Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2012, 09:12 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,045,334 times

Advertisements

Last week, I had to take my Yorkie to the Vet since he had blood in his stool. I only switched him to Acana perhaps like 3 weeks ago, but I only put in 12-14 kibbles into his old food which he ate fine then. So I did notice his stool looked a brownish-red then but it turn to bloody-red. The Vet put him on Science Diet W/D and Saturday I was suppose to mix in his new dry with it, which is Acana. He ate fine then with his new food. Today has been a different story. He would not touch the dry food at all, only the wet and hardly much of that this morning. I had put the wet in the middle and the dry around. Someone told me that they mix the dry with the wet, so I tried that tonight and he hardly touched it and picked out a few of the dry. I tried the Acana dry, but he would touch it. I added warm water and still wouldn't touch it.

So then I gave him a buffet of his new food Acana, Natural Balance Ultra, Natural Variety’s Prairie and a scoop of the wet Science Diet W/D. I only gave him a small amount of each dry. I have a small sample bag of the Natural Balance Ultra and Natural Variety Prairie. He gulped down the wet and left the dry.

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 04:32 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
When I had switched Artie from TOTW to Orijen, he got blood in his stool. It turned out that the new Orijen formula (80/20) -- instead of the 70/30, which he'd done well on for the whole 30 lb. bag -- was way too rich for him.

Champion -- the makers of Orijen and Acana -- suggested that I switch to Acana because it wasn't nearly as protein-heavy or rich. But I just switched him back to TOTW instead.

Perhaps the Acana is just too rich for your Yorkie?

Also: he's probably really liking the wet food and, by leaving the kibble behind, he's making sure that you know that he prefers the wet stuff.

It's really tough work finding a kibble that your dog likes -- and CONTINUES to like. I know this.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:48 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,361,755 times
Yup, the minute the recall was over Mr. Odie the grand pooh bah of the house went right back on TOTW lamb formula, he does soooo well on it.

Was there a reason for changing your dog food in the first place?

Old 06-27-2012, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Yup, the minute the recall was over Mr. Odie the grand pooh bah of the house went right back on TOTW lamb formula, he does soooo well on it.

Was there a reason for changing your dog food in the first place?
I didn't realize that TOTW had a lamb formula. I alternate between bison/venison and the fowl formulas for Artie. Next time I order, though, I'm getting some lamb for the boy!

Old 06-27-2012, 08:27 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,361,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I didn't realize that TOTW had a lamb formula. I alternate between bison/venison and the fowl formulas for Artie. Next time I order, though, I'm getting some lamb for the boy!
Yup - it's called Sierra Mountain:

Quote:
Protein: 25% Minimum, Fat: 15% Minimum
Calcium: 1.6%, as-fed; Phosphorus: 1.0%, as-fed
Calories: 3,611 kcal/kg (338 kcal/cup) Calculated Metabolizable Energy
Available in 5lb, 15lb and 30lb bags.

Ingredients
Lamb, lamb meal, sweet potatoes, potatoes, peas, canola oil, pea protein, roasted lamb, tomato pomace, natural flavor, salt, choline chloride, mixed tocopherols (a natural preservative and source of vitamin E), dried chicory root, taurine, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.
I like all of the TOTW products but Odie gets a bit gassy on the Bison formula and I've heard that the Fish formula will make their breath stinky...LOL. I also like it because all the formulas have probiotics in it so you don't need to suppliment. I have a GF with a Sheltie who has a "whimpy" stomach and gets upset at the drop of the hat yet she continues to feed something else that's considered "high quality" yet it does have some grains and no probiotics so she has to supplement with them.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Yup - it's called Sierra Mountain:

I like all of the TOTW products but Odie gets a bit gassy on the Bison formula and I've heard that the Fish formula will make their breath stinky...LOL. I also like it because all the formulas have probiotics in it so you don't need to suppliment. I have a GF with a Sheltie who has a "whimpy" stomach and gets upset at the drop of the hat yet she continues to feed something else that's considered "high quality" yet it does have some grains and no probiotics so she has to supplement with them.
I once gave Artie the fish formula. We didn't even get to the stinky breath part -- Artie just wouldn't go near it. (The food, actually, smells horrible. Maybe that's why he wasn't interested. And if the smell of the kibble is anything like the fishy breath smell that he'd have, then I have to thank him for hating it.)

I just bought a 30-lb bag of food -- haven't even opened it yet -- but I made a note that the next bag will be lamb. Thanks!

Old 06-27-2012, 10:12 AM

217 posts, read 215,306 times
Hello Veggienut !
Let me ask you:
How old is your pet?
Did you make analysis a stool and a biochemical blood analysis?
What kind of food (except Acana) do you have in you area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs