Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 02:58 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,865,217 times

Advertisements

Frontline is best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 04:20 PM

24,834 posts, read 37,234,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrsygrl51 View Post
Frontline is best.
Why????

Old 07-08-2012, 05:46 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,794,327 times
Jrsygrl51
thats actually a very braod and completly UNTRUE statment.
flease develop resistances to products, and in my expeience frontline and frontline plus are USELESS...they did nothing to prevent fleas when i lived in CT and even LESS here in W.TN...

YET i have frineds who are still having good reuslts with frontline plus...
its 100% relitive to your own local flea population!

for me k9 Advantix is "the best" with advantage being second best (but what im currently using because my cats groom my dogs and advantix is not safe for the cats.)
howver both those could be less effective in someone elses location.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
Jrsygrl51
thats actually a very braod and completly UNTRUE statment.
flease develop resistances to products, and in my expeience frontline and frontline plus are USELESS...they did nothing to prevent fleas when i lived in CT and even LESS here in W.TN...

YET i have frineds who are still having good reuslts with frontline plus...
its 100% relitive to your own local flea population!

for me k9 Advantix is "the best" with advantage being second best (but what im currently using because my cats groom my dogs and advantix is not safe for the cats.)
howver both those could be less effective in someone elses location.
Forgive me. You are correct. I should have taken all of that in to account. I am still a relatively new pet parent,.in the fact I dont know all. If in doubt, check with your VET, OR PETSMART, PETCO.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:07 AM

19,360 posts, read 9,429,048 times
We've been using K9 Advantix for several years now w/ good results on our dogs. I like that it's a repellent for mosquitos too. Sprinkle a little supplement [containing garlic] on their meals too.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:37 AM

Yes, I have heard a little garlic powder mixed in their food keeps fleas away.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:13 PM

217 posts, read 214,460 times
Garlic You will feed every flea?
In my country in countrysides usually use wormwood or absinth(e).

Old 07-09-2012, 12:54 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,494,928 times
The best products are Frontline, Advantage and Revolution in my experience. All others - shampoos, collars, powders, etc. - are next to useless and so is Dawn. The problem with these is that they just kill the fleas it comes in contact with. They don't kill the eggs and larva and all the fleas in the environment so they just keep coming back and you will never get rid of them. The good thing about the above products are that they kill fleas for 30 days including eggs and larva so that once new fleas that are in the environment jump on your dog they are killed and eventually they all die out. If the flea infestation is severe, which I assume it is since you've been unsuccessful in treating it for a while, it is imperative that you treat your dog for 3 months in a row. If you do this you should not have to flea bomb your house or treat the environment in any other way other than thorough vacuuming and washing of things that can be washed like the dog's bed, etc. All the above products come in 3 or 4 packs so you'll have enough to treat for 3 months.

Revolution requires a prescription but Frontline and Advantage don't. You can also buy generic Frontline now which is much cheaper and equally effective. They sell these at Walmart, pet stores and even some grocery stores. Look for the igredient Fipronil. Some also contain an additional ingredient called S-methoprene. This is generic for Frontline Plus while the ones containing only Fipronil are generic for Frontline Top Spot. If you can find one containing both ingredients that's best. It's more expensive that the stuff you've used so far but it's worth getting rid of the little creatures once and for all.

Just FYI, never, ever use other store bought topical flea products such as Hartz brand. These are known to have caused seizures and death!

Good luck with your pooch!

Old 07-09-2012, 01:47 PM

217 posts, read 214,460 times
Lizita! Very good answer! I agree with you.

Old 07-09-2012, 03:07 PM

8,462 posts, read 10,875,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
The best products are Frontline, Advantage and Revolution in my experience. All others - shampoos, collars, powders, etc. - are next to useless and so is Dawn. The problem with these is that they just kill the fleas it comes in contact with. They don't kill the eggs and larva and all the fleas in the environment so they just keep coming back and you will never get rid of them. The good thing about the above products are that they kill fleas for 30 days including eggs and larva so that once new fleas that are in the environment jump on your dog they are killed and eventually they all die out. If the flea infestation is severe, which I assume it is since you've been unsuccessful in treating it for a while, it is imperative that you treat your dog for 3 months in a row. If you do this you should not have to flea bomb your house or treat the environment in any other way other than thorough vacuuming and washing of things that can be washed like the dog's bed, etc. All the above products come in 3 or 4 packs so you'll have enough to treat for 3 months.

Revolution requires a prescription but Frontline and Advantage don't. You can also buy generic Frontline now which is much cheaper and equally effective. They sell these at Walmart, pet stores and even some grocery stores. Look for the igredient Fipronil. Some also contain an additional ingredient called S-methoprene. This is generic for Frontline Plus while the ones containing only Fipronil are generic for Frontline Top Spot. If you can find one containing both ingredients that's best. It's more expensive that the stuff you've used so far but it's worth getting rid of the little creatures once and for all.

Just FYI, never, ever use other store bought topical flea products such as Hartz brand. These are known to have caused seizures and death!

Good luck with your pooch!
Blue dawn works, plain and simple.
As for fleas "jumping back on you dog" as you stated, the reason for that is, your dog smells like a dog, and flea's oratory sensors are attracted to the natural smell of your dog.
If you alter the natural dog odor with a deodorant, it is good-bye fleas, as they will not be attracted to your dog, so there will be no more "jumping on my dog".
Since I started this with my Shepherd, he has not scratched once that I am aware of.
We walk in wooded trails everyday, and he remains flea and tick free, and before with the name brand flea and tick products, he was scratching almost continually.
If you tried blue blue dawn, and it didn't work, then you applied it wrong, or you didn't use a dog deodorant after , insuring that your dog would not give off it's natural attracting odor .
Bob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs