Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 09:46 AM

2,391 posts, read 5,048,560 times

Advertisements

My Vet wants me to feed my dog marshmallows for treats instead of what I have been feeding him, but he won't eat them. Has anyone ever fed their dog "marshmallows"~?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 10:44 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,365,699 times
I'd get another vet...a surgar filled treat is not a good one. I feed Yummy Chummys that you can get online from Jeffers and a friend just gave me several bags of Fruitables, both good HEALTHY choices.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
I'd get another vet...a surgar filled treat is not a good one. I feed Yummy Chummys that you can get online from Jeffers and a friend just gave me several bags of Fruitables, both good HEALTHY choices.
I go to the best Vet in Kentucky~! People come from all over to come to these Veterinarians~! I mean they travel from PA & NY to hours here locally to see them. They love their animals and have like 9 Vets in the office which most are from the family that own this Vet Clinic. They even have an emergency care after hours. I've been to others but never ever got the care that I get from theses guys and gals there~! They always call and check up on my little guy, and the other places didn't. The other place would never answer a question over the phone and want you to come in for a visit.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:02 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times
Your vet wants you to feed your dog marshmallows?!? That's so weird, and though I'm not a vet, I'm going to go ahead and say that doesn't seem right...I can't imagine the reasoning for that. Can you give more context? Maybe one person came from PA and NY but I don't believe most would drive to Kentucky when there are excellent vets in PA and NY...

I'm a huge fan of the Zuke's brand of treats, now available at the big box pet stores too. I don't think the quality has suffered from the more mass marketing. I currently have four different bags. Seemingly healthy and great for assistance with pills. The really small ones (mini naturals) are useful in many ways - training for nail clipping/dremel, nosework (especially the salmon), assistance with pills...

Zuke's – Healthy, Natural Treats for Dogs & Treats for Cats

My dog also really loves green beans, carrots, cucumbers and bell peppers.

I've never discussed healthy treats with my current vet, but my last one would be horrified about the marshmellows.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:09 AM

Since he's having bloody stool, it will be easier on his stomach. This is only temporary and after a month if he's tolerating all of everything else I need to do, I can slowly work back into whatever I was giving him.

Last edited by veggienut; 07-01-2012 at 11:29 AM..

Old 07-01-2012, 11:30 AM

3,605 posts, read 9,059,576 times
Are you sure it wasn't Marshmallow Root? That can be used holistically to treat stomach aliments, but it's not found in the little sugar bombs that are marshmallows. There are other treats that would be easy on his stomach and he might like them better, bananas, rice cakes and yogurt are a few that come to mind.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:34 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times
Marshmallow root! Heh. Veggienut that was probably it, right? Too funny.

Ok since it was for that reason I don't know about the commercial treats, though I bet the Zuke's chicken Z-filets might be bland enough. Maybe just pieces of boiled chicken breast?

Old 07-01-2012, 12:07 PM

611 posts, read 1,601,004 times
I have tried almost everything out there and my two dogs go absolutely nuts over these. One of my dogs has a very sensitive stomach and she's had no problem with these.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:09 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,424,107 times
I feed my boys chicken necks as a snack and training treat, they love em.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:10 PM

I questioned my Vet on numerous of items, and all he can have is the following
  1. W/D
  2. Antibiotics
  3. Priolsec
  4. Vanilla Yogurt
  5. Marshmallows
And I am having issues to adjust for the temporary time since he won't eat much of the W/D, difficult to get him to take his meds and eat the marshmallow. No issues with the yogurt, he loves it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs