Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 05:26 PM

554 posts, read 1,154,214 times

Advertisements

I have a 12.5 year old papillon who, until last week, was in pretty good shape. He somehow injured his back while out in the yard with the other dogs (all papillons) and we have been bringing him back from tremendous pain and wobby gait. He is still on high doses of prednisone as well as muscle relaxers and pain meds. He finally started eating again a couple days ago, and I no longer have to syring water into his mouth- he is drinking. He is on strict crate rest exept to be taken outside to potty. He will woof if he needs to pee. However, he is not letting us know when he needs to poop. I'm wondering if he might not be able to sense that he needs to go? Is this possible if he has control over his rear legs and bladder- to not have control over his bowels?

He's doing better in all other regards, but I'll be honest.... cleaning poop a few times a day is getting old quickly. I'll call the vet again in the morning, but I was hoping someone here might have been through this and be able to share some positive news?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 05:41 PM

941 posts, read 1,803,252 times
Default try to ride it out

It may be just a matter of time before your dog will be recuperated and no longer needy.
Try to be patient a little longer.
In time it will either get better or worse, but you will have a clear conscience knowing
you went the extra mile.
Our dogs are our life, our family.. give it your best and you'll not regret it.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourageMom View Post
It may be just a matter of time before your dog will be recuperated and no longer needy.
Try to be patient a little longer.
In time it will either get better or worse, but you will have a clear conscience knowing
you went the extra mile.
Our dogs are our life, our family.. give it your best and you'll not regret it.

Yes, of course I will give him longer He is doing SO much better these past couple days. Pooping in the crate is new though.

I'm not trying to come across as impatient, but I am trying to be realistic. I am a student/stay at home mom with two young kids and other animals. There will be a limit to what I can do...... eventually. What I want is someone here to tell me "of course, this happened to me and my dog came through fine. Give it another week and you will see for yourself"

Old 07-08-2012, 06:34 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
I that him to a chriopractor. No he cant tell when he has to go! Try Doggie diapers! But he needs a back adjustment asap

Old 07-08-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I that him to a chriopractor. No he cant tell when he has to go! Try Doggie diapers! But he needs a back adjustment asap
This dog has seen a chiropractor reguarly for many years. It was ultimately the only thing that helped him long ago at the peak of his agility career. I can't afford regular visits now, and I am sure that this lack of chiro care has contributed to his current acute injury. The chiro I am taking my dogs to now will not adjust him while he is in acute pain- maybe in a week or so.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:51 PM

Poor Boy! I use diapers til he can get adjusted & gets feeling back. I also do heat treatments & rub downs. Keep us posted!

Old 07-08-2012, 06:58 PM

Tell me about your Paps! I had LadyBug my 1st pap for 13+ months now ...got her at 4 months... So shes 1 yr 5 months!

Old 07-10-2012, 12:09 PM

941 posts, read 1,803,252 times
Default A few days later....

How's little Papi feeling today?

Old 07-10-2012, 02:02 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
It's possible he can't feel the need to poop, although he probably will when more healed.
My 11-year-old cattledog mix has never ever had an accident of any kind. Then he fell down some icy steps and his hind legs went limp. He was in the hospital for four days (no broken back) and the vet said he'd likely have some nerve damage that might or might not ease up.

He does occasionally drop a poop without noticing, because he clearly can't feel what's going on. He never pees inside and that never changed. He has gotten better with time.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:46 PM

He's doing somewhat better. He seems to be able to hold it to poop outside much of the time, but not all the time. So progress.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs