U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2012, 01:05 AM

29,041 posts, read 44,943,388 times

Advertisements

It must be flea season, because there seem to be a lot of these threads right now!

I'm just wondering if anyone's heard of a product called "Liberty 50?" I was at the County Fair yesterday, and bought a box (3 tubes) for $23 at a dog specialty booth. I've had him on Advantage II for about a year now, and it works fine on keeping the fleas away... he's horribly allergic to fleas, so that's a great thing! But recently I found a few ticks on him, after coming back from a local park we frequent. I found out they're common at that park, so now I need something that repels TICKS too. This product covers fleas, ticks, mites, mosquitoes, and is made in Nevada w/ EPA registration.

Here's the box, where you can see the ingredients... any input is welcomed, as I don't want to use it until I've done some research! I'll also ask my vet, since we have to wait a few weeks anyway (he just got an Advantage treatment).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 03:14 AM

5,981 posts, read 16,295,855 times
I haven't seen or used it, but on first glance and comparing it with Advantix, the two active ingredients are the same. Advantix also has imidacloprid, which paralyzes some insects and is made by Bayer (primarily for fleas).

Permethrin levels in Advantix are 44%; in Liberty it's 50%. (this is the one that's so dangerous for cats, and it isn't waterproof). I think this one is also the ingredient that so many animals have built up a resistance to - so I'd guess that's why there's the increase. Not necessarily a better product, just more of it. Supposedly it is the best for ticks, though.

Pyriproxyfen in Advantix is 0.44%; in Liberty it is 1.20% (this is the one that keeps the larvae from maturing, I think).

All in all, a substantial increase in 2 active chemicals and a complete lack of 1. Hmmmm. Yep, vet time!

Old 07-03-2012, 06:38 AM

4,655 posts, read 15,750,072 times
For what its worth, I've heard it compared to Hartz Having said that, I will tell you what I tell our clients, talk to your vet, when it comes to treating your dog, something "cheap" could wind up being expensive in the long run.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:14 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,306,453 times
Permethrin isn't something I'd want to put on a family member.

And it's not good for the environment.

And No, I haven't heard of the brand. They're claiming the word "liberty" as registered trademark. I would be very surprised if it actually was registered.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:41 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,806,437 times
Some more to read:

EPA
http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/chem_s...8-20081230.pdf
http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/chem_s...8-20080904.pdf
http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/chem_s...8-20090128.pdf

MSDS
http://www.kellysolutions.com/erenew...6_38_39_PM.pdf

Old 07-03-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
Permethrin isn't something I'd want to put on a family member.

And it's not good for the environment.
Interesting, because I'm pretty sure that's what my vet tech friend recommended! And as Sam said above, it's the same chemical used in Advantix.

But thanks to everyone who replied, and it looks like I'll have to run it by my vet first... I figured for that price, it was worth it to "buy now and ask later" (later being BEFORE using it on my dog, of course). FYI, that was just the County Fair price - it's normally priced higher, if that matters any. But if it turns out to be a no-go, at least I've only wasted $23 instead of the usual $50+.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:22 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,306,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Interesting, because I'm pretty sure that's what my vet tech friend recommended! And as Sam said above, it's the same chemical used in Advantix.

And it's the same chemical the exterminator sprays to kill roaches.
And it's used in many of the insecticide products sold at the hardware store.

The warnings on the package speak for themselves.

Why not just use Frontline Plus?

Old 07-04-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
Why not just use Frontline Plus?
Does it kill ticks? Look, money is tight for me right now, and the woman who ran that booth seemed to know her stuff... so I thought it was worth a shot, and asked here for opinions before trying it. I will still ask my vet, and if he says no, I'll finish off our Advantage II and just check him manually for ticks if we go to that park again. I'm starting a new (better paying) job next week, but in the meantime I just can't afford a whole box of Frontline.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:33 PM

2,806 posts, read 6,506,993 times
Have you checked out this thread yet?

A simple solution for fleas.

You might want to try EOs...much less expensive, and they have been very effective for me...plus there are other benefits for the dog due to their therapeutic properties, lavender and peppermint EOs are fairly inexpensive and will make up quite a bit of repelling "spritz" if you want to try it !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or