U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 03:59 PM

71 posts, read 118,602 times
Default Life changes/Breed changes

I don't know if I've seen this topic on the forum, so here goes: How many of you had a favorite dog breed, but due to lifestyle changes you find it's not practical or feasible to own that particular breed any longer?

Our one dog is a pug. We'll be moving soon, and have been getting rid of things that won't "make the jump". I think it was boxing the stack of old "Rottweiler Quarterlies" that started me thinking how I miss these wonderful dogs, now that our rottie owning days may be over. For nearly 20 years we had rotties but with retirement has come a different set of circumstances and so we never replaced our last big guy.

So if you ever had a favorite breed that you loved but were unable to continue to own, what did you do? Did another "easier" breed or type fill that spot? I'm also interested to see what people might have once had, and how similar/different were their new breed.

BTW, pugs rule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 06:58 PM

2,597 posts, read 1,938,469 times
I am near that point myself and leaning toward no dog when my weimaraner goes.

The qualities I enjoy in a dog are protection, sporting, and companionship. I am not sure switching to another breed that is more manageable than a weim would do it for me. And let's say most multihome living arrangements require small dogs. Not sure I would want that either.

but i am interested in the answers you get. could change my mind.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:01 PM

3,505 posts, read 4,863,417 times
Have always loved and owned the herding breeds but when Dash got Cancer and Jazz was just getting old I had a long hard thought about this topic as I am over 50 now and do I have the energy and time to raise more non stop energy dogs like they were? I decided maybe it would be nice for a change a more mellow dog that did not have to be on the go 24/7 thus I got Dazzle (silken windhound so from the sighthound family) He is beautiful, elegant, smart and a 30MPH couch potato. He is by far he easiest dog I have owned as being single coated and long hair at that he does not shed much and he does not bark much as he is not a watch dog unless watching is from a comfortable spot and only involves slight movement of the head He does not pester me to throw a ball any time he sees me. However I found I really missed all that , Granted I love Dazzle and he is my cuddle bug I missed having a crazy herding breed and then I found a puppy and that is my Chaos . She is not as non stop as my others were and settles down nice but at the park she is a blast and she is fast and loves agility and at home she will play some fetch while I watch TV But once I stop the game it is over. What ever is in her mix is perfect as it settles some of that crazy herding dog down. So I do have two dogs that do fit this part of my life.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:07 PM

6,123 posts, read 5,080,570 times
No dog? I understand that choice for some, but that would be unthinkable for me. I have cats too, but I would really feel a void without at least one dog and one cat.
It will probably be another 10 years or so when the dogs we have now are gone. I know we won't be able to deal with large, crazy-active young dogs like we have now. Senior dogs are harder to adopt out, so that will probably be what I look for. And probably at least somewhat smaller dogs. At least, I'll try to steer us that way, although we both tend to be drawn to larger dogs for some reason.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:13 PM

2,118 posts, read 2,194,252 times
Switched from Kerry Blue Terriers to Shih Tzus, lack of yard space, Kerrys need alot of exercise and are more comfortable in a cooler climate.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:16 PM

5,982 posts, read 10,789,047 times
ShermanJoe, I'm a Rottie lover too - and have had 10+ Rottie rescues in as many years. I'm down to 1 blind Rottweiler who is 7, and 1 not-Rott (sorta - there was a Rottweiler in there somewhere)...and a 3-year-old Mastiff. And a Cocker, Silky Terrier, Shih Tzu, and small mutt. All are rescues or were dumped on me.

I'm 55 now, my spouse is 60. We are having to face the fact that we aren't as spry as we used to be, and working these dogs daily is a little harder than it used to be. Spouse has had some health concerns that have left him very unsteady on his feet, so we are thinking as we lose the big guys we just won't replace them. It breaks my heart - I love big dogs and particularly the Rottweilers, but I just don't have it in me to start again. Or maybe I don't have it in me to manage 6-9 dogs. Something. I just know I'm TIRED.

One thing I've noticed is the small breeds just don't seem to have the personalities the Rotts do. That's a good and a bad thing. Rottweilers are so loving and protective and SMART. But some of them seem to come with territory issues, and I'm just not getting that from the little guys. At almost retirement age, that's a good thing. The little guys are smart too - but there's just something about Rottweilers. The Mastiff is smart - and I love his temperament. He's just BIG. Everything he does is BIG. His tail is BIG and makes BIG messes when it swipes across tables. And slobber? Lord....but his owner was going to shoot him and I just couldn't let it happen, so here he is. He's a love, don't get me wrong - my life wouldn't be the same without him - but dear Lord, he is BIG.

I'll never be without a dog - but I'll never have 7 again either. Makes me sad - we've always been multi-dog. When we moved to the Caribbean we took 4 Rotts and a mutt with us...when it was time to return the airlines no longer flew big dogs off the island, so we had to charter a private plane to fly them to Puerto Rico...baby, that's love...

Our choices as far as retirement housing at this point are pretty limited. My kids will hate me if I die - who do you ask to take 7 dogs??

I will have to say - the Cocker got dropped in the front yard, icicles hanging off her, hypothermic, just in bad shape. That's the sweetest, most loving, cuddliest, most girly dog I have. She's given me a whole new appreciation for that breed.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:23 PM

6,123 posts, read 5,080,570 times
Bless you, Sam I Am. My husband and I are almost the exact ages of you two, and he has health problems too. I can't imagine caring for so many. 3 cats and 2 pitties pushes us about to the limit, though we love them all. I worry about where they'd go if something happened to both of us too. That's been a topic of a few threads here and on the cat forum, but there's still no good answer. My only plan so far is not to die . I need a better plan.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:16 PM

8,124 posts, read 16,551,182 times
Yes I too have been thru the Breed Changes! From Big dogs to small dogs Now Tiny dogs that dont get double undercoat!

Old 06-23-2012, 08:28 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,453,678 times
I am the kind of dog owner that doesn't buy dogs, I take what come my way. I would much rather take in a dog in need than buy a dog from a breeder. there is no shortage of dogs that will be killed if not given a home.

I currently have six beaglemix/Beagle/American eskimo mixes plus a lab/cattle dog mix. I didn't pay a penny to aqquire any and I love them all.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:38 PM

71 posts, read 118,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
ShermanJoe, I'm a Rottie lover too - and have had 10+ Rottie rescues in as many years. I'm down to 1 blind Rottweiler who is 7, and 1 not-Rott (sorta - there was a Rottweiler in there somewhere)...and a 3-year-old Mastiff. And a Cocker, Silky Terrier, Shih Tzu, and small mutt. All are rescues or were dumped on me.

I'm 55 now, my spouse is 60. We are having to face the fact that we aren't as spry as we used to be, and working these dogs daily is a little harder than it used to be. Spouse has had some health concerns that have left him very unsteady on his feet, so we are thinking as we lose the big guys we just won't replace them. It breaks my heart - I love big dogs and particularly the Rottweilers, but I just don't have it in me to start again. Or maybe I don't have it in me to manage 6-9 dogs. Something. I just know I'm TIRED.

One thing I've noticed is the small breeds just don't seem to have the personalities the Rotts do. That's a good and a bad thing. Rottweilers are so loving and protective and SMART. But some of them seem to come with territory issues, and I'm just not getting that from the little guys. At almost retirement age, that's a good thing. The little guys are smart too - but there's just something about Rottweilers. The Mastiff is smart - and I love his temperament. He's just BIG. Everything he does is BIG. His tail is BIG and makes BIG messes when it swipes across tables. And slobber? Lord....but his owner was going to shoot him and I just couldn't let it happen, so here he is. He's a love, don't get me wrong - my life wouldn't be the same without him - but dear Lord, he is BIG.

I'll never be without a dog - but I'll never have 7 again either. Makes me sad - we've always been multi-dog. When we moved to the Caribbean we took 4 Rotts and a mutt with us...when it was time to return the airlines no longer flew big dogs off the island, so we had to charter a private plane to fly them to Puerto Rico...baby, that's love...

Our choices as far as retirement housing at this point are pretty limited. My kids will hate me if I die - who do you ask to take 7 dogs??

I will have to say - the Cocker got dropped in the front yard, icicles hanging off her, hypothermic, just in bad shape. That's the sweetest, most loving, cuddliest, most girly dog I have. She's given me a whole new appreciation for that breed.
Well we're about the ages of you and your spouse, and there is that spryness thing and energy factor that just isn't what it used to be. The rotties were great (there IS something about them ), but I don't want that amout of work or responsibility at this point. Plus, we are travelling a lot and it's so much easier be on the road with a small dog.

There's not the same type of partnership with my pug as I had with my rottweilers. There seemed to be a sort of mutual respect with the rotties. With the pug being more of an adoring dependent. Very different, but I love BOTH breeds.

For people so devoted to one breed, that they can't see owning any other, I'd suggest that you may find something completely different that you'll love just as much.

Then there's the area of "I'm getting older and now there's a list of breeds/types than I've long admired but will probably never own". For example, I've always had a thing for Vizslas. I'm not sure I'm really up to that energy level these days.

I don't know how you'll work out the 7 dogs and the kids, except to say that I recently gave my donkey to a woman who puts her equines in her will. haha. It is sad to have to downsize or re-structure the critter household. Such is life I suppose, but thank goodness there's a dog for pretty much every situation; can't imagine life without them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs