Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2007, 10:48 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,173,078 times

Advertisements

This one is from last month, but like the others that I have posted so far, I didn't hear about this? Hmm.. Maybe because it's not an attack by a so-called "pit bull"... Another horrible story though!

Here is the news story.. Top Stories: Baby Killed By Dog | county, stray, animal - wtvc.com

Taken from text:

Quote:
In the most recent case 15-month-old Elijah Rackley apparently tried to play with one of the Chow-mix's puppies Saturday. Back in December some people told us McMinn County has a serious problem with stray animals after a 15-year-old boy was mauled by stray Pit Bulls. But in this latest incident Rackley didn't survive his injuries. The child and his family were about to celebrate his 16-month birthday in a few days.

His life was cut short in the back yard of his grandfather's house. He apparently wandered too close to a Chow-mix female dog that was tied down with a chain.
It is amazing to me that people just cannot understand that NO dog should EVER be CHAINED up, NO MATTER WHAT, and children should NOT be UNATTENDED with any dog, REGARDLESS OF BREED! I just don't understand what is so confusing or difficult about that!?

It's ridiculous to me that they feel the need to throw in something about a so-called "pit bull" attack that has absolutely nothing to do with this story!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 10:59 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,908,132 times
Unhappy How tragic!

Why do some people have dogs...seriously? I am amazed at how irresponsible people can be.

This is such a terrible shame that the toddler was even exposed to these dogs.
Some people shouldn't have dogs...no matter what breed and it's apparent that some people shouldn't have kids either.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:29 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,409,197 times
Tragic story. People will never learn. So long as people do stupid things, tragic things will occur.

Old 09-28-2007, 01:42 AM

1,179 posts, read 8,710,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullMommie1206 View Post
This one is from last month, but like the others that I have posted so far, I didn't hear about this? Hmm.. Maybe because it's not an attack by a so-called "pit bull"... Another horrible story though!

Here is the news story.. Top Stories: Baby Killed By Dog | county, stray, animal - wtvc.com

Taken from text:

It is amazing to me that people just cannot understand that NO dog should EVER be CHAINED up, NO MATTER WHAT, and children should NOT be UNATTENDED with any dog, REGARDLESS OF BREED! I just don't understand what is so confusing or difficult about that!?

It's ridiculous to me that they feel the need to throw in something about a so-called "pit bull" attack that has absolutely nothing to do with this story!
That is tragic!!! Has nothing to do with chaining at all. It has to do with a dog that has a poor temperament should be culled and worthless parents who let their kid unsupervised.

Its amazing how many kids are left alone. Parents want to cry when the kid is kidnapped, hit by a car, drowned in pools or whatever else. One 2yr old was mauled by a Pit Bull in CA and was several blocks away from his house. What kind of parent lets their 2yr old blocks away in an inner city?????? The owner was wrong for training the dog as a guard dog for his weed patch, however if the parent hadn't been negligent their kid would still be alive. They need to take some responsibility. If they care watch the kid. Both are at fault.

Many children are bitten, killed and attacked in their own home by a "trusted" family dog. I see this very frequently either mauled INSIDE by their own pet or their friends dog. In other cases kids have climbed into fences or even opened unlocked gates to backyards and been mauled, one 6yr old boy even climbed a 6ft kennel and was killed by a Rottweiler.

I think no dog should be neglected, and no idiots in an ideal world should own dogs. The same goes for children, they shouldn't be neglected, abused, unsupervised. People need to wake up and realize!! Why was this small 15 month old outside with the dog in the 1st place? Its obvious the dog couldn't be trusted with the child. Some people amaze me. All I can say is WHERE WERE THE PARENTS. So many deaths could have been prevented if the parents were around or new where there kids were.

I really hate that story about the lady who's 12yr old was mauled by the Pit Bull. Why on earth would you lock your 12yr old in the basement to protect him from the Pit Bull and then say the dog was never aggressive? So what was she trying to protect him for? Say the dog was acting aggressive (protective) about the female that they wanted him to breed and then say he wasn't aggressive. If you haven't read the story you can google it, that crazy lady makes Pit Bull owners look stupid and careless.

Although it does amaze me the myths about chaining and how people don't understand it. I'm sure soon enough all forms of containment will be outlawed and all dogs liberated. You know we are holding them captive and using them as slaves and they hate it. Like that ape that actually had a law suit in San Fransisco because they could sign that their civil liberties were being oppressed.
We had one hotel worker warn me that another customer had complained to the front desk about us and was going to call the police because our dogs were in crates and we transported them in the dog trailer and that was "abuse". We were like good, let them call then. It will be funny.
Unless of course we are supposed to keep them in kennel crates all the time? Thats a good idea for protection. Just have them around like an accessory. We can't have them free inside, chained outside, left in a fenced yard or placed in a kennel they might maul someone if they are free. Maybe that will be the new alternative to banning, but I doubt it, they will just want all dogs "Free".
There are myths about spay/neuter as well. There are so many good reason to spay/neuter pets. I'm ALL for it, but when people start making it seem like its going to make your dog a super great pet they are setting the pet owner up for possibly false expectations and that leads to trouble. The same with the Pit Bull people who believe its "all in how you raise them" so naive. People should just stick to the facts. Be knowledgeable, research, train, socialized and raise your animals right and not breed dogs of poor temperament!!

Old 09-28-2007, 06:18 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
[quote=PitBullMommie1206;1599417]
It is amazing to me that people just cannot understand that NO dog should EVER be CHAINED up, NO MATTER WHAT, and children should NOT be UNATTENDED with any dog, REGARDLESS OF BREED! I just don't understand what is so confusing or difficult about that!? [quote]

This can't be said often enough!! It doesn't matter what the breed, no matter if it's a family dog, no matter what!!! Never leave a child alone with a dog, not even "for a minute" because it's easier for you to just step out of the room for a moment than take the child with you, or take the dog with you "for a minute".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs