U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2018, 01:33 PM

1 posts, read 346 times

Advertisements

Thank you for this information. My 8 pound Boston terrier just ate 3 chicken wings (ones with two bones). All three whole. Went to vet x-rays twice, vet did give us a Pepcid type pill to settle her stomach as the acid breaks down the bones. praying it softens before entering her intestines. It’s been almost 48 hours, appetite normal, no puking, normal BM. Hoping she passed them soon with no punctures. 臘*♀️
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2018, 02:56 PM

4,705 posts, read 10,126,357 times
Chances are your dog will be fine, Yes cooked chicken bones can splinter and cause damage but more often then not thy do not cause any issues. My dogs eat raw chicken bones and while I do not feed them cooked ones over the years dogs I have owned have found cooked chicken bones that people have dumped on the ground while we are out and they usually will chomp and swallow them before I can get out a " leave it" command. I just keep a close eye on them for a few days and we have never had a problem.

Years ago when I spent a few months in Indonesia every time I had chicken be it at a home or out to eat when I was done someone would take my plate and give the scraps including all the chicken bones to the dogs. The first time I saw it I was like but after seeing everyone do it and the fact those dogs had been eating such their whole life I got use to it and it made me less anxious when my own dogs found cooked chicken bones and inhaled them before I can stop them.

Old 08-19-2018, 03:32 PM

1,201 posts, read 414,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Chances are your dog will be fine, Yes cooked chicken bones can splinter and cause damage but more often then not thy do not cause any issues. My dogs eat raw chicken bones and while I do not feed them cooked ones over the years dogs I have owned have found cooked chicken bones that people have dumped on the ground while we are out and they usually will chomp and swallow them before I can get out a " leave it" command. I just keep a close eye on them for a few days and we have never had a problem.

Years ago when I spent a few months in Indonesia every time I had chicken be it at a home or out to eat when I was done someone would take my plate and give the scraps including all the chicken bones to the dogs. The first time I saw it I was like but after seeing everyone do it and the fact those dogs had been eating such their whole life I got use to it and it made me less anxious when my own dogs found cooked chicken bones and inhaled them before I can stop them.
Wow, another old thread revived. When I was a kid, the dogs always ate the chicken (and steak, rib, pork chop) bones leftover from a meal. They not only did it in my family, it was common practice at the friends’ and relatives’ houses as well. Often all the food scraps were scraped from everyone’s plates onto one plate, and the resulting pile scraped into the dog bowl. I was into adulthood before I ever heard dogs shouldn’t eat cooked chicken bones (and of course, I stopped doing it).

Old 08-19-2018, 05:51 PM

6,809 posts, read 2,779,636 times
A bit OT, but another story about the amazing things dogs have successfully digested.

My cattledog spent a week with a friend while I was traveling. Up until this point she had never counter-surfed probably because she had never discovered it was possible to find food there and also because she had some hip trouble that discouraged her from jumping.

The friend left a 2 lb bag of frozen bacon to thaw in the sink, left on errands, came home to find no bacon, no bag, no wrapping, nothing and a peacefully sleeping dog. She called me and my vet very worried, waited for the eruptions and misery, searched poop for the plastic wrap, nothing happened.

Unfortunately, the only negative consequence was realizing she could counter surf given enough motivation. This was the same dog who, a year later, managed to fish a piping hot Stouffer's Family Size lasagna (about 2.4 lbs) off the back of the stove and eat all but the burned pasta layer on the bottom of the tin in half an hour. Again, didn't faze her a bit.

Old 08-20-2018, 06:18 AM

1,568 posts, read 801,181 times
Fun stories! As good as the morning comics! I also couldn't help but notice how MANY times this thread has been revived.

Old 08-20-2018, 12:27 PM

4,705 posts, read 10,126,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
A bit OT, but another story about the amazing things dogs have successfully digested.

My cattledog spent a week with a friend while I was traveling. Up until this point she had never counter-surfed probably because she had never discovered it was possible to find food there and also because she had some hip trouble that discouraged her from jumping.

The friend left a 2 lb bag of frozen bacon to thaw in the sink, left on errands, came home to find no bacon, no bag, no wrapping, nothing and a peacefully sleeping dog. She called me and my vet very worried, waited for the eruptions and misery, searched poop for the plastic wrap, nothing happened.

Unfortunately, the only negative consequence was realizing she could counter surf given enough motivation. This was the same dog who, a year later, managed to fish a piping hot Stouffer's Family Size lasagna (about 2.4 lbs) off the back of the stove and eat all but the burned pasta layer on the bottom of the tin in half an hour. Again, didn't faze her a bit.
Do not know if I have told this story but a large Weimaraner that did agility with us was known to eat all sorts of things he should not have. He even ate a whole frozen Turkey! After years of counter surfing and eating things not meant for him he took a brick of cheese off the counter and it was wrapped in plastic, sadly the plastic did block his trachea and he suffocated and was found dead. Growing up we had the same breed living next door to us, this was in the 60's and we had a milk delivery service. The neighbors got up early and would let the dog out to run and he would come to our house and pull the tops off the glass milk bottles that had just been delivered to the door and lick the cream off the top of the milk...my mom would be so mad!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs