fixed they may be looking for a mate or following the scent of a female in heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2012, 06:35 PM
 
Location: Northern CA
12,770 posts, read 9,816,207 times
Reputation: 4243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I would have agreed....until we got hounds.

They do not want to be in the house.

Rip was an "only outside" dog for a while.

He did very well and can run with the best hounds in the US now.

In competition, his lowest placement was 15th and he was only 18 months then.
Sounds to me like your hounds want to be in the company of their pack, nothing unusual about that. People usually adopt them to make them part of the family, otherwise you are using them for working dogs or show, but that doesn't reflect on their need for socialization and companionship.

Last edited by claudhopper; 07-25-2012 at 07:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2012, 06:43 PM
 
29,988 posts, read 37,128,916 times
Reputation: 12760
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
You never have complete control of every action around you, or your pet.
Unexpected things can, and do happen so quickly that you wouldn't have time to respond.
Just a few examples while walking your dog off leash: Another dog, vehicle traffic, bicycle being ridden on sidewalk, cats.
If you tell me your dog won't chase a cat, you are living on a different planet than the rest of us.
There are many distraction, and I don't care how well your dog is trained.
Things beyond your control happen, and your dog may be the one to suffer.
I know I could talk till I am blue in the face, because your type never listens.
Remember those seven little words I often use when dealing with people like you.
"Those who will not listen, must feel."
Bob.
Apparently you've not had a dog that has been e-collar trained not to bolt after prey, other dogs, etc... .Every dog and owner is different and you cannot pretend to know them all or paint them all with a broad brush to fit your assumed image of them.

Just a thought but to disagree with your position does not mean one does not "listen". Or, are you the type whom always has to be right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:11 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top