Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 04:56 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
can get a very wonderful purebred dog for a small fee at the pound.
You you like to run one of these dogs against Rip some weekend????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 06:24 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
most people are looking for pets.... not highly specialized dogs bred and trained to excel at the task at hand....

Old 07-10-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
most people are looking for pets.... not highly specialized dogs bred and trained to excel at the task at hand....
100% agreed.

That is why I find it odd to compare the two.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:50 PM

148 posts, read 425,464 times
I have had Saint Bernard's all of my adult life. I do buy purebred dogs from reputable breeders because the Saint Bernard's specific character and temperament are what attract me to this type of dog. I am not against muts, I can love a mutt too, I just love this breed and love having them around my family. There are two ways to purchase a purebred dog, as a puppy pet grade or as a show grade puppy with breeding rights. When you buy the pet quality dog, you pay the breeder his price for pet quality. If you buy the show quality and breeding rights you must pay the higher prices because the rights to breed an AKC dog cost much more. In St. Bernard's I can get a pet quality dog for under $1000, for a show/breeding dog the price is closer to $2000. You pay more, you get clean blood lines, with good genetics and health guarantees from the breeder. I have met very high quality breeders that insist by contract, that you give the dog back to them if you must get rid of it for some reason. They know their dogs are of excellent quality and will also guarantee health. Good Luck.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:23 PM

414 posts, read 1,009,953 times
Default It's A Matter of Opinion

This is something I have struggled with. Growing up, we always had mutts, and they were some of the best dogs ever. Our dog now, Bear, is a purebred Pomeranian. He is a fantastic dog. He is almost 8 and is wonderful with our 2 year old daughter. However, the fact that he is about 8 is what is leading us to getting a second dog. Unfortunately we adopted one from a shelter, a husky mix. I have had experience with husky mixes and fell in love with him. They were fine upon meeting, but then Bear was attacked for no reason. He nearly died, but with emergency surgery he has made a full recovery. That being said, we took the dog back (please don't grill me for this, it's nothing I had ever done before), said he needed to be in a home without dogs, and he was actually adopted the next day.
That was almost a year ago, and we are starting to look again. We've been browsing petfinder, as well as the local shelter, but nothing has really jumped out at us. Not to mention, the Akita has been in our minds for about 6 months now. We have researched many breeds, and the Akita really fits our lifestlye. One of the Akita's natural tendencies is to be the protector of the children in its family, and is notorious for defending its family. I have spoken to multiple Akita owners and breeders, done research, and it all says the same thing. The Akita would be fantastic for our family, as well as a good walking/jogging partner for me in the evenings/early mornings. Living in a city, I'm not too fond of doing those outdoor activities alone and in the dark. I realize I could get a rescue, but I like the predicability of the breed. All the owners I have spoken to say the Akita's temperment is very predictable, and is a trait they are supposed to possess.

So is it wrong I would rather pay a little more money for an Akita so I have better prediction for size and temperment? After my experience a year ago, I don't think so.

I love rescues, and will probably get another one someday, but I just don't feel as if now is the right time. I think it's just a matter of opinion and preference.

I agree with a poster earlier. It's not about purebred or mutt, nor how much you pay for an animal. What is important is the bond you create and maintain with that animal. If you love a dog, show it the affection it deserves and needs, that dog will do what it was born to do. I want a dog that was born to be a guardian of its family, and one that will love sleeping at the foot of our bed, or at the foot of our daughter's.

Just buy from a reputable breeder, or adopt from a shelter that gives you plenty of information about the dog. Do yourself, and the dog a favor.

Old 07-12-2012, 01:38 AM

184 posts, read 702,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mid-Level Internetting View Post
I'm new to this, admittedly.

I have no interest in showing, but maybe breeding down the line if its an option
so, basically, you know precisely nothing about dogs, you want to buy an expensive dog of whatever breed has the best aesthetic in your uneducated opinion, and there's a possibility in your future of becoming one of the ignorant backyard breeders you're trying to avoid buying a dog from...

interesting.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:01 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,457,737 times
I don't understand why people want to make you feel bad for buying pure bred dogs. ive had rescue dogs all my life since the time i was maybe 6 years and and we got 'ginger' ..all mutts but the beagle, all great dogs.

but i really wanted an irish wolfhound. i have for a very long time to the point i have visited breeders many times since my college days just to hang out with them. i can tell you in just the 6 months i've had him, when he starts getting long in the tooth, ill probably shell out another 2k or w/e it will be for another. i don't show him. i don't race him. don't breed him. he will have playmates from the shelter(getting one tonight actually), but some purebreds are just that awesome to some people.

i also don't understand the notion that if you might be a crappy pet owner, get a rescue... wrong. get a goldfish.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
I don't understand why people want to make you feel bad for buying pure bred dogs. ive had rescue dogs all my life since the time i was maybe 6 years and and we got 'ginger' ..all mutts but the beagle, all great dogs.

but i really wanted an irish wolfhound. i have for a very long time to the point i have visited breeders many times since my college days just to hang out with them. i can tell you in just the 6 months i've had him, when he starts getting long in the tooth, ill probably shell out another 2k or w/e it will be for another. i don't show him. i don't race him. don't breed him. he will have playmates from the shelter(getting one tonight actually), but some purebreds are just that awesome to some people.

i also don't understand the notion that if you might be a crappy pet owner, get a rescue... wrong. get a goldfish.
I do not feel bad about my pure breed dogs.

And some day I might get a shelter dog.

But, right now the pure breed met my needs.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:24 AM

1,015 posts, read 2,424,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post

I never understood this either, seemed like when I mentioned I was obtaining a pup I was met with some hostile responses.

Although I have danes now I would like to have an Irish Wolfhound one day. Amazing dogs, they are.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:49 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,171,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
can get a very wonderful purebred dog for a small fee at the pound.
You can, and are you getting the papers also?
nothing wrong with rescuing don't get me wrong,
but your dog will be limited with out them(papers) and it will be limited from being sterilized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
a "highly specialized dogs bred and trained to excel at the task at hand"

even a "highly specialized dogs bred" like a purebred make excellent pets.

Pups are not born trained nor is every purebred trained to excel at a task.
you train the dog it does not come that way, well unless you bought a trained, titled dog.

A pup from 2 Schutzhund III titled dogs will make a great pet or it too may be able to be a champ like it's parents.

Sometimes it comes down to instincts some don't like a dog with a lot of instincts, so it can be easily humanized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs