U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 12:59 PM

7,330 posts, read 13,170,630 times

Advertisements

By coincidence (well, maybe not such a coincidence considering the weather in most of the US) someone just put this link on Facebook. Scroll down and there's a chart of how the temperature rises over various periods of time.

Pets in vehicles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 01:08 PM

12,387 posts, read 31,343,833 times
I am Not saying she shouldnt have broke the window I AM saying she had 40 mins to do it in while waiting for the police! Even if she couldnt find the owner she could got help!

Old 07-02-2012, 03:09 PM

6,067 posts, read 8,325,737 times
I would never leave Max in the hot car for even a few minutes. The other day I took him to the vet and I had to run an errand on the way back. I took him home first. Anyone who leaves a dog in a car in the heat should get a hefty fine.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:04 PM

588 posts, read 1,196,394 times
I wouldn't leave my dog in a car, either, but I do think some people overreact.

Some random lady,who happened to be walking down the sidewalk in front of my house, freaked out on me the other day for "leaving" my dog "in a hot car." I was on my way to my parents' house and had about twelve loads of stuff to put in my car. I fully loaded my car, went back inside to get my dog, put her in the car, and then realized that I hadn't turned off my hallway light. I left the driver's door open, went back up to my front door, which is about 15 feet from where my car was sitting, unlocked the door, reached inside to turn off the light, and relocked the door. My dog was "left" in the car for less than one minute while I took care of that task. Yet, the woman walking down the sidewalk completely freaked out on me for leaving my dog. She was lecturing me about how dogs die in hot cars and how I was breaking the law to do what I did. I shut her up by pointing out that her lecture meant my dog was in the car unattended even longer.

I still think the woman overreacted. Should I have taken my dog out of the car completely? Probably. Was she likely FINE for the 30-45 seconds I ws "gone"? YES!

Old 07-02-2012, 08:25 PM

21,287 posts, read 11,520,139 times
This story made me angry that someone could be this friggin stupid. I couldn't have lasted 4 minutes in a car today with the windows cracked, much less 40. Idiot owner!

Old 07-03-2012, 12:42 AM

29,041 posts, read 44,910,327 times
All I can say is, I'm glad I live in Northern California.

When I lived in San Francisco (first 4 years of Rudy's life), temperatures were rarely if ever a concern - especially not in the summer, as that's often the coolest & foggiest time of year. It's a bit warmer where I live now, but still only gets HOT for maybe a month altogether... and I simply use common sense with the dog, as it's usually obvious when temps are too high for him.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:44 AM

29,041 posts, read 44,910,327 times
Oh, but yes I would smash a window if the dog was in obvious distress/danger.

I would NOT go around smashing windows in comfortable weather, just because the dog was unattended... that's ridiculous IMO.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:20 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,017,218 times
Just last week I parked next to a small sedan with all four windows open about 3-4 inches each. Would this be enough I wondered, for the dog inside not to overheat? So I turned off my mini van, opened the back vents - which only open a few inches; opened the two front windows about four inches....and sat there. I made it just over five minutes and couldn't take it. Not sure if the sedan had it better with more air thru the back windows than what my van had...sort of hard to compare the two. So I wrote a note, put it on the windshield & stated my concerns. I wrote that I was headed into store to ask them to page owner. Out comes a young girl before anyone was called, and she said I over-reacted. Did I?

Old 07-07-2012, 01:55 PM

2,873 posts, read 4,742,223 times
This is one of the primary reasons I have an auto-start system in the car. For example, I had to take one of the cats to the vet the other day and her prescription had to filled at the pharmacy. With the auto-start I could leave the car running but take the keys, so over heating wasn't a concern. I still would never leave them for more than a few minutes at a time.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:22 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,707,191 times
no you didnt overreact...infact you could have called the police as it IS illegal in every state i know of to leave pets in the car like that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or