U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2012, 11:22 AM

2,352 posts, read 4,024,869 times

Advertisements

I am caring for a friend's dog while he's out of town - he'll be gone for almost 3 weeks. I go over twice a day to feed and play with the dog, and make sure he's got plenty of water. I've done this before, for 3 or 4 days at a time. The longest time up 'til now was one week, and that was in the fall.

I think his dog is a Samoyed - I've never asked the breed, but that's what he looks like. He wants me to leave the dog outside. There is some shade, and the owner leaves his back porch door open. It's a very small porch, just big enough for the doggie bed. He has a very large back yard, the dog is not tied up at all.

I double-checked about leaving the dog out for this many days, in the summer, and the owner said it would be fine. He didn't think there would be a problem with the dog getting into things, or chewing things if it was inside (it's about 5 years old); he thinks the dog will be happier outside than in.

The high will be 90 - 92 most of the days the owner's gone - is it OK to leave the dog out for this long? I feel so sorry for the poor thing! But I think the dog's out a lot, even if the owner is home.

The air quality dips down when it gets so hot here, and I always hear, "Bring your dogs in", and that makes me nervous about leaving this big guy out.

I'd like your thoughts and opinions, please! Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 11:26 AM

7,330 posts, read 13,167,971 times
Bad idea, and Samoyeds were breed for cool weather areas. I hope he doesn't normally leave his dog out all day, every day.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:32 AM

16,647 posts, read 26,615,464 times
1. I think it's a TERRIBLE idea to leave the dog outside. Too hot for my dog (short-haired mutt) and DEFINITELY too hot for a long-haired dog.

2. Also, someone could easily steal the dog that way.

3. So the dog is only let outside to pee and poop and run around twice per day? Wow. That's not enough. The dog needs a few more outings, even if they're only to pee and/or poop.

4. You're an angel for caring for (and about) this dog, especially for such a long stretch. Your friend has a GREAT friend in you.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:42 AM

2,352 posts, read 4,024,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
1. I think it's a TERRIBLE idea to leave the dog outside. Too hot for my dog (short-haired mutt) and DEFINITELY too hot for a long-haired dog.
This is what I was mostly concerned about - heat and air quality. Not to mention, I think the poor guy must get lonely.

Quote:
2. Also, someone could easily steal the dog that way.
I suppose that's possible, but not real likely. He lives close to the end of a dead-end street, the neighbors watch out for each other, it's a low-crime area. I am glad every time I see that sweet face at the gate, though!

Quote:
3. So the dog is only let outside to pee and poop and run around twice per day? Wow. That's not enough. The dog needs a few more outings, even if they're only to pee and/or poop.
No, he's outside all the time, he has free run of the back yard. He doesn't go IN at all, the owner wants me to leave him out the entire time he's away.

Quote:
4. You're an angel for caring for (and about) this dog, especially for such a long stretch. Your friend has a GREAT friend in you.
Aw, thanks!

Old 06-22-2012, 11:51 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,684,310 times
While most arctic breeds shed their undercoats in summer, ALL dogs get hot, just like we do, except they can't take their fur off whenever they want to. If the porch feels reasonably comfortable, fine. But if you feel hot on the porch, the dog will be hot, and while dogs do acclimate to some degree, they all get hot. If his mouth looks quite red when he pants, if he pleads with you when you leave, by golly bring you a leash and take him home, assuming you have good A/C, and put very cold towels under his arms, legs, the back of his neck, put some ice in his water (and sometimes they like to eat ice), put a fan on him, and turn up the A/C until finally he settles down and doesn't seem to be hot. He'll probably want to sleep a while. When evening comes, take him back over to his yard.

Look, I've got neighbors who keep their dogs in proper shaded pens, trees next to them, always water and food, always clean, better than a neighbor I had who chained their dog 24/7 and I had to step in and edu-bi-cate them, gave them a dog-walker's phone number and offered to pay for the walker, etc. She took over the situation. So, the pens I know about aren't too big a deal compared to that, they're within the law, and they do sometimes let them out to romp in the yard. I feel sorry for those dogs, tho. But I decided I would not make a stink about it since, as I said, it was better than a chained dog. But in your situation, you have the power to do what you see fit for the dog, and if you think that dog is in distress, then he is, and it is okay to do whatever you deem necessary to make that dog comfortable.

The guy you're doing this for is not a bad person. He apparently doesn't agree with kenneling his dog whilst on vacation for any number of reasons. And since he lets the dog get up on the back porch, he is completely aware of how rain or heat might bother the animal. So, like I said, stand on that back porch, look at how red the dog's panting mouth is, and if it's dang hot up there and the dog doesn't look right, take him on home and care for him as you would yourself. Bless you for being concerned. When the guy comes home, tell him about how high the temps got, and so you took the dog to your home during the hottest part of the few days there was a heat wave. He should thank you and perhaps even offer some sort of explanation or whatever concerning the issue.

But, hey, if you're not going to be home to watch over this dog, I wouldn't let him stay in there unattended... for all we know he jumps thru windows and pees when it thunders outside. Instead, over in his yard, load up his water dish with a tray of ice in the water. Also, put a few cold wet, wrung-out towels in a heap somewhere on the back porch so he can snug up to them if he wants to. Let us know what happens.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:29 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,703,190 times
unfortunatly since your only caring for the dog you dont get to say what happens..if the guy wants the dog outside/acess to the back porch only then thats what your going to have to do (unless you want to bring the dog home with you for the time hes away) personally i do NOT agree with any dog being "forced" to live outside...(some dogs choose to spend their days outdoors, and other dogs are outdoor dogs because their working (ie livestock guardians) bt for the average pet, no i dont like leaving them out. but again its not your dog or my dog.

the biggest concern here is this is a nothern breed with a thick coat. i would probably set a fan up (a simple box fan) on the porch (keep the wire out of his reach if possible) so that he has airflow in the shaded area

i would also get him a kiddy pool, fill it each morning with the hose so if he does get too hot he can literally "soak" as the water evaporates form the coat it ha a cooling effect (it also means even if he drinks all his drinking water he has acess...you can pick up a kiddy pool for about $10 at walmart, doesnt have to huge as long as he can get his feet wet if he chooses to (this is my female cresties Favorite thing in the summmer and shell spend hours just standing in the water then getting out and watching the water drip then getting back in and repeating...occasionally shell get her belly wet too lol.

you might want to spend a couple of days each week giving him a good comb out too...removing the dead hairs in the undercoat (which is a daily thing for northern breeds lol) will help keep him cooler. belive it or not that big thick coat acts not only to keep him warm in winter but COOL in summer...its the dead hair that collects in the coat howver that stop it from doing its job so if your over there anyway, take 1/2 an hour if youve got it to run a cmb through (particularly on the belly).

Old 06-22-2012, 01:23 PM

12,386 posts, read 31,337,219 times
The dog is 5 yrs old & use to being out I would not worry! BUT do go over & change the water ofter during a Heat Wave! IF he likes water turn the hose on him to help keep him cool!

Old 06-22-2012, 01:36 PM

3,138 posts, read 6,907,515 times
What a sad post. I detest irresponsible and cruel owners who keep their dogs outside. Dogs are PACK animals and need to be with their pack, which is their owners! How can anyone just leave their poor dog outside all day with no enrichment, little shade, no companion and nothing to do?

The best you can do is walk the dog in the cool of the evening, play with it and show it some love. I'll guarantee you that's more than his rotten, uncaring owner has some the poor animal in his entire life.

When I go away, I leave my two basset hounds in the house (with a pet door so they can access the backyard). I pay a pet sitter $30 a day to feed and water the dogs and spend quality time with them. I would perish before kenneling my dogs or leaving the poor things outside ALL DAY. I pray you speak to your friend about the heinous way he's treating his dog.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:52 PM

4,585 posts, read 10,811,174 times
While not an ideal situation, if the dog's got shade and water, the only thing you can do is get a cheepo kiddy pool and keep it filled for the dog. As foxy sez that coat will help to keep the dog cool and most "Snow dogs" DON'T want to be inside unless they were raised that way. Decades ago I had a Malamute and you couldn't drag her inside no matter what the weather, she was bred to be an outdoor dog and was much happier outside.

Sounds like your checking on the dog twice a day, shade and lots of water and food.

Down here in GA I know many working dogs that are out in shaded areas and are NOT indoor dogs they are working sheep and cattle dogs and they do just fine as they've got shade, lots of fresh water and food.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:13 PM

36,466 posts, read 41,651,387 times
I was also raised on a farm with a malamute who was an outdoor dog. She had access to outbuildings for shelter from the elements as needed, which she rarely availed herself of, preferring to be out of doors. In very extreme heat, she would sometimes seek out the basement, which we left open for her, and lie on the cool concrete floor. But mostly, she'd just seek out shade, which was abundant. Easy access to water and shade were important. Access to shelter was provided, but rarely used. As others have mentioned, arctic dogs' coats and the oil they produce insulate them to some degree from heat, as well as from cold.

I know it boggles people's minds that there are various working breeds who may prefer being outdoors even when given alternatives, but it's very much the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or