Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 06:17 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,266,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponDad View Post
We have given him several baths with flea medicine,tried flea collar,tried some powder. NOTHING has worked to kill them or drive them off him...he is white so its even easier to see....poor thing I just wish I could them gone.
You may have to bomb your house as fleas will nest and lay eggs in your carpets and on your furniture. He could be catching them over and over again because of this. If the bombing doesn't work, then along with that he might need a trip to the vet. Make sure if you do have your home bombed for the fleas that you have all other pets out of there, remove all plants you don't want killed, etc. Read the instructions carefully before you attempt to de-flea your home this way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 07:11 AM

8,051 posts, read 12,764,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHapa View Post
Only Advantage, Frontline and those types of meds work. You can buy them at the pet supply store or even at Costco without a presrciption.
I found a cheaper place - even cheaper than Amazon. It is called KV vet supply. Look them up online.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:16 AM

8,051 posts, read 12,764,996 times
Archer IGR - Free Shipping

I swear by this stuff - It is a Insect growth regulator. It will disrupt the life cycle of fleas.

I had a REALLY BAD flea infestation at my house as a result of being stupid and using the cheap flea & tick meds on my six dogs/two cats. They were everywhere.

I decided to get serious. I sprayed the entire house and yard with the ARCHER IGR, bought "capstar" pills for the animals and started using the flea/tick meds that actually work.

Life is sweet, no more fleas.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:38 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,852,904 times
PLEASE PLEASE be carefull with "flea bombs" you MUST remove ALL animals and people from the hosue before setting off a flea bomb, this is particularly difficult for folks with pet birds and FISH TANKS, flea bombs will KILL fish and pet birds! its practically impossible to cover a fish tank tightly enough to prevent damage from a flea bomb (and difficult to keep pet birds out of the house for 12 hours (the reccomended MINIMUM time to remove birds from a residence wihle bombing due to their sensitive respitory systems))

So if you have fish or birds in your home PLEASE no bombs, especially since they are unnessicary, a good house spray like the Enforcer (or an IGR like Wartrace mentioned) is JUST as effective and ALOT safer!

Old 07-08-2012, 09:22 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,449,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I found a cheaper place - even cheaper than Amazon. It is called KV vet supply. Look them up online.

Same here - always looking for a deal on Advantage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Archer IGR - Free Shipping

I swear by this stuff - It is a Insect growth regulator. It will disrupt the life cycle of fleas.

Same here - got an IGR concentrate that will render 40+ applications, instead of a $300+ per application by a pest removal company. (Not that we need it often now as the pets are taken care of by Advantage - but it's nice to be ready).

Old 07-08-2012, 09:57 AM

217 posts, read 215,331 times
Excuse me, please! Are you sure that it were fleas?
May be you can give a photo for us? The flea is very simple insect for killing.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:58 PM

8,546 posts, read 10,967,143 times
Why would any of you subject your dog to all those chemicals when using blue dawn does the same thing?
The object is to kill fleas, and blue dawn, without all the dangerous chemicals, does that.
Sure, you need to get rid of the fleas in the areas where the dog frequents, but those you can treat with chemicals that the dog will not come in direct contact, as it would if you are applying it directly on the animal.
Just wondering.
You folks are talking about advantage, frontline and similar products like they were the second coming of Christ.
Trust me, they are not.
Bob.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:54 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,332,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Revolution.

Flea, tick, and heartworm all in one.

Never once saw a flea on my dog. Ever.

I have NEVER seen a flea on ours either.

Would not use anything eles.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:45 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,852,904 times
becasue CALGUY...
your methods do NOT always work.

i am a "holistic" person. Garlic brewers yeast and DE in my dogs and cats diets, ect...
and yet my home still became heavily infested with fleas, none of the homeopathic "miracles' worked, and the longer i played around the worse the infestation got.

i have 2 dogs with flea allergies...
Advantage + treating the home and yard FINALLY not only got th epopulaiton fo fleas under control, but completly gone.
my dogs still get brewrs yeas and garlic in their meals, but given the severity of my females flea allergy, i just cant play aorund with the "well its SUPPOSED to work" methods.

I do agree topicals are not "god" neither are pills ect...BUT when your fighitng a major established infestion you cant just sit around going "well garlic was supposed to work"

i personally eat garlic (and take a BY supliment) like its candy, i use garlic inplace of salt, and garlic based dishes are my main meals...and yet fleas, ticks and skeeters STILL find me highly attractive...so changing ones "natural scent" has nothing to do with ANYTHING...
especially since fleas arnt attracted to odor, they are attracted to heat (why a lam is used for a flea trap) its not untill the insect gets CLOSE enough to bite does it then decide if the change in dogs diet makes it still attractive or not. and my experience has been, for every "anti garlic" flea and tick in the world..theres at least one who LIKES garlic lol

Old 07-08-2012, 02:54 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,558,278 times
We use Trifexis with good results. Usually. With this very warm summer, and warm winter prior the flea explosion in the SE is definitely more noticeable than normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs