U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 07:59 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,501,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mid-Level Internetting View Post
Money isn't a huge issue, but it's certainly not a non-issue. Heh. The people offering cheap puppies whom I have visited don't seem like humane or decent people. Harsh and I'm sorry if someone local is reading this and knows who I am. It's my opinion. The conditions were consistently filthy and the dogs didn't seem loved. I don't want to contribute to that.

My opinion on shelter pups I touched on earlier. Thanks for your post.
I commend you for not wanting to contribute directly to a bad breeder, but understand that by buying a purebred from a good or bad breeder as a pet you are contributing to poor breeding and the industry that lands 100s of thousands of dogs in shelters each year. I'm willing to accept buying a purebred for breeding or showing or another specific purpose, even if I personally want no part of it. You don't have a specific reason though. You don't even want a specific breed. You merely have a misguided notion that purebreds are "better" and "prettier." There are plenty of adorable mutts and plenty of ugly purebreds. I worry about what will happen to your puppy if he does not live up to the ideals of the breed you select. Especially considering your opinion on shelters is deplorable.

It's true that puppies go faster at a shelter, but there are puppies to be found. If you can narrow it down to a few breeds then a do suggest you follow up on the suggestion for a breed specific rescue. They will probably have puppies from time to time. See what happens if people who have no business getting a puppy and enter into it lightly because of some false idea of what it will be like, buy a puppy and then turn it into the rescue because they ignored advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 08:11 AM

3,869 posts, read 13,047,045 times
No, 1k for a quality dog from proven blood lines, with a health guarantee is not out of line at all.

I have 2 GSD's that command a price for their pups that start at 2k and goes up to 4k+.
And before you say I'm crazy they are all spoken for before they are 4wks old.

Now why is this breeder asking so much.
Are the parents both trained/ titled dogs that are champions or decedents of a long line of champions and or proven blood lines?

Quote:
I can't find a larger purebred of any type in the state of Colorado- from a non-sketchy breeder- for less than that.

In fact most are closer to 1500. I'll pay it if that seems reasonable to you folks. I just wasn't expecting it so I had to ask.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:31 AM

36,472 posts, read 43,566,158 times
you are misinformed if you think puppies aren't killed at shelters. yes they are the first to go but clearly many puppies are unwanted and PTS..

I'm sure you could find a really big dog from a rescue if you look hard enough. don't contribute to the over population problem by becoming a backyard breeder.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:54 AM

Who are you calling a backyard breeder?
We have been breeding GSD's for over 30years. We have dogs in over 40 country's, on many police forces, used by the military, in schutzhund and as family pets.

The unwanted dogs, pups and cats, are the problem.
People breeding muts are part of the problem.

Not the dogs cats & pups from reputable breeders.
If you pay over 1k for a pup your not going to take it to a shelter.
If your a responsible owner or prospective buyer and you do your home work the chances of you being part of the problem is nonexistent.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:01 AM

36,472 posts, read 43,566,158 times
Quote:

I have no interest in showing, but maybe breeding down the line if its an option (but not a priority).
Don't get your panties in a wad snofarmer. I was referring to the OP not you when I said don't be a BYB.

And how do you think all those purebred dogs end up in rescue? somebody paid big bucks for them but when they don't work out they are taken to shelters where rescues take them in time to keep them from being killed. I have a purebred Bichon (my second Bichon rescue) and a purebred Maltese. Both expensive dogs which ended up as rescues.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:09 AM

Cool.
If you use a tid bit(quote) of the post your referring to in your post your post will not be taken as a reply to the post above it.

They didn't pay big bucks for them nor did they get them from a reputable breeder.
As a reputable breeder will take a animal back that has a problem.

Well they could have gotten the animal from a reputable breeder.
Some folks do not think much of their animals and will easily surrender them as they don't fit in with their life.
This has no bearing on the breeder, breed,or animal.
Some don't even surrender them , they just have then put down.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:38 AM

36,480 posts, read 41,660,628 times
People will absolutely take purebred dogs to shelters if they decide the dog is not for them/no longer fits their lifestyle, for whatever reason, and they cannot find any takers. It doesn't matter how much they paid for them. I unfortunately have witnessed it.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:41 AM

21,843 posts, read 23,069,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
People will absolutely take purebred dogs to shelters if they decide the dog is not for them/no longer fits their lifestyle, for whatever reason, and they cannot find any takers. It doesn't matter how much they paid for them. I unfortunately have witnessed it.
But not all purebred dogs are from reputable breeders. A reputable breeder will, among other things, take back a dog.

If the OP doesn't have a specific breed in mind, just wants the biggest dog he can find, for protection purposes only, I'm honestly thinking he really shouldn't be getting a dog at all purebred or otherwise. Get an alarm system.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:16 AM

568 posts, read 846,319 times
I've seen purebred American Doberman's range from $900-$3,000. I've read European Doberman's can get up to $5,000 easy. Depends on the breed and blood line.

$1,000 for a purebred pup is normal.

I brought my Doberman pup home last Saturday. They're loyal, alert and are rated 5th as being one of the most intelligent breeds out of 157. One of the best guard dogs out there.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:42 AM

4,585 posts, read 10,812,452 times
To the OP, no that price is not out of line for a well bred dog from a reputable breeder. If you knew the breeder costs of testing you might understand better.

If you are set on a specific breed I suggest you contact their breed club and find their rescue group, or you can contact some of the breeders you like and ask if they have an older puppy they might have been growing out (often the "pick of the litter") and for what ever reason they've decided not to keep it, or you can look for a young adult dog that the breeder might have. To find these gems, you need to get to know the breeders, join the local breed club, join their e-mail or FB group to get to know these people.

Last year I got a rare breed Swedish Vallhund who was extremely well bred, his papers look like who's who in the world of SV's. If I had bought him as a puppy I would have paid around $2000.+, I paid $200. for him.

I have a friend who did something similar with the Sheltie club and got a very very well bred dog for nearly nothing because the breeder knew her dog would be shown in companion events, something they often don't have time to do and it's good advertising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or