U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 08:32 AM

3,570 posts, read 7,917,516 times

Advertisements

Need help with ideas on how to keep my 1 1/2 year old shih tzu from eating her feces. I've talked with the vet, dog trainers and all the advice just hasn't worked. We've tried the pills from the vet, stuff you put in her food from Petsmart and someone recently told me to give her pineapple. There are days I still find her going to the little puppy's room on our floor too! My wife is beside herself and my frustration level climbs when this happens. Any thoughts, recommendations??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 09:20 AM

12,387 posts, read 31,337,219 times
Katie was a poop eater yeck I just sprinkeled redhot pepper on the poo after she potties just as she was walking away! So when she turned to eat it .... well it only took 2 days for her to stop! BTW I never said a word just ignored her LOL

Old 06-24-2012, 09:23 AM

404 posts, read 722,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Katie was a poop eater yeck I just sprinkeled redhot pepper on the poo after she potties just as she was walking away! So when she turned to eat it .... well it only took 2 days for her to stop! BTW I never said a word just ignored her LOL
Great, abuse the pup, that is horrible. You try inhaling the pepper then eating it! Sick & wrong. You can clean it up immediately, no more poop eating if it's not available.

Besides abuse that was suggested, what worked for us & many I know is a little bit of canned pumpkin, not pie filling, it's in canned veg section.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:32 AM

Well IF you pore that much on it they just back away sneezing! But to get it to work just put enough on it! Its Not Cruel! Dogs are not dumb!

Horse people use this on wraps on horse legs to kee them from removing the wraps! When my dog broke his leg the vet had me put red pepper on the cast to keep him from removing it.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:36 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,703,190 times
pumpkin only occasiaonally works, and it HAS to be the real canned pumkin not the pie filling stuff.
meat tenderizer does work well (but some folks hae an issue with it due to it containing MSG)

my first question would be:
what food are you feeding? poop eating is a common occurance in puppies and nursing mothers but in "normal adult dogs" its USUALLY indicative of dietary problems. dog foods high in fillers like corn, soy, chicken fat and artificial flavorings come out practically the same way they go in, they dont digest and so the dogs strong sense of smell still picks up on all those "yummy" artificial flavorings and such that we humans cant detect...to a dog though theres no real difference between the smell of whats in thier bowl and whats on the floor...
they also often feel the need to "re-eat" feaces because teir diet is lacking in certain vitamins and minerals because the food is digesting wrong so they "re-eat" in order to glean everything they can from the 'food"

so depending on what your currently feeding id say a switch might be in order, look for a food with NO corn, NO soy, NO byproduct. shes a small dog so feeding her a HIGH premium food isnt going to break the bank so id suggest going grain free or even raw! (little dogs are not that costly to feed "pre-made" raw...)
if this is dietary you should see the behaviour slow and even stop within a few weeks (takes a while for the body to detox)

if this isnt dietarty then its "habit" shes gotten so used to cleaning up her own space, this is often a safety/anxiety basied issue in the beginning (mothers clean up the nest to keep it clean and to prevent potential predators form smelling it and finding the den...) does she fee secure in her own back yard, is she generally a happy go lucky dog or is she a little bit on the nervous side...
CONFIDENCE Building will be a part of the key here...work with her on basic training and reward and priase EVERTHING she does right...dont coment or focus on the mistakes just move back to somehting she does well...build her confidence.

keep the yard clean. if she has time to eat her poop YOUR not being pro-active enough...this also goes for the pooping in the house issue...start with housetraingin 101...take her out more frequently praise her when she goes and have a poop scoop ready. praise her the moment she goes potty where you want her to go, this needs to be a serious party so make a big deal out of it...then pick it up and remove it. you want the celebration before removing it so she doesnt get to thinking she shouldnt be pooping there because you keep removing it that moment so let it sit for a few seconds.
if she does turn to eat it your right there to tell her "leave it" or "ahah...something quick easy and firm but not shouting...if she leaves it again PRAISE like crazy, but you realy are going to need to be seriously ontop of picking up since this is now a habit and habits are tough to break.
dont let her out alone, she needs to be supervised untill shes reliably not poop eating (because if she can do it once when your not looking....why cant she do it when you are...persistence is HUGE with dogs and a clear message needs to be sent out here. by correcting her with a simple firm and short "ah ah" or "no" the MOMENT she goes to sniff the poop your reinforcing the leave it command and distracting her, this distraction EVERY time eventually sinks in and she learns that shes NOT to eat it...but you must be consistent.

and a little sprinkle of meat tenderizer on her meals (about 1/2 a teaspoon a day) should change the scent enough that if YOU screw up and let her get to poop, it wont smell quite as apealing!

good luck, this is definatly a tough habit to break because dogs dont undersnt WHY were so grossed out by it...but if you guys are persistent you can do this!

i never use pepper or anythign containing capsaisin...my dogs dont mind it in small amounts in temr sof flavor (they like spicey foods) and in amounts large enough to get any kind of responce it can cause nose, eye and lung irritation...just not worth the risk to me personally...they LOVE red pepper flakes and steam my parrots dried peppers ALL the time...so id have to use something fairly strong on the pepper front to get any kind of reaction and thats just too much of a risk in MY opinion.

Bitter apple sprayed on the poop however might be a good way to go if real pumpkin or meat tenderizer isnt working for you.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:50 PM

29,988 posts, read 37,095,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_loves_to_cook View Post
Need help with ideas on how to keep my 1 1/2 year old shih tzu from eating her feces. I've talked with the vet, dog trainers and all the advice just hasn't worked. We've tried the pills from the vet, stuff you put in her food from Petsmart and someone recently told me to give her pineapple. There are days I still find her going to the little puppy's room on our floor too! My wife is beside herself and my frustration level climbs when this happens. Any thoughts, recommendations??
Pick it up immediately after she poops and she won't be able to get to it. Crate her inside when she is unattended and she likely won't want to soil her space.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:05 PM

4,654 posts, read 15,736,347 times
My Cleo is going on 16 years old, 50 pound Border Collie mix, she has eaten her stool for 10 years now. She does not bother her brother's, but will eat the stools from dogs at work if it has undigested manner-- should say she used to as due to her age she no longer attends daycare.

At any rate, when it comes down to eating her own my vet basically said it is instinctive and goes back to pre-domestication. Our dogs' ancestors would eat their own stool to hide evidence from predators. I've tried the pineapple, pumpkin and meat tenderizer and none of it did any good.

With her advanced age, either her taste buds have changed or doggy dementia has taken over

Old 07-07-2012, 05:11 PM

I have often wonder if this is more a Female thing... Females are geared to eating poop do to cleaning up after puppies Even If they been spayed Never had pups! I also noticed it between breeds some do it more! Of ALL the Breeds I had Cockers & Corgis seem to eat poo! Just a thought!

Old 07-08-2012, 02:31 AM

16,487 posts, read 21,010,430 times
We had a male Cairn Terrier and later a Chihuahua that ate their own poop, disgusting habit.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:36 AM

6,475 posts, read 9,888,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
dog foods high in fillers like corn, soy, chicken fat and artificial flavorings come out practically the same way they go in, they dont digest and so the dogs strong sense of smell still picks up on all those "yummy" artificial flavorings and such that we humans cant detect...to a dog though theres no real difference between the smell of whats in thier bowl and whats on the floor...
I have 5 dogs, 3 are fosters. One of my dogs is raw fed (the other is toothless, can't do raw). She's been with me for about 8 years, and has ALWAYS eaten the other dogs' feces. She won't eat her own. They're fed Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diet formulas, but I bet the above is why she still eats it. She must smell something "yummy" in there.

I've tried the tablets, pineapple, pumpkin, you name it. Some just do it. That's it. Only thing to do is pick it up as soon as it hits the ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs