U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 08:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,113 times

Advertisements

My Lab mix tore his ACL in half 3months ago. I did have surgery on him (800.00 later) when his limping for about a week, was to the point he would not use the leg. Now he still limps and sometimes he does not walk on the leg. He is 2 1/2 years old and is hard to keep him still. He loves to run and run!!!! Does anyone know how long it takes for a 100lb lab to finally heal? He had lost 20 lbs in the first 4 weeks after his surgery..now he is back up to the original weight but is not fat...he is so tall and you still see his ribs. The vet said he is not overweight. He still can not sit right. I am concerned it has happened again....does it ????? Some advice would be wonderful....from the best dog in the world's mom.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 12:25 PM

26,319 posts, read 24,418,305 times
My Bichon just had ACL surgery...we're going to get the stitches out on Sat. He's listening and I'm keeping him confined.

Here's what bothers me...all my life I've had dogs, from begals, to labs, to dobermans, and my last was a redbone coonhound, and all of them were very very very active sporting dogs...

I've never heard of this before, and I'm very curious why it is not uncommon now? I'm wondering if it has something to do with bad breeding and it is in the genes?

Same with cancer in dogs...never heard of it before, and now, it's pretty common? Why? Is it the chemicals in the dog food? Something just isn't right...when I was growing up and as I said, had dogs all my life, my aunt trained German Shepards, bred them, showed them and gave classes, and these injuries were not common then? Doesn't make sense, there has got to be a reason.

What do you think?

Creme
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or