Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 01:30 PM

484 posts, read 1,625,528 times

Advertisements

Sam,

I used to do the 1/10th of a cc per 10 lbs of body weight and recently was told that this may be excessive. My vet tech who let me in on this secret suggested I cut the dose in half and of course have the dog checked for HW yearly. You do not want to overdose the dog with the 1% solution of ivomectin. Ivomec Plus is already in a solution of food grade glycol and sterile water straight from the bottle.

Vets will probably howl about this idea as a goodly part of their income is derived from selling meds to pet owners. I can't help that, but as you said,,, we do what we have to do in order to keep our dogs healthy and also keep the costs reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 02:22 PM

484 posts, read 1,625,528 times
Sam,

As a minor follow up comment, Ivermicten IS a preventive. You give it to your dog and it goes in and cleans up any bad worm infections that happened in the past few weeks. There is some evidence that says that ivermecten is more effective than previously thought, i.e., you could probably give the dose every 45 days instead of every 30 days, and your dog would still be protected. I'm not one to take a gamble on my dog's health, but HW infection takes about 6 months to show up on a blood test, I'd say keeping the dog current on HW meds every 4-6 weeks should be sufficient.

Just sayin', go to the vet and get 6 months of HeartGuard meds for $45.00,,, or get 7 years of protection for $35.00 is a no brainer to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs