U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 11:41 AM

683 posts, read 1,613,363 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are looking to get a larger breed dog such as a German shepherd but we already have a cat who has been our only pet for 6+ years. Does anyone have experience bringing a large dog such as a german shepherd into a family with a cat? How was the experience? any problems/issues? What are other good larger dogs for homes with cats?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 11:56 AM

7,330 posts, read 13,223,996 times
You can't go strictly by breed. Chow chows, greyhounds, and huskies come to mind as dogs that are NOT said to be good with cats, but some will do fine with them. A chow mix I had was the least friendly to cats of any dogs I've owned, but I did get her to tolerate them. I had her first, though, so she already respected me when a cat came into the picture. I think that makes a difference. My 2 current dogs, pit bulls, play and snuggle with our cats, and from what you see online, that's not unusual. Their main issue at first was being overexcited (in a happy way). In my work at the shelter, I've seen a few pit bulls that reacted aggressively to cats, so it's really an individual thing.
If you're getting a puppy, most any breed should do fine. If you're getting an adult, check shelters for dogs that have lived with cats or who are being fostered with cats. Many animal lovers who foster dogs own cats as well. This will give you the best assurance that they'll get along.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
You can't go strictly by breed. Chow chows, greyhounds, and huskies come to mind as dogs that are NOT said to be good with cats, but some will do fine with them. A chow mix I had was the least friendly to cats of any dogs I've owned, but I did get her to tolerate them. I had her first, though, so she already respected me when a cat came into the picture. I think that makes a difference. My 2 current dogs, pit bulls, play and snuggle with our cats, and from what you see online, that's not unusual. Their main issue at first was being overexcited (in a happy way). In my work at the shelter, I've seen a few pit bulls that reacted aggressively to cats, so it's really an individual thing.
If you're getting a puppy, most any breed should do fine. If you're getting an adult, check shelters for dogs that have lived with cats or who are being fostered with cats. Many animal lovers who foster dogs own cats as well. This will give you the best assurance that they'll get along.
The plan is to find a 1-2 year old rescue dog that is "known to be good with cats" I don't really want a puppy and I'm sure there are plenty of dogs that could use rescuing.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:50 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,171,081 times
It depends if the dog has been around cats before. There really is no way to determine if an older dog would be good with cats unless you knew that they say grew up with one. IMO it is much easier to raise a dog from a puppy if you already have cats.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:25 PM

36,484 posts, read 43,730,834 times
I disagree. Any rescue or shelter will have a resident cat on hand to test dogs to see how they get along with cats. I think it depends entirely on each individual dog. And small dogs can be very aggressive to cats...jack russels come to mind

Old 07-10-2012, 02:32 PM

Yeah, I would prefer to skip the puppy stage, the two types of dogs we are looking at are bernese mountain dogs and german shepherds but I'm open to others.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:38 PM

439 posts, read 818,592 times
When my German Shepherd was a couple of years old, I brought home kittens. She had never been around cats much before and was not raised with them, so I was a little concerned, but she LOVED them. They were her babies. She never bothered neighborhood cats either. I think if you found the right dog, a GSD would be fine around cats.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:42 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,531,320 times
My dogs are a beagle and a mix. My mix is part terrier (mom) and his marking and body look more akita than anything else. I can hang onto his harness with my hand but he doesn't have a really heavy body and very long legs.

I got him as a puppy. He'd grown up with cats and is offical protector of my smallest who at just past four pounds gets picked on. When he hears her cry he runs over and barks at the offender. She sleeps next to him. I would never have guessed, looking at him first as an adult, that he'd be so good with them, but then he grew up with them too.

The pictures with the puppy and cat and the dog and cat sleeping together in my photos are him and his first, instant friend. The puppy picture was the two of them settling down to get to know each other literally right after he came home.

If you can, bring your cat to meet the dog too. Animals are like other creatures, and sometimes they don't get along. Let them meet before you bring home the dog.

One clue to a dogs exposure to cats is how they play. My dogs who grew up with cats use their paws like cats do, to bat things. The ones without never displayed that.

Also, you cat might accept a puppy far better than a full grown dog. The the cat its a baby and they'll get used to it as it grows up. Remember the cat also needs to be willing to accept the dog and a puppy is more likely to be.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
My dogs are a beagle and a mix. My mix is part terrier (mom) and his marking and body look more akita than anything else. I can hang onto his harness with my hand but he doesn't have a really heavy body and very long legs.

I got him as a puppy. He'd grown up with cats and is offical protector of my smallest who at just past four pounds gets picked on. When he hears her cry he runs over and barks at the offender. She sleeps next to him. I would never have guessed, looking at him first as an adult, that he'd be so good with them, but then he grew up with them too.

The pictures with the puppy and cat and the dog and cat sleeping together in my photos are him and his first, instant friend. The puppy picture was the two of them settling down to get to know each other literally right after he came home.

If you can, bring your cat to meet the dog too. Animals are like other creatures, and sometimes they don't get along. Let them meet before you bring home the dog.

One clue to a dogs exposure to cats is how they play. My dogs who grew up with cats use their paws like cats do, to bat things. The ones without never displayed that.

Also, you cat might accept a puppy far better than a full grown dog. The the cat its a baby and they'll get used to it as it grows up. Remember the cat also needs to be willing to accept the dog and a puppy is more likely to be.
Yes, actually my biggest concern is my adult cat who is alone and used to being queen of the house, and she absolutely despises other cats but hasn't been around dogs at all except for when she is on the balcony, the neighbors above have dogs that are sometimes on their balcony, and she seems indifferent to them. If they were cats she would be unhappy about them being that close.

I first assumed it might be better to get a puppy for this reason, but I'm also afraid all that energy will just annoy my cat. Secondly, we are moving into a new house next week and not excited about the idea of a puppy destroying the place But I would be willing to risk it if it were the best chance of my cat getting along with the dog.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:26 PM

7,330 posts, read 13,223,996 times
Choose a room for your cat and her things, and put a baby gate in the door. This will give her a place to get away from the dog. Even if they get along, there may be times when she needs some space. It will also prevent him eating her food, and raiding the litterbox for "kitty roca", which is a delicacy to most dogs. Of course, a large dog can clear a baby gate, but I've never had one try.
And even if you have a dog that seems to be fine with her, don't leave them alone unsupervised until they're really settled in together. Close them in separate rooms, or crate the dog. It may turn out to be unnecessary, but better safe than sorry.

Last edited by subject2change; 07-10-2012 at 04:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs