U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 07:31 AM

13,781 posts, read 18,685,586 times

Advertisements

i bought a thundershirt and they are selling them at petsmart now so that was great and they will give you your money back if it does not work on your dog . I guess I will find out this holiday and if it does not work I will be taking it back . LOL !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 08:38 AM

110 posts, read 280,792 times
My dog is not 'afraid' of fireworks,exactly but the "booms" make him unfortable. Unfortunately, I live in one of those places where any Joe on the street can purchase fireworks. And every Joe does. After learning the hard way last year we will be spending two nights in a hotel. The hotel is not in a residential area so there are very few people around at night to shoot off fireworks.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:03 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,299,532 times
What else???
I go hide under the bed with them.

It's nice to be in a state that money burners are illegal, but you know how it is, there's always inconsiderate nedrecks that have to smuggle them in from other states and watch their money go up in smoke.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:33 AM

2,051 posts, read 3,538,386 times
We had a cocker who would run up to the lit firework, and stand over it barking. I'm surprised he never got his face blown off.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:45 AM

5,677 posts, read 6,506,765 times
My male GSD is deathly afraid of fireworks. A few weeks ago the town bordering our land had a celebration, none of which I realised until the fireworks started. The shock waves hit right off our house. It was 11 o`clock at night, and I was in my jammies, but I took the dogs in the SUV and off we went. I drove as far as I had to to get away from the sound of fireworks. And then we came home.

Car rides soothe my dog and I've done that during thunderstorms as well, although that isn't always possible.

Last edited by netwit; 06-27-2012 at 10:46 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-27-2012, 10:57 AM

36,488 posts, read 41,660,628 times
My community/state has very permissive fireworks legislation over the Independence Day holiday, and it sounds like a war zone for about five days surrounding the holiday, and it is definitely widespread. Nothing much throws my dog into a panic EXCEPT for fireworks and angry, raised voices. If my SO and I argue, he tries to fit himself into a less-than-a-foot-wide space between the bed and wall. Same thing when the fireworks start. We learned our first Fourth with him not to take him outside really after dark. If we go watch fireworks, I will crate him (as I do whenever we leave), but he'll likely get scared and pee all over himself. I'll put on a music channel and turn it up as loud as I can, but he'll still feel the explosions. We used to use Clomicalm for separation anxiety when we first adopted him, and that might take the edge off. I may see about refilling a prescription.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
We had a cocker who would run up to the lit firework, and stand over it barking. I'm surprised he never got his face blown off.
I had a malamute growing up who would try to spar with them...go up and bite at one. She was tough as nails, no fear.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:59 AM

I also can't picture my dog doing anything with a thundershirt except for shredding it to ribbons.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:31 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,026,115 times
My oldest dog could care less about fireworks, heck he sleeps though the most violent storms. My newest one I have no idea......

Old 06-27-2012, 11:31 AM

5,000 posts, read 14,431,392 times
I turn up the radio and try to calm my dog. She did okay until last year when our state started allowing mortar type aerial fireworks. The booming and pop noises from those made my dog react as if there was someone intruding in her territory. Wouldn't have been THAT bad if she weren't blind. She'd react to the noise by jumping off furniture and running into walls or furniture to get outside to bark at the noise. It stresses me out to have to watch her so she doesn't injure herself trying to get outside.

Hoping that with our wildfire issues here, that our city will limit firework use to those that stay on the ground and not allow aerials this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or