Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 09:47 AM

621 posts, read 1,422,174 times

Advertisements

There are many breeds that will go for upward of $1000. If that is what the person wants, then that is the price.
If you want a specific set of traits, then you look for a breed that has those traits. Meet the mother of the litter, find out about the sire of the litter and if possible the grandparents of the litter. If all have the traits you are seeking, then go for it. Over the lifetime of the dog, the purchase price is a mere pittance of what you will spend.

What is crazy to me is people who will spend thousands of dollars on a mix breed designer dog. But, again, it's their money.
Adoption is good, and works for many people, but not for others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 10:56 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,457,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualie View Post
Over the lifetime of the dog, the purchase price is a mere pittance of what you will spend.

this is so true.

my rescue beagle cost me 50 dollars to get, 15 years or so ago. within a year he cost me over 3000 dollars. 1000 security deposit on our apt(we were young and gave him too much freedom), 2000 to save his life when he ate the neighbors slug bait and started seizuring and needed his stomach pumped. added to the ~20 or so hats and pairs of underwear he destroyed

my rescue weim was free, because i got him straight from the source. in 6 months he cost me about 800 in vet bills for my cat when he attacked, ~2000 for my beagles vet bill+creamation when he attacked, plus the loss of said beagle. (in my defense, the 'breeder' failed to inform me this weim was returned twice previously for his high prey drive and attacked smaller animals..found that out after the 2nd attack)

not saying all rescues are a pain, the beagle was really cool after he matured a little. my collie mix was the perfect dog for 14 years.

my wolfhound so far cost me $1500 to get. and hasn't destroyed anything and hasn't attacked anyone. so in 6 months im about par with the 2 rescues lol.

the pup we are bringing home tonight is costing $250 to rescue and i'm praying it goes well..

Old 07-12-2012, 11:17 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,934,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I am in the rescue/shelter camp, although clearly you aren't. I have never understood why people HAVE to have a purebred when there are so, so, so many dogs already born who will be killed because not enough people want them. And your "aesthetic" reasons? Wow. Anything I can say would make me sound like a total *****, so let me just say that I am ... appalled.

And getting a puppy when you already know that you have to be gone for several hours every day? Sounds like an older, trained dog would be MUCH better in that situation (for you AND the dog).

I dont see what the big deal is here? It's his money and his time? If he doesn't want a pound dog, that is his perogative

Old 07-12-2012, 04:41 PM

188 posts, read 515,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rob View Post
I dont see what the big deal is here? It's his money and his time? If he doesn't want a pound dog, that is his perogative
I agree with you on that point... however, I wish dogs at shelters wouldn't get such a bad rap. Adult dogs need a home too and in most cases, they are better and less time consuming than puppies.

I have had two purebred huskies that I've rescued. $100 each for the cost of chipping and vaccines. Best investments I've ever made because it saved both of their lives and they have been great companions.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:36 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
I took my daughter to donate her time playing with the kitten at the pound yesterday and someone came out with a dog they just adopted. It was a beautiful purebred Collie. It jumped into their car like it had been a part of their family for years, it was sweet.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:29 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,791,093 times
I paid $1000 for my Samoyed... I didn't rescue because I wanted a specific breed, and because I wanted a puppy that my 20 yr old Siamese could boss around, so he'd grow to respect him.

I wasn't sure what temperament rescues had. I'm sure a lot of them were fine, but I really needed to make sure. The breeder I bought from socialized her puppies with cats. It worked out well for me, but I'm not averse to rescue. If I no longer had my cat, I'd definitely rescue.

Here's Ziggy:

And the boys chillin!

Old 07-13-2012, 07:53 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
^^Beautiful dog. And people should buy purebred dogs from responsible breeders if that's what they want. I just wanted to say that, like having a watch dog, being good with cats is not a specific need that requires a purebred. Puppies of just about any breed or mix that are raised with cats will do fine with them. And many if not most adult dogs of various mixes will do well with cats. It just takes a little more work for many adults because kitties are so exciting! There have been a few dog/cat threads recently so I'm repeating myself, but many dog foster parents have cats, so a person can be more sure of what to expect. No one who has a cat should hesitate to rescue a dog or puppy if that's what they would do otherwise.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:19 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,810,953 times
Ziggy is beautiful!!!! and rep for you tabbcat.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:29 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
^^Beautiful dog. And people should buy purebred dogs from responsible breeders if that's what they want. I just wanted to say that, like having a watch dog, being good with cats is not a specific need that requires a purebred. Puppies of just about any breed or mix that are raised with cats will do fine with them. And many if not most adult dogs of various mixes will do well with cats. It just takes a little more work for many adults because kitties are so exciting! There have been a few dog/cat threads recently so I'm repeating myself, but many dog foster parents have cats, so a person can be more sure of what to expect. No one who has a cat should hesitate to rescue a dog or puppy if that's what they would do otherwise.

^^Yes.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rob View Post
yes ... you are absolutely right.... it is his money to do with what he wishes....

but the op came on here asking if that much money for what is basically a pet and companion animal is insane.... and in many instances it is....

i should clarify a bit, though.... I am NOT opposed to people buying a purebred whatever if that is what their heart is set on or if that is the breed that works for whatever they want it for.... but ONLY if said dog is purchased from a reputable breeder.... and let's face it.... most people do not have the patience or energy to do that.... too much work to research.... too much work to pass the breeder's hurdles, too much time to wait for the litter to be bred and raised to the proper age.... they want a puppy and they want it NOW.... so the byb and miller win again......

and finally, there were, i think, FOUR, younger, purebred labs on the transport i drove yesterday.... 2 black ones, a chocolate and a yellow.... all absolutely beautiful, most pretty well behaved, especially when one considers they were ALL KILL SHELTER RESCUES......

Old 07-15-2012, 12:33 PM

501 posts, read 1,296,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
You can, and are you getting the papers also?
nothing wrong with rescuing don't get me wrong,
but your dog will be limited with out them(papers) and it will be limited from being sterilized.
I've had purchased, purebred, papered hunting dogs, both neutered and intact, for over 30 years. As those dogs aged and passed on, I decided to find shelter/rescue/rehomed dogs, and have had 3 so far. One had no papers/elderly stray, one was an 7.5 year old who was registered, and the last one adopted a month ago now, whose litter was registered but no individual registration for this youngster who was at a shelter. But I do know the lineage of those last two (papers provided by the owners who surrendered them), and since this is a very small world out west here, I had more information about these two purebreds than is typical.

I am doing the same things with these rescued/rehomed neutered purebreds whose papers I do not possess that I did for 30 years with all my others. The last two rescue/adoptions have had a serious amount of training - the 9 year old has perfect recall, hunts (had his JH and a best in breed award), and is otherwise a kind happy companion. The 2 year old so far appears to have been well started (had a high point award for young dogs, knows a ton of commands, crate trained, cheerful, etc), has quite good house manners for a kid (ie, things left on an end table that smell good are at risk if you leave the room, but no chewing, is housebroken, etc), certainly has things we need to reinforce with respect to recall, etc, but is very similar behaving to my other purchased dogs of that age. Affectionate, too.

I am probably missing what was meant by "limited". Since I don't intend to show or breed these dogs, I don't see why these dogs would be "limited" by the absence of their papers or reproductive organs. And of course, for my purposes, my rescues/adoptions are not limited in any way. Back in the day, I had the papers/repro organs required when I competed and bred horses; but for other purposes? Those things were utterly unnecessary. Same thing goes for dogs.

As to finding a dog via the shelters, etc - I have gone hundreds of miles, to many shelters/rescues, and passed over a ton of dogs before adopting the ones I have. I know my strengths and weaknesses regarding specific issues and training, and feel that it is my responsibility to find a dog that would be the most likely to benefit from what I am good at doing. While it breaks my heart to "choose" a dog online, then go see it and reject bringing it home, there are things I just am not good at fixing - and being honest about that is critical for me. Of course, if/when things come up later, then I do learn to fix what I can or make the necessary adjustments as needed - my wonderful old EP was an example of that - and I'd rescue her all over again just to have a cool and kind dog like that back in our lives (whereas others might not want the hassle, like the first family that adopted her then returned her to the rescue. So glad that they did, as what was an insurmountable issue for them was something I was easily willing and able to make adjustments for in our routine here).

I don't see a thing wrong with purchasing a dog/puppy, nor do I see a thing wrong with adopting one from a shelter, rescue, etc. You can have problems either way - that is a fact. And you can end up with the perfect dog of your dreams either way - that is also a fact. I'm personally at a point where I don't see any need for me to buy a dog/puppy when I am eventually finding dogs who fit my every need that are just sitting in a shelter somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs