Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 03:07 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,135,660 times

Advertisements

I am in absolute tears right now after reading this entire thread. First of all Geegirl, my breaks for you. We have a cocker spaniel who has been a loyal family members for the past 12 years. He was a rescue dog and we love him so much. He takes heart medication twice a day and sleeps so deeply it is hard to wake him sometimes to go outside to go to the bathroom. He has been deaf for about a year now and the past few days I have been concerned about the little amounts of food he is eating, but he is still eating. He was my boyfriends first dog (he wasnt allowed to have one as a child so he got one as soon as he moved out) and he had him for 2 years before we met and he loves Bear so much. He gets teary eyed just discussing Bears failing health. We think he is 14 or 15 years old. I know his time is soon and it will be a hard decision to make but after reading all the comments, I know we are not the first to go through this and we have to be strong for Bear, not for ourselves. Thank you to all of you for sharing your stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 04:25 PM

315 posts, read 1,091,695 times
my heart and prayers go out to you. maya is now at rainbow bridge where all animals go to await their humans. i wrote this for a good friend a few years ago:

The Last Gift 
Memories like rivers run through my mind
A scrapbook of love, brief glimpses in time
Each picture is etched deep in my heart
Held closely and treasured for when we’re apart.

My heart filled with sorrow, eyes filled with tears
For the last time I’ll kiss and caress silky ears
Looking deep in your eyes I’ll know that it’s time
And my heart will be breaking, dear friend of mine.

In your face I see loyalty, wisdom and love
And no trace of fear of what waits above
Trust in our hearts, that this isn’t the end
On to a new journey my sweet, faithful friend.

My last gift to you, who has given so much
Is a hug, a kiss, one last soft, gentle touch
Now you are free, to run without pain
And to wait for the day when we meet again.

stacy b

Old 07-01-2009, 04:48 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Damn, this feisty old stoic broad has tears running down her cheeks after this thread. So many memories of so many very hard decisions made and I remember each and every one. I only hope that when my time comes, what goes around will come around and some kind friends will ensure that I'm allowed to go with dignity ...

Old 07-01-2009, 06:13 PM

1,050 posts, read 3,526,260 times
We are now in the same position. Goldie, our 14 year old golden retriever is about at her end. She has an extremely difficult time getting up. We have to get behind her and position our feet and give a boost. She is not having accidents. Her problem now seems to be a bit of dementia. She goes and stands at her water dish and lets out a small yelp. She is eating and sleeping fine, but has a discharge of mucus from her nose, and seems to sneeze alot. I see it becoming harder for her each day. This may sound strange to some, but I had a "talk" with her and told her to let me know when the time was right. We went thru this before with an 11 year old golden. We took her to the vet and left her. I think this time we will stay and be with her til the end.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:13 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,133,297 times
Reading this breaks my heart. I haven't faced this yet. I have lost little ones to old age or sudden illness, but never have I had to face making this crushing decision. I have learned from your words, and hope if I face it, that I will do what is right for my little buddy. Those lovely poems you posted have left me in tears, as it's a little too soon after I lost my dear soulmate for me to read things like that, lovely as they are. To those of you who had to make this choice, I send you my deepest sympathy.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:52 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,665,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geegirl View Post
I feel sad for our loss today, but mostly what I feel is a tremendous sense of peace. Maya went peacefully this morning at our vets office. We were able to say our goodbyes and stay with her. She looked so peaceful. I'm so grateful to all of you. You really helped me. It never occurred to me that I was being selfish and putting the inevitable off for my own needs. I think I was afraid I would regret my decision. Our vet asked me if I was okay and I told her that the hard part for me was actually making the decision. Now I know we made the right one. Thank you all.
God bless you. You have found exactly the right words that many pet owners need to hear either now or in the future. Our pet's life is not about us but about them. When they can no longer function on their own, it is time to see them peacefully and painlessly into the future. We can deal with our pain later in our own way. Part of being a pet parent is to not let them suffer because we are afraid of our loss. Think only of them and you will make the right decision.
I am so sorry for your loss, but if it is right God will provide a new baby for you to love in the near future.
Thank you for having the grace to share this painful story with us. You have done a lot of good.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:44 AM

25 posts, read 121,240 times
Smile Bittersweet

This thread began with me asking about my dog Maya, and ended with me saying good-bye to her. It had been four weeks, not long. The void is there, and I feel it everyday.

Now....I have an update. After much thought,consideration, looking online, visiting a few rescue dog events at pet stores and visiting two animal shelters, we have adopted a pooch!

This little girl is under a year old. She's white and brindle. They said she's a chihuahua mix, but to us she doesn't look chihuahua at all. Somehow she spoke to us when we saw her. She looks acts so much like our rat terrier. We were amazed at the similarities as we watched her! There are very specific traits that our rat has, that she also has. We get to bring her home tomorrow ( she had to be spayed). I'm excited and a little nervous. I will have to introduce her to our other two dogs and make a place for her to rest. I do have a crate that I thought I could set up. Any pointers? Both of my other dogs are socialized. But I thought maybe the intro should be done outside of the house.

Thanks in advance..

Old 07-27-2009, 09:15 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,376,409 times
Geegirl I'm glad to hear that you're adopting another pooch. I think you honor Maya's spirit when you decide that the joy of having had her companionship is much greater than the pain at the end of your time together and you are willing to do that again.

Have you figured out a name for her yet?

One thing I would suggest is that you find out what they are currently feeding and if it doesn't happen to be what you plan to feed than buy a small bag of it and transition from what she's been eating to the new stuff over a week to 10 days.

Intro's on neutral ground or even outside of the house never hurt.

Wishing you and the new pup many wonderful years together.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:37 AM

18,722 posts, read 33,385,615 times
Glad you've found another new best friend.
Intro one dog at a time outside, which is supposed to help (or on other neutral ground).
Don't leave them all alone together for a period of time until you feel confident of them getting along.
I've always had multiple dogs, adoptees, and have found that ususally any trouble comes after several weeks, when the existing dog (top dog, usually) figures out that the newcomer is staying. Any change in the group needs to be monitored, but the joy of multiple dogs is worth the attention!
Best wishes.

Old 07-28-2009, 03:14 PM

25 posts, read 121,240 times
Thanks for the tips! I am picking her up in 3 hours! I'm going to introduce her to my dogs ( one at a time) outside. I wanted to do it at the park, but she is newly spayed and I know she needs to rest. I'm not sure when they were spaying her. We adopted her saturday afternoon. So, they either did it sun/mon or today. If they did it today, I may not be able to introduce her at all right now. I don't know. I have a crate set up in my bedroom for her, so that my little dog ( rat terrier) doesn't bug her. He sleeps in my room at night. I may or may not have to change the arrangement. My big dog ( blind chocolate lab) sleeps in my sons room and has living room access. I have a gate up so the choc lab stays in certain areas during the day. Both of my dogs are good with other dogs. So, I think we should be okay.
As for the food, they sent a bag of Hill's food with me. I feed my little dog wellness brand and my big dog gets natural balance L.I.D. ( because of allergies). I will go ahead and mix the new food with wellness food. Thanks for that suggestion.

I'm so excited!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs