U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 02:46 PM

17,336 posts, read 28,401,054 times

Advertisements

So. Here are the facts.

Artie came to me at 3.5 years of age, in 2007. He is now almost 9 years old.

I work from home, so Artie gets to go outside many, many, many times per day. In the year(s) before he came to me, he was crated all day while his person went to work. But for the past almost 6 years, "holding it" has never been an issue -- we go out many more times than he needs to.

He does hold it fine all night. Our last outing to pee is at around 10pm, and even when I let him out at as late as 6.30am the next morning, he oftentimes just hangs around, not ready to pee yet. So, he can definitely hold it for 9+ hours. It's just that on any given day, there's no reason for him to have to hold it because I let him out so frequently (at which times sometimes he pees, sometimes he doesn't).

That's my fault. I've spoiled him.

Now. My question.

Because I've practically trained his bladder to know that it doesn't have to hold it -- except for nighttime -- I worry about when my husband and I go on a day trip, and can be gone for 6 or 7 hours.

Granted, I know that he sleeps much (or all) of that time. But still. It's not his normal routine.

If we're gone for longer, I arrange for someone to come let him out every 4-5 hours while we're away. But for those shorter day trips (say 6 or 7 hours), I want to be able to enjoy myself and not worry if Artie is sitting on the floor with his legs crossed, holding his pee in, praying that I'll be home soon so that he can go out. I know that, even if he does the worst -- pee and/or poop inside -- that I'd deal with it, but I'd hate to put him in a position to be to the point of doing what he's never done before -- eliminating in the house.

But, oh wise ones, do you think that he, after almost 6 years of not having to hold it, can hold it on those days, for 6 or 7 hours? I know that you can't guarantee anything -- nor are you going to come clean my floors -- but do you think, given that it's not a "normal routine day" and that Artie would sleep for most of it, that I could be gone for 6 or 7 hours without worrying about his bladder exploding?

Yes. I'm neurotic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 05:12 PM

3,352 posts, read 7,577,162 times
I didn't work for a few years and did the same as you with taking the girls out every couple hours and they never had to hold it. I started working again and worried about them so I started leaving them for 5-6 hours and then 6-7 without any problems. There have been a few times where they are home for 8-9 hours and they just seem to sleep while I panic that I need to get home and take them out. I think it was just a matter of varying the routine and making sure they pee before I leave.

Old 07-14-2012, 06:19 PM

7,329 posts, read 14,073,275 times
I agree. I think he should be fine. As Dogmama said, he'll probably sleep most of the time anyway. When I go out, I let my dogs out right before I go and tell them to pee because Mommy's going out. They've learned what I mean, and they always pee for me.

Last edited by subject2change; 07-14-2012 at 07:27 PM..

Old 07-14-2012, 07:21 PM

4,873 posts, read 10,843,346 times
I think Artie will be fine too. Jazz and Dash were use to having a dog door so could go out whenever they wanted to but sometimes when I would visit my parents especially when my sister was there with my neice and nephew we would do day trips ( say to Disneyland, seaworld, SD zoo) and would be gone all day sometimes even 12 hrs or longer and because Jazz would jump the fence if I left the property she and Dash would get locked in a bedroom and they were fine. Never an accident and never in a big hurry to go out as they always had to greet everyone and get some love from me first.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:56 PM

12,821 posts, read 33,426,685 times
I would for peace of mind have some one check on him & let him out .... Even IF he can hold it Why make him at this point in his life. Also as dogs [& people] holding as get older is hard LOL Poor boy not going to understand you leaving for a couple hrs shopping to being gone ALL Day!

Old 07-15-2012, 05:38 AM

The first three responses made me feel good. Katie, you ruined the streak! Ha! Sometimes, Katie, it's hard to get someone to come to let him out. Also, sometimes I think I'll be out for 4 hours, but then something happens -- there's somewhere else to go -- and the time stretches.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:12 AM

5,981 posts, read 16,789,567 times
DandJ, do you have a fenced yard that you can put locks on the gates? Have you thought about a doggy door?

Old 07-15-2012, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
DandJ, do you have a fenced yard that you can put locks on the gates? Have you thought about a doggy door?
I do have a fenced yard but Artie's a barker and I don't want him to go out unattended. He could end up disturbing the neighbors for all 6-7 hours that I'm gone. I also don't know, if left to his own devices, if he could end up digging himself out from under the fence. He's never tried, but if left alone for so many hours, I don't know what he'd attempt.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:00 AM

18,847 posts, read 33,155,442 times
What is funny...is the ways dogs act when Mama is not around. I always worried Sam would bark when left outside...so I asked my neighbor to monitor Sam for me when I was gone. Basically he barked when we left...and then patrolled the yard, barked at a few birds, and napped. When we got home...he barked up a storm...so...I wondered if he carried on like that all the time. No....just if he wanted Mama's attention. He did not bark all day.

Dogs will soak up and need as much attention as you give them...but will also adjust if you are gone. Artie will "hold" his pee...he has been trained to not go in the house. But since you are there....why bother?

Now...a more difficult thing to, "untrain"...Sam was always rather suspicious of men...this made my male cousin nervous...so he would feed Sam a hotdog whenever he growled at him...well....smart Sam! Realized if he growled at Ed....he got a hotdog! I really think he was just messing with Ed...he never bit anyone. But he would take a hotdog, anytime....

Old 07-15-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
What is funny...is the ways dogs act when Mama is not around. I always worried Sam would bark when left outside...so I asked my neighbor to monitor Sam for me when I was gone. Basically he barked when we left...and then patrolled the yard, barked at a few birds, and napped. When we got home...he barked up a storm...so...I wondered if he carried on like that all the time. No....just if he wanted Mama's attention. He did not bark all day.

Dogs will soak up and need as much attention as you give them...but will also adjust if you are gone. Artie will "hold" his pee...he has been trained to not go in the house. But since you are there....why bother?

Now...a more difficult thing to, "untrain"...Sam was always rather suspicious of men...this made my male cousin nervous...so he would feed Sam a hotdog whenever he growled at him...well....smart Sam! Realized if he growled at Ed....he got a hotdog! I really think he was just messing with Ed...he never bit anyone. But he would take a hotdog, anytime....
I really don't want to risk the outdoor thing. He'd be inside. But you're sounding like Artie would adjust to the schedule change... Right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or