Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 12:33 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,599,760 times

Advertisements

Mine only starts to get antsy when it's the finale. She is, however, afraid of water :-/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 01:39 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,106,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Mine only starts to get antsy when it's the finale. She is, however, afraid of water :-/
LOL - mine too...he's pretty brave for fireworks, but when he hears the bath water running he takes off running and hides!

Old 06-27-2012, 02:12 PM

110 posts, read 348,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
My community/state has very permissive fireworks legislation over the Independence Day holiday, and it sounds like a war zone for about five days surrounding the holiday, and it is definitely widespread.
It is a quality of life issue and it bugs the heck out of me that the laws where I live is so permissive with respect to fireworks. I would feel the same even if I did not have a pet.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:22 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times
Ugh, my poor Mickey is terrified of fireworks and thunder. Where I live, there is a thing called "The Night of the 3rd".

Once upon a time when I was a kid, we couldn't even have a bon fire out on the beach on the 4th of July. That was back in the 60's and 70's. THEN a magazine in Boston named our beach as the best place to party for the night of the 3rd and then get more fireworks the next night! Year after year the crowds grew and eventually the cops cordoned(sp) off the beach after 6 P.M. to anyone excpet residents. It's the cops' fault, they never did anything to stop this until a couple of years ago when things were really out of control. Ever seen lines of cops in riot gear walk down a street elbow to elbow??? I have. Images of every riot I have ever seen on tv pops into my head. It's quite scarey.

Last year the paddy wagons, the equines, the motorcycles, you name it, were out. A bunch of us neighbors were watching the activity going on around us more than the fireworks sometimes!

The last M80's go off around 3:30-4 A.M. and then it's quiet as a mouse around here until 10-11. I used to take the 4th off from work since I haven't slept on the 3rd for years.

Poor Mickey stays under the bed the whole night holding his piddle. There is nothing I can do to get that poor dog out the door. Maybe this year his leash will entice him out. I leave the patioroom door open so he can go out his doggy door if he feels brave.

I'm moving soon from my childhood home here and I sure won't miss having to put everything under the sun out on the edges of my corner lot to keep the cars off my lawn and sleeping the night of the 3rd. Hopefully Mickey will have to endure only 4th of July then.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:33 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
Hoping that with our wildfire issues here, that our city will limit firework use to those that stay on the ground and not allow aerials this year.
My neighbors can still burn up yards with those.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:37 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,268,930 times
Thank goodness we are under an almost statewide burn ban and most fireworks celebrations have been canceled, as well as charcoal grills. That's right, no grilling for the 4th unless it's a gas grill.

Most of the dogs do fine - the Mastiff can move the king-sized bed when agitated...and that's where I sleep, or try to...

I've tried everything I can think of to calm that boy down - it just doesn't happen. All I can think is yippee, home free until New Year's!!!

Old 06-27-2012, 08:25 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,634,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Most, if not all dogs, are afraid of fireworks.
What do you do to calm your pet ?
Bob.
Well, Colorado is on fire right now. Currently, private fireworks are illegal in 21 counties on the eastern side of the state. Jeffco (the first in the metro area) has cancelled all, including professional fireworks displays for the 4th. It might be the beginning of a trend? However, when our state is not normally on fire...

We go to the basement. If it is extra loud, I'll put them in the bathroom and turn on the exhaust fan in the basement. We use this for thunderstorm's, too.

Last edited by LuvABull.Denver; 06-27-2012 at 08:37 PM..

Old 06-28-2012, 12:32 AM

12 posts, read 12,710 times
I have a dog, but he isn't afaid of fireworks.

Old 06-30-2012, 04:29 PM

430 posts, read 1,694,679 times
Fireworks are already going off around here, and my Jack Russell/Chihuahua is having a really hard time. My vet is not a fan of prescription sedatives. I may try to find a thundershirt today and will check if our little holistic type pet food place has an herbal or homeopathic remedy. Last night when it got bad and she wasn't comforted by being held, sitting with me, being in the crate, etc., I turned our ottoman on its side, put a blankie in there and she liked that. Probably helped that she was near the TV which I had turned up a little louder than normal.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:54 PM

244 posts, read 1,227,482 times
My Jack Russel gets super freaked out at Fireworks. We usually just put him to bed early, IN the basement, behind a closed door and he's fine! We usually try to prevent this on New YEars and 4th of July when we know there will be fireworks. However, they had a firework show after the races tonight and we didn't know about it. My 16 yr old came home from a friends and our dog was running around the front yard. He had dug our of his kennel in the back yard and escaped. We are lucky he wasn't one of those dead dogs on the road and that he was smart enough to hang around our house. He is now peacefully sleeping in his bed...IN the basement...behind closed doors
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs