Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2007, 09:57 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,172,258 times

Advertisements

I don't remember seeing this on TV and I watch two different news stations every morning. Well, I watch one of our Central Florida news stations from 6am to 7am and then I watch the Today Show from 7am to 9am. Of course it didn't make the local news here because it was in Texas, but nearly every so-called (I say so-called because most of them aren't even really "pit bulls") "pit bull" attack makes it to shows like the Today Show, I wonder why no other attacks make to national news? Why not this one?

Anyway, I have my e-mail set up to send me news stories on dog attacks and I just checked my e-mail and found this.. KTRE-TV - Lufkin/Nacogdoches, TX - Texarkana: school police dog chases, bites kindergartner

Taken from text:

Quote:
School officials in Texarkana say a kindergarten boy running near a K-9 police dog during an assembly was chased by the German shepherd and bitten -- twice.
First of all, why would they have that dog close enough to the children to do that?

Taken from text:

Quote:
Russell says the district is now investigating whether it will continue using the dog, which was being controlled by a fairly new handler.
Why would they have a new handler working with a police dog around young children?! It's common sense that not all children, especially younger children, know how to act around dogs and how to not act around dogs. Having a police dog, with a new handler, around a bunch of excited children doesn't sound like the best idea to me. I'm glad that the boy wasn't seriously hurt, it's good that it wasn't worse than it was!

Last edited by PitBullMommie1206; 09-27-2007 at 10:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 10:54 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,907,331 times
Wow. I notice a few things. First, where were the teachers and why didn't they tell the kids not to run around near the dog??? Sounds like it wasn't organized very well.
Stressing to not run, yell or get the dog excited is fairly easy for a 5 year old to understand I would think.

And as far as the PO...who knows what happened but he should have had better control of the dog. It sounds like the excitement maybe got the dog confused and reacted.

It's too bad the kid was bit...and I agree, why don't stories like this hit the airwaves???

*I've watched K-9 dogs in action up close and personal. Several local K-9 units "practice" in an area of the valley where I run w/ my dogs...once I was cutting through the valley not knowing they were there till I was right on top of them...whoops!
Luckily, I found another path to cut through...but still, I would not want to tangle with a startled K-9 dog.*

Old 09-28-2007, 09:18 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Fyi - Just yesterday on the local (San Francisco) news, they had a story about 2 Rottweilers who attacked a young boy. I know you're upset about the bad rap of Bully Breeds, but the good news sources report fairly... and no, they didn't even mention Pit Bulls in the story. Anyway, I think the incidents are all equally bad, no matter what the breed!

Here's a link to the printed version of this story: Man whose dogs mauled boy sentenced to jail

Old 09-28-2007, 12:12 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,268,930 times
Giz, I don't think they report fairly - if we heard about every beagle bite in the world, there wouldn't be room for anything else in the paper! Nope - there is a concerted effort to outlaw the larger breeds or the breeds that need more work - and I will give a point that Rotties and Pitties and some of the larger breeds are NOT for the average...dare I say it? irresponsible owner, but someone who is committed to working with that dog every day of it's life to bring out the best in it. Nope, people are bitten and attacked or whatever word you want to use every day by other breeds, but you never, ever hear about that....and occasionally you will see what is posted as a Rottie "attack" and that dog isn't any more Rottweiler than I am! We've got our share of problems with the people who don't know what they are doing that have these breeds, but I do think it gets stretched of proportion sometimes. A lot of the time.

Dang. The neighbor's palamino bit me the other day....there was my 15 minutes of fame and I missed it...

Old 09-28-2007, 12:22 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,406,757 times
You shouldve called the newspaper and told them it was a pitbull. they wouldve taken pics and everything and put it in the papers and news. They wouldnt have been able to tell teh difference.

Old 09-28-2007, 12:28 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,268,930 times
HA! hey, is that a picture of you with the dogs in the Bridge thread? Good to put a face with a name - and beautiful babies you've shown off...

Old 09-28-2007, 01:30 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,406,757 times
Bridge thread ?

Old 09-28-2007, 04:57 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,172,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Giz, I don't think they report fairly - if we heard about every beagle bite in the world, there wouldn't be room for anything else in the paper! Nope - there is a concerted effort to outlaw the larger breeds or the breeds that need more work - and I will give a point that Rotties and Pitties and some of the larger breeds are NOT for the average...dare I say it? irresponsible owner, but someone who is committed to working with that dog every day of it's life to bring out the best in it. Nope, people are bitten and attacked or whatever word you want to use every day by other breeds, but you never, ever hear about that....and occasionally you will see what is posted as a Rottie "attack" and that dog isn't any more Rottweiler than I am! We've got our share of problems with the people who don't know what they are doing that have these breeds, but I do think it gets stretched of proportion sometimes. A lot of the time.

Dang. The neighbor's palamino bit me the other day....there was my 15 minutes of fame and I missed it...
I couldn't agree more! As I have said many times before, I have known a lot of Labs that have attacked/ bitten people, but none of them made the news! I have been attacked by a Lab, my brother was attacked by a Lab, my neighbors (when I was younger) owned a Lab that attacked 5 people before it was put to sleep and our neighbors across the street from us own a Lab/ Shepherd mix that ran into our yard and attacked our male APBTs! Not one of those stories even made local news and if you ask me, the Lab that attacked 5 people within 2 weeks should have made the news! That's a pretty big deal! If a poorly bred, abused, neglected "pit bull" looking dog attacks one person, it makes national news and the dog is put down, but when a young Lab attacks 5 people, it's not a big deal? That's a HUGE deal, it shouldn't have had the opportunity to attack 4 more people, and if that dog was a "pit bull", a Rotty or a Doby, it wouldn't of had that chance! The media coverage it not fair at all! Dogs that aren't even pits or Rotties get called pits or Rotties to get better ratings and when the dog is actually a pit or Rottie it gets blown up into this huge national story! But if another breed attacks, it hardly ever even makes local news! The truth is that any dog can be poorly bred, any dog can end up with an irresponsible owner, any dog can attack and any dog can cause serious harm or even death! But people have this impression that pits and Rotties are these man-eating, vicious, killing machines, so that's what they want to hear about! The don't want to hear about the Lab that attacked 5 people within 2 weeks, so the media doesn't cover that. If the media was fair, people wouldn't think of pits, Rotties, etc, the same way they do right now!

Old 10-01-2007, 10:23 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post

When was the last time a Beagle bite killed or critically injured somebody? If my friend's Malti-poos bit you, it would probably hurt, but it's unlikely you'd die as a result. Anyway, I'm not saying Pits (or whatever the proper name is) aren't portrayed in a bad light - I think we all know that's true... but the fact is that certain breeds are more capable of causing REAL harm, and those are the stories that break.

Disclaimer: Do I hate Pits, Rotties, etc. because of this? Of course not! I've known many wonderful dogs of these breeds, and fully agree that it's the owner who ultimately causes the attacks... not the dog itself. I'm just trying to explain why these make the news, when a Chihuahua attack probably wouldn't.

Old 10-01-2007, 05:41 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,710,039 times
Thats terrible. What is up with the K9 Officers lately. At least 2 died by being left in the officer's cars??

I think this dog needs a good evaluation before they think about continuing to use him. A stab;e well socialized/trained shepherd breed won't likely grab a child. It can be their instinct to nip/herd kids but you can't have that going on with a dog that will be out in the public often.

Some of these dogs are really well trained and others are lacking. It all depends. I saw one video where a police dog wouldn't out, he drug the suspect by the ankle and kept on shaking. Scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs