Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 12:23 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,271,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
If you follow Cesar Millan's methods, you'd need to assert your dominance over the shepherd mix. Once that's done, you can correct her at the first sign of a problem. This of course, requires that there be contact between the shepherd and new dog so you have an opportunity to correct any confrontations before they escalate. Remember, the start of one could just be a look or ear twitch.

Also, I wouldn't reinforce the shepherd's alpha status. It just gives her the go ahead to "boss" the others around and gives her mixed signals. You be the alpha and let them all be of somewhat equal status. For instance, in feeding, feed the one who does what you want first. Correct the others if there is a problem. This further reinforces your alpha status.
Well, I'll step out and say this isn't such a great plan. This whole "assert dominance" thing is okay in the right hands and a disaster if you don't know what you're doing and can't accomplish it in an hour like Cesar does through the miracle of t.v.

OP - my suggestion is you do need to be the alpha and the daughter needs to cut the shenanigans with the shepherd. This is a dog, not a princess. I do agree with akck that you need to be the leader and the shepherd needs to be on a level playing field with the smaller dog, but after all these years that is easier said than done. It may take a long time to accomplish. And now you have multiple dogs and multiple situations.

What you are seeing may be female aggression, especially since your shepherd has ruled the roost for such a long time. I don't care if you have 6 leashes on all of them, if they decide to fight it is going to be ugly. Very, very ugly, and you could have a logging chain around their necks and it won't matter. Get out of the way. Baby gates can work if you are extremely diligent...and they may not work with two females who are extremely determined. Once a fight breaks out, everyone will be in on it...and the two females very possibly will fight until one is seriously wounded or dead.

Get a trainer/behaviorist in there pronto to assess. Sometimes these things can be worked through if the aggression is mild. Perhaps you erred in introducing them all a little quickly, but I wouldn't want to test that theory. I would never recommend leaving a foster dog in a home where there is true female-to-female aggression - that rescue with the sweet personality that gets along with other dogs could turn into a dog that cannot be integrated with another female in the future due to fear problems from what happens today. And homes with no other animals sometimes are few and far between and dogs languish in foster care.

Bless you for fostering this old girl, though - if you feel you can keep them reasonably separated until the whole situation simmers down, then everyone wins. Unfortunately, there really IS such a thing as an alpha female and she doesn't give up her crown without a big ol' fight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 12:58 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,640,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Well, I'll step out and say this isn't such a great plan. This whole "assert dominance" thing is okay in the right hands and a disaster if you don't know what you're doing and can't accomplish it in an hour like Cesar does through the miracle of t.v. . .

Get a trainer/behaviorist in there pronto to assess. Sometimes these things can be worked through if the aggression is mild. Perhaps you erred in introducing them all a little quickly, but I wouldn't want to test that theory. I would never recommend leaving a foster dog in a home where there is true female-to-female aggression - that rescue with the sweet personality that gets along with other dogs could turn into a dog that cannot be integrated with another female in the future due to fear problems from what happens today. And homes with no other animals sometimes are few and far between and dogs languish in foster care. . .
This is wonderful advice. I should have anticipated this happening before I fostered Reyna, but my dogs were seemingly low key and easy going pets and I thought since they played with other dogs in Doggy Daycare, they would get along equally well with a friendly newcomer. I can't tell you how miserable I feel because I really love this new dog and want to make her a part of the family - I don't have the heart to send her back to the shelter. But, it is Tippy and Cody's home too. I'm going to crate Tippy this weekend (and possibly Cody), until I can find a good (and not too expensive) dog behaviorist to come over and assess. Thanks for a really well-thought out and useful response to my concerns.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:24 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,544,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Well, I'll step out and say this isn't such a great plan. This whole "assert dominance" thing is okay in the right hands and a disaster if you don't know what you're doing and can't accomplish it in an hour like Cesar does through the miracle of t.v.

I don't disagree with you and I never said it could be done in an hour. It will actually take the rest of their lives to accomplish since you need to be the dominant influence all the time. I did say the OP needs to be confident she can be dominant and control the situation before moving forward. This could be days or even weeks.

We have friends who got a big pup a few months ago. They were nervous that he'd be jumping up and greeting all guests coming to the get together. We happened to arrive first and he met their fears. I was able to assert dominance and keep him occupied and under control while all the other guests arrived. They were amazed at his behavior and have been working on improving his greetings.

I will admit that we have a shepherd rescue that no amount of training will completely stop him from climbing the fence to see the dog or bear on the other side. His experiences over his first 4 years of life with other owners have ingrained some behaviors/desires we can't overcome. Knowing this, we've taken steps (from raising the height to going electric), to keep him from going over.

On, and I should add for the OP, that she should initially allow only one-on-one contact between the dogs and not all three at once. I'd start with the little one first, assuming it wasn't the initiator of the aggression.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:26 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,271,623 times
I totally am not saying YOU said it could be done in an hour - but it just looks so easy when Milan does it, and I have some issues with his teachings anyway <shrug>.

I am all in favor of the human being in control, but a situation like this one that has the potential to go out of control in a split second? Separate the dogs, learn the lessons later. For the safety of everyone involved.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
. . ..

On, and I should add for the OP, that she should initially allow only one-on-one contact between the dogs and not all three at once. I'd start with the little one first, assuming it wasn't the initiator of the aggression.
Right. I walked Tippy (shepherd) and Reyna (new gal) together this morning and my daughter walked the male (Cody) alone. The two dogs got along great but I separated them as soon as I got back in the house. I've walked Reyna and Cody alone together too and they were fine until we got back in the house and that is where all hell broke loose because Cody feels like I belong only to him. My husband is out of town on business for a week and I wish he were here to help with this situation. I'm purchasing the crate this evening so that I don't have to worry about them killing each other while I'm sleep tonight.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
Right. I walked Tippy (shepherd) and Reyna (new gal) together this morning and my daughter walked the male (Cody) alone. The two dogs got along great but I separated them as soon as I got back in the house. I've walked Reyna and Cody alone together too and they were fine until we got back in the house and that is where all hell broke loose because Cody feels like I belong only to him. My husband is out of town on business for a week and I wish he were here to help with this situation. I'm purchasing the crate this evening so that I don't have to worry about them killing each other while I'm sleep tonight.
It sounds like Cody may be the instigator of the problems and Tippy may be reacting to something Cody does. Hopefully you corrected Cody when he started the trouble. I think a crate is a good idea, but I'm not sure which one belongs in it.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
It sounds like Cody may be the instigator of the problems and Tippy may be reacting to something Cody does. Hopefully you corrected Cody when he started the trouble. I think a crate is a good idea, but I'm not sure which one belongs in it.
I haven't put any of them into the crate yet - I'm leaning towards purchasing two more crates so they will each have one. Would it be mean to let them run around the house (separately of course) during the day while everyone is at work and school, and then crate them in the evening (after they've had dinner and a walk), so that we can be in the same room together? I've never crated any of my dogs, but perhaps I should have. The new gal was in a kennel crate of course so she would be used to it, the other two who knows.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:30 PM

Whatever you do, don't use the crate as a punishment. Make them a place where the dogs find as a place of security. We've had 2 shepherds who would rest in their crate, even for just a minute. They both showed signs of concern when we finally removed them after a couple of years. Our golden is a different matter. Something happened and she has fear of crates. She's the only dog I know that can increase her weight by 5 times to keep from being put in a crate.

Slowly introduce them to the crate by leaving the door open for them to explore. Once used to it, you can lure them in with treats. You can also hide treats in the crate which will occupy them for a few minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs