U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-19-2009, 09:49 AM
 
Location: Mississippi
315 posts, read 978,356 times
Reputation: 421

Advertisements

Maya isn't waiting for you to show her how much you love her. Your dog is fighting really hard to stay around so you know how much she loves you. After its all said and done, that's all they really want. You already knew the answer to your post when you typed it.

Nothing caps a great story better than a wonderful ending.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-19-2009, 09:59 AM
 
Location: Maryland Eastern Shore
969 posts, read 2,516,341 times
Reputation: 932
This sounds simplistic - but I promised my now "older" dog that I wouldn't ever forget it. Dogs have NO sense of time - a week from now is the same as tomorrow to them - your dog doesn't know that they will have another week or month or day.

Make a list of the three things that are/were your dog's "favorite" things- when they can no longer do two of them with comfort or joy - it is time.

I am sorry for your impending loss
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2009, 01:53 PM
 
Location: Rural New Mexico
557 posts, read 2,318,258 times
Reputation: 339
I agree with oldenfatt. You knew in your heart, dear, when you posted here, that it's time to let your sweet dog go. No, it's never easy no matter how many times you've gone through it. We're here for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2009, 06:36 PM
 
Location: Floyd Co, VA
3,414 posts, read 5,114,602 times
Reputation: 7221
I am also grappling with this issue now. It's not time yet but I don't think I can count our remaining time together in months. Nikki will be 15 sometime in July or August, he was 4 to 5 months old when I got him. He has a heavy coat so warm weather is not helpful. I'm running the A/C, which I normally don't for me. He's on maximum dosage of Deramaxx, Tramadol 3 times a day, Adequan injections twice a week and the the vet is coming tomorrow to do some acupuncture. Over the past few days he has changed from setting his rear end down first to lowering his front down first, I think it helps by taking some of the weight off his hips and spine, but it looks so much like his youthful play bow that it takes me back in time to the days when I had just 3 dogs and he was the baby. Now he is the old man of the 5 I have.

This will be the fourth dog in 3 years but still the decision is very difficult with each one. It's the down side of adopting seniors, even though I know that I gave them a good few months or years by taking in these rejected sweethearts.

Often there will be a dramatic downhill in their condition over a day or two and that is when I know that I must let them go.

But the joy they each bring to my life will be with me until my own death. I would not give up that joy to avoid the final pain I experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2009, 02:49 AM
 
1,121 posts, read 3,190,311 times
Reputation: 1129
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
I am also grappling with this issue now. It's not time yet but I don't think I can count our remaining time together in months. Nikki will be 15 sometime in July or August, he was 4 to 5 months old when I got him. He has a heavy coat so warm weather is not helpful. I'm running the A/C, which I normally don't for me. He's on maximum dosage of Deramaxx, Tramadol 3 times a day, Adequan injections twice a week and the the vet is coming tomorrow to do some acupuncture. Over the past few days he has changed from setting his rear end down first to lowering his front down first, I think it helps by taking some of the weight off his hips and spine, but it looks so much like his youthful play bow that it takes me back in time to the days when I had just 3 dogs and he was the baby. Now he is the old man of the 5 I have.

This will be the fourth dog in 3 years but still the decision is very difficult with each one. It's the down side of adopting seniors, even though I know that I gave them a good few months or years by taking in these rejected sweethearts.

Often there will be a dramatic downhill in their condition over a day or two and that is when I know that I must let them go.

But the joy they each bring to my life will be with me until my own death. I would not give up that joy to avoid the final pain I experience.
Thank you for your post. As I am also older, I can no longer make a committment to a puppy. but I miss having a dog in my home. I will be moving later this year so I will wait, but I have been thinking about taking in senior dogs to enjoy as long as I can. You have given me hope. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2009, 04:18 AM
 
Location: Ohio
2,178 posts, read 8,058,641 times
Reputation: 3910
I don't know what kind of tests have been done but your dog may have a brain tumor. I had a dog years ago that acted the same way and that was the reason.
Losing one is never pleasant. I just had a vet put down my Ginger a few weeks ago. He suggested having it done last winter. I wanted to keep her as long as I could. As much as I cared about a dog that was born and lived in my house for over 14 years, now I wish I had taken the vets advice. I just prolonged the inevitable for my own selfishness. It didn't do Ginger any good to try to hold onto her for another few months.
I didn't want to lose her but it would have been better for her if I had let her go sooner. I guess real love means doing what is best. I mistook real love for a pet as not letting her go when I knew her quality of life had dwindled down to just day to day existence. I think she lasted as long as she did because she knew how important she was to me. But it came the time that I just couldn't see her miserable anymore. I miss her.
The last thing she did when the vet inserted the injection and I was holding her was look me in the eye and wag her tail.
I paid extra to get her ashes in a container. I buried her ashes by a Rose bush.
She will always be in the yard of the only home she ever knew.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2009, 04:27 AM
 
Location: Floyd Co, VA
3,414 posts, read 5,114,602 times
Reputation: 7221
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukiko11 View Post
Thank you for your post. As I am also older, I can no longer make a committment to a puppy. but I miss having a dog in my home. I will be moving later this year so I will wait, but I have been thinking about taking in senior dogs to enjoy as long as I can. You have given me hope. Thank you.
You might also consider fostering for a local rescue group. There is always a tremendous need. This also allows you a break from caretaking, when one gets adopted you can wait awhile before taking on another. This can also be a great way to find your next dog to adopt - one will capture your heart and stay in her new forever home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2009, 06:43 AM
 
Location: Deep in the Heart of Texas
1,479 posts, read 7,020,781 times
Reputation: 1908
I started fostering and adopting senior dogs long before I was a senior. It has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. Zugor said it best:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
But the joy they each bring to my life will be with me until my own death. I would not give up that joy to avoid the final pain I experience.
Since the bond with each dog is different, the decision point and the process in the end is different, but the last gift that you give a canine companion is a good and humane death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2009, 06:15 AM
 
1,121 posts, read 3,190,311 times
Reputation: 1129
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
You might also consider fostering for a local rescue group. There is always a tremendous need. This also allows you a break from caretaking, when one gets adopted you can wait awhile before taking on another. This can also be a great way to find your next dog to adopt - one will capture your heart and stay in her new forever home.
Thanks, that is good advice. I currently volunteer at the local no kill shelter. I am not able to foster because, although I live on a half acre, my backyard is not fenced in so they will not allow foster dogs on my property.
The people who started this shelter worked at the same company I did. They actually won the lotto and used all the money to build this fantastic shelter. After 15 years, it is now supported by local donors who support the individual suites for the dogs and the great cat compound. There are lots of volunteers, especially among young people when they are out of school. They also have a special program for retarded and special needs young people to work with the animals. I only volunteer when they need me in the winter time.
I am sure many of us have fantasized about what we would do with lotto winnings. How many people who were working for about $15.00/hr would do what they did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2009, 09:46 AM
 
25 posts, read 107,473 times
Reputation: 29
Well, here I am again. I just came back to this board to post something and was met with many more posts from all of you. I barely got through them. I am red eyed and stuffy nosed and I am grateful to all of you. On Monday, I bathed my three dogs, including Maya. It was terrible. She is so thin and I felt like I was torturing her. She has been as I described, until last night. She paced for a few hours, would sit and then right back up. She peed and pooped several times inside and now she has blood in her urine. She was eventually able to lay down and sleep. I'm off to the vet in a few minutes. I feel horrible. I feel uncomfortable. Thank you all, your posts to me have helped so much. I'm going to put all of you and your words in my pocket and take that with me this morning. I'm so grateful.
Sincerely, Coleen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:26 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top