U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 01:22 AM

8,819 posts, read 6,336,574 times

Advertisements

JayCt, this is just my opinion but I'd say his time has come. He obviously has a low quality of life and can't run and do dog things anymore. It's a hard decision but as a petowner we are the ones who have to make that choice. It really is the best thing to let him go. Don't be afraid to cry and grieve for him. I'm sure you gave him the best life possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 02:26 AM

2,178 posts, read 8,034,611 times
Reading these kinds if posts always make my eyes water. Makes me think of the furry friends I have lost over the years and one who I expect won't be around much longer. Must be this cold I have thats causing my eyes to get red and watery.
In the all the years I have had furry best friends I have never gotten any better at letting them go. But I have come to the conclusion that when they can no longer appreciate or sustain the quality of life that they have enjoyed for years it is best to let them go to their final rest.
I have a tendency to try to hold on to them for as long as possible. A Vet told me one time when an animal can't get out of it's own waste it is time to put them down. I was told this is a sign of them being so sick that they have given up.
It broke my heart as much to see them so sick as it did to see them put to sleep. But at least then there was closure and the pet wasn't suffering anymore and I still have the memories of the good, healthy years.
As far as kids, if they are old enough to understand about such things, I feel they should be included but I wouldn't try to talk them into anything they didn't feel comfortable with. It would be their decision. The dog loved them too. They might want to be there for the dog also. It would be entirely up to them. I would make it plain that they should never feel guilty if they chose to avoid something they didn't want to witness. Either way, it's never easy.
I have lost quite a few over the decades and it never gets any easier. But I will always have a dog and live with the memories of my loving and loved pets. Each one special in it's own way.
Guess this old cold is making my eyes water again.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:27 AM

25,997 posts, read 41,965,447 times
I am so sorry to hear of everyone's pain of losing a pet. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and prayers. I will let you know how it goes. Jay

Old 02-11-2008, 08:41 AM

969 posts, read 2,511,618 times
Your dog doesn't know a week from a day - all your dog knows is the moment.

PLEASE don't prolong the suffering for your human sense of time.

Your dog deserves to be at peace.

I am so sorry for your loss.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:45 AM
HDL

3,140 posts, read 5,996,786 times
Default A side note....

Just a year ago, I was posting on CDF about my senior dog, looking for advice and thinking that her time was very short. I got several posters telling me what to do when they had not even taken the time to understand my situation !

If I had listened to them, my dog would be 'dead' by now , instead of just getting her onto Rimadyl this past year to allow her to continue walking with less difficulty . Now here it is a year later, and she still looks good, even though last year at this time seemed iffy . My Vet saw her a month ago and he said that she looks GREAT, even though I know that one day soon even the Rimadyl will not be enough for her .

My point is: Some posters on CDF can be a bit 'dramatic' (IMHO ) and their posts are not all that helpful (again JMHO )! Please continue to do what is BEST for you and your family and your sweet dog and don't worry about what some folks say on CDF or in your RL .

Warm thoughts and continued prayers Jay!

~HDL~

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I am so sorry to hear of everyone's pain of losing a pet. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and prayers. I will let you know how it goes. Jay

Old 02-11-2008, 05:41 PM

253 posts, read 964,211 times
I think it sounds premature to put her down, because she still comes when her favorite foods are around.
I had to put my doxie mix down at 17 1/2, she got cancer in the gums. I only had a couple of days, because we took her to the vet with a large lump that blew up overnite on a friday. I wouldn't do it then, but he told me she would know, and to watch for when she wouldn't eat or drink. By Sat. afternoon she wouldn't eat or drink and went out in the yard and walked in circles panting and not seeing where to come back to the house.

I went out and carried her in and she still wouldn't eat or drink for the entire weekend. Monday we took her and had her put down.

I currently have 2 dogs, a 14 yr. old that has slowed down and a 13 yr. old getting slow too. We had to buy a dog ramp for the 13 yr. old to go down the front porch steps, and he does great with that help.
Their eyesight starts to go, but you can help them by waving or clapping when you call them.
They're getting older, and its sad not to see the puppies that used to play inside and outside. Let her take her time and help with her disabilities she's starting to show.
She'll let you know when its time to go.
I don't envy any of the pet lovers having to decide out of love what to do when they know the time has come.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:59 AM

25,997 posts, read 41,965,447 times
I wanted to let everyone know that our dog passed away last week. I came home a lunch to find him unreponsive so I took him to the vet and she said it was time. It was very sad but kind of a relief since we knew this was coming. The vet said he probaly had a tumor since he had gained weight yet had stopped eating as much as he use to. He got to the point where he would not be able to walk without tripping and falling. He would go out to pee but then want to come inside immediately. It was so sad to see this. Our kids of course were upset the first day but seem to be bouncing back. The other thing is we were so surprised at how many friends and neighbors were upset by his passing. We received sympathy cards and were told that they cried when thye heard. Thanks everyone again for the support. We are looking now for a new pup. I just hope it will be as good as this one. Jay

Old 04-10-2008, 12:43 PM
HDL

3,140 posts, read 5,996,786 times
Unhappy Sorry to hear about your loss Jay

But it sounds like my situation 'somewhat' . Once you actually make the decison and your sweet dog is gone, you know that it really was their time and you have a certain 'peace' about it all.

Nice to hear that your children are doing alright also . Oh, and how wonderful your neighbors sound ! Best wishes as you and your family search for a new family member !

Warm regards,

~HDL~

Old 04-10-2008, 04:29 PM

409 posts, read 2,537,930 times
10 days ago I put my beloved shih ztu to sleep. She had cancer, only diagnosed one month ago. Until then she was a crazy 11 year old with no health problems. I lived with her being sick, not herself, no tail wagging, no way of knowing how she really felt. We put her on prednisone and it made her super dog for 3 wks, ate, ran, played. Something developed in her lungs and she coughed all night. I was probably in worse shape than her the day she was put to sleep. I still cry and feel so guilty, but she's in a better place with no pain. Remember that, you will make them pain freeand your stress over it will go away. I know deep down I did the right thing, she had cancer and was not herself anymore. They say animals don't show pain like us humans, so figure she may have it and will say thanks for putting an end to it. Get another one right away to replace the hole that it leaves.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:46 AM

1 posts, read 3,390 times
Default Max

We put our dog down Saturday and buried him in the back yard. Max was a very beautiful dog, but he got where he slept all the time and messed in the house. He would go outside to do his business and he could hardly hold himself up to do his business. He lost a lot of hair and he became very jumpy. Other times he play like a puppy.

I miss him so much and my heart hurts. I go out and sit by his resting place and talk to him. Max was my constant companion and best friend. He was 18 years old, sweet and loving and above all his love was unconditional at all times with everyone in the family.

When they put him down it took three shots. He fought to the end to stay with us. The vet said it was the right thing, then why does my heart say it was the wrong thing and the time was wrong?

My question will I see him again in heaven? And how do I know he is okay?

Can't function.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or