U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2012, 05:04 PM

819 posts, read 2,725,999 times

Advertisements

My 5 month old puppy has never been food aggressive, now all of a sudden, she has started growling whenever anybody is near her food dish. I'm really sad about this, I can't think of why she is so sweet, then turn into this monster when it's time for her to eat. I've had her since she was 12 weeks old, I don't have any small children so I am just perplexed. Does this mean she is going to grow into an evil dog?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 05:37 PM

7,330 posts, read 12,544,110 times
No, it doesn't mean she'll be "evil" but you do need to nip this in the bud. Make her sit before you give her her food. Start by giving it to her a few pieces at a time. She's testing the waters, but she needs to know she's not the boss, and that she must behave to get the things she wants. NILIF (nothing in life is free) is a good training method, if you google it. If she hasn't been to obedience classes, begin now.

Old 07-04-2012, 05:51 PM

819 posts, read 2,725,999 times
I do make her sit before I give her anything, food, water, treats. But today my son, who is 17, went to feed her. Instead of picking up the bowl, he just put the food in the bowl and didn't tell her to sit. So then when he went to give her the 2nd scoop she started growling. I then went in there to just pick up the bowl and she growled at me

Old 07-04-2012, 06:01 PM

If this is the only time it's happened, there may be some other reason, like she's not feeling well. Keep an eye out for that, and try hand feeding her her next meal, just to remind her that you're the provider. If she growls, I'd stop the feeding and leave the room for awhile, and then come back and try it again. If she doesn't growl, praise her as you're giving her the food. Let us know how it's going!

Old 07-04-2012, 06:37 PM

19,827 posts, read 10,542,345 times
I agree to not put up with it. My 1 year old dog was growling when I wiped her paws off when she came in from outside and it was raining. I straightened her right out with a stern voice. I haven't had a problem since.

Don't put up with it. As suggested, feed her by hand.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:01 AM

3,869 posts, read 12,498,951 times
You might be abel to nip it in the bud or you may not.

Be careful you could make it much worse by trying to curb the habit.

Anything to do with food could maker the dog more protective of it's food.

A little incite,
I'm a breeder,

When you have a big litter the whelps push and shove each other to get a teet.
Then comes the time to ween.

The breeder does not split up the litter nor feed the whelps separately.
The hungry pups swarm the food bowl and gobble up all they can.

This is where they learned to get what they can and not share it with the rest of the litter. food aggression. the strong get fed the weak go hungry.
(not really as most breeders will make sure to give more then enough feed.)

This is were your pup probably learned this.

Can you take the food blow away from your pup when it's eating with out it showing aggression?.

If not take it away from the pup every time you feed and then give it back after they sit and or lay down on your command.

trust , trust that the pup will gets it food and that it will have plenty.
and it builds the trust between you and your pup.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:05 AM

491 posts, read 1,972,357 times
Food aggression is common and it can lead to other unwanted aggressive behaviors if not stopped. Don't put up with any growling. Give an immediate stern, loud NO! upon any growl. Pick up the food bowl amd take it away. Make the dog sit and stay a couple feet away from the food area. Then pit the bowl down, telling the dog to stay. Make it wait a minute, then give the okay to start eating. In the middle of eating, stand between the pup and the bowl, and tell the pup to sit and stay. Take the bowl away. After a few minutes, bring it back and repeat the sit, stay and release to eat.

Anyone else feeding the dog should be trained to do the same, until the aggressive behavior is stopped. Any other sign of aggression or possessiveness should be treated with the same regimen. Don't play tug of war or any other aggressive games with the pup while it's in training. Make sure the dog has a strict routine of walking at the same times during the day. Do a ten-minute general training session every day. Whether it is copying obedience training techniques from puppy class, or practicing training with a clicker - some kind of obedience training each day. Only ten minutes at a time so the pup doesn't get tired or confused.

Food and resource guarding is a natural dog behavior but it can't be tolerated, especially since you and the other humans in the household are the leaders of the pack - the leader controls the food and resources, so a dog that controls those resources is effectively controlling you.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:57 AM

You want to address the fact that your dog thinks the food is his rather than something of yours that you've given him. It's a subtle difference, but you do not want to correct the growling itself, just the reason behind it. It's almost instinctive to tell a dog "No growling", and see it as a bad thing, but remember, he has limited ways to communicate and without a warning such as a growl or defensive body posture, there is no way left to communicate except for a bite. This is a very enlightening article written by a very smart lady.

Peaceable Paws

Old 08-03-2014, 06:36 AM

1 posts, read 13,568 times
My 4 month old Puppy eats like she hasn't had any food for a month. When I try to take her away from the food she growls and has even snapped at me. I immediately took her bowl away and turned her on her back and growled at her and gave her a sharp NO. She hasn't done it since.

Old 08-03-2014, 07:36 AM

1,699 posts, read 3,371,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by castingalpha View Post
My 4 month old Puppy eats like she hasn't had any food for a month. When I try to take her away from the food she growls and has even snapped at me. I immediately took her bowl away and turned her on her back and growled at her and gave her a sharp NO. She hasn't done it since.
If someone wants to create food aggression in a dog, this is exactly the plan to follow. ^

To prevent or reverse food aggression:

Goal in preventing & curing Food Aggression directed at PEOPLE: Dog should see human as the SOURCE of all food, not as a THREAT to food source.

Techniques:

1) Determine total amount to be fed per meal. Let’s use 1.5 cups for example. Feed meal in 3 parts. Feed cup and allow dog to finish, never disturbing dog in any way. Approach empty dish and add another cup. Allow dog to finish undisturbed. Approach again and add final cup of food. This method is one way to show a dog that every time you approach his dish it is to ADD more food, never to take any away.

2) Fill dog’s dish with food and allow dog to begin eating. Approach and add a couple delicious, stinky, high value treats to dish while dog is still eating, then step away and let dog eat undisturbed. Approach once more before dog finishes meal and add a couple more yummy treats, allowing dog to finish undisturbed.

3) Feed dog from your hand. This can be done by literally using your hands as the food dish, or you can hold the dish in your hands and have dog eat from the bowl. This method is highly recommended for pups, dogs who have not shown marked food aggression, and dogs who have already experienced a few weeks of #1 and #2 above and have responded well.

NEVER, EVER take a dog’s dish away from him while he is eating unless it is an emergency (like you accidentally dropped a shard of glass in the bowl!) The only reason to ever remove a dog’s food while he is eating is if there is something dangerous in the food dish.

It is not wise to pet or touch dogs while they are eating. It is highly annoying and causes dogs to form a negative association with people around their food. You would not appreciate someone patting you on the head or back while you are trying to eat or someone continually taking your food away while you are in the middle of eating it!

Here is the beauty of the techniques described: they convince the dog completely that having you approach his food dish is the greatest thing ever. Therefore, if there is ever a time in the future when someone does have to grab a dish away or bumps into the dog while he’s eating, the dog has a long history of positive associations to fall back on and will react positively or in a neutral way any time a person gets near his meal. If nothing bad, annoying, or threatening has ever happened when a person got near his food dish, and in fact plenty of good things have happened, the dog has no reason to object or react negatively to a person near his dish!

Keep the goal in mind always: Dog should see human as the SOURCE of all food, not as a THREAT to food source. That means always add, never take away, and never annoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs