U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 11:33 AM

263 posts, read 797,394 times

Advertisements

My GSD is highly allergic to flea bites. 2 Weeks ago she went to the Dog Sitter and must have been bitten by a flea. Now she is so itchy. I have her on Benadryl and Atarax (alternating) and have given her a bath with tea trea oil but she is still so itchy. I also use Itch Halt from Jefferspet.com. Anyone have any great home remedies they can recommend to alleviate the itching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 02:21 PM

36,484 posts, read 43,747,138 times
i have a bichon who is so allergic to flea bites she get ungodly hot spots and is miserable so we make sure she never is exposed by keeping her current on flea and tick repellent. when she gets in grass and gets itchy we give her people benadryl. this has kept her from scratching herself raw.

Old 07-15-2012, 02:40 PM

5,981 posts, read 16,319,506 times
2 weeks and the GSD is still having problems? Wow...any hot spots?

If you can tell where the bites are at or if there are hot spots or red areas, spray a mixture of 50/50 Listerine Gold and water on the spots. Dries them up, soothes the bites, and heals a hot spot very quickly. But it has to be the Gold - don't know why, but the other types just don't work.

Hope that helps - I've been doing it for years with rescue fosters and it works!

Old 07-15-2012, 05:51 PM

No hotspots just constant itching and biting. Last week I saw a red spot (bite area) but haven't seen anything since. We have been treating her religiously but it only takes one bite. The last time this happened we had to resort to 6 months of her being miserable and rouds of steroids since nothing was working. Sure hope thats not the case this time

Never heard of the Listerine method. Its worth a shot,

Old 07-15-2012, 06:11 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,798,138 times
take an old sock (or stocking/pantyhose foot) fill with 2 cups of Oatmeal.
fill the tub with HOT water and put the oatmeal filled sock in the tub and let it sit untill the water is room temperature/dog friendly mix frequently and squeeze the sock regularly (you want oak "milk" bath water but dont want the oats themselves clogging your drain, then into the tub with her get her as far under the water as you can on her back (if not eep poruing it over her back/the itchy spots) and keep her in there for as long as possible. Rinse LIGHTLY with COOL water after the oatmeal bath.

you can also make an oatmeal "mask" by literally making a single serinv of THICK oatmeal, let it go to room temperature and then squish it onto the itchy spots if shes got specific itcy areas...again let it sit (dont worry it wont hurt her if she eats some lol) for as long as possible before rinsing with COOL water.
Oatmeal is naturally soothing and this method has none of the chemicals associated with otameal based shampoos ect making it realy safe for ensitive skin.

For "on the spot" treatments mix up some "peppermint tea" take peppermint leaves (or a peppermint teabag) steap in HOT water, strain well (you want a STRONG peppermint water enfusion) into a squirt bottle with amist setting ,and keep in the fridge, VERY soothing as a spot on treatment (and great for a refreshing sprits in the summer for you too when you get too hot.

You can also use any baby safe anti itch cream directly on any itchy spots,
a cotton t-shirt will help keep scratching/chewing on the back and belly at a minimum too.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:34 PM

36,484 posts, read 43,747,138 times
can't rep you foxy but wanted to thank you.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
take an old sock (or stocking/pantyhose foot) fill with 2 cups of Oatmeal.
fill the tub with HOT water and put the oatmeal filled sock in the tub and let it sit untill the water is room temperature/dog friendly mix frequently and squeeze the sock regularly (you want oak "milk" bath water but dont want the oats themselves clogging your drain, then into the tub with her get her as far under the water as you can on her back (if not eep poruing it over her back/the itchy spots) and keep her in there for as long as possible. Rinse LIGHTLY with COOL water after the oatmeal bath.

you can also make an oatmeal "mask" by literally making a single serinv of THICK oatmeal, let it go to room temperature and then squish it onto the itchy spots if shes got specific itcy areas...again let it sit (dont worry it wont hurt her if she eats some lol) for as long as possible before rinsing with COOL water.
Oatmeal is naturally soothing and this method has none of the chemicals associated with otameal based shampoos ect making it realy safe for ensitive skin.

For "on the spot" treatments mix up some "peppermint tea" take peppermint leaves (or a peppermint teabag) steap in HOT water, strain well (you want a STRONG peppermint water enfusion) into a squirt bottle with amist setting ,and keep in the fridge, VERY soothing as a spot on treatment (and great for a refreshing sprits in the summer for you too when you get too hot.

a cotton t-shirt will help keep scratching/chewing on the back and belly at a minimum too.
This is great. Thanks.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:25 AM

3,564 posts, read 2,389,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
take an old sock . . .
Great suggestions - I'm going to try them on my itchy shepherd. Thanks a lot.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:53 AM

3,961 posts, read 8,513,477 times
I used Sulfodene for Hot Spots in the liquid form on my Golden Retriever who was allergic to flea bites. I put it on a cotton ball and rub it on the bite. It has worked the best out of everything I have tried. Use it as directed on the bottle. You can buy it at a pet store. Also, use benadryl to go along with it. Ask your vet for the recommended dosage of benadryl for your size of dog. I use Walmart generic brand allergy pills. My parents dog has real bad allergies and the vet recommended benadryl and daily baths with a special shampoo the vet gave them to use.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:01 AM

6,591 posts, read 20,798,138 times
no proble guys, my lil pp crestie has major flea allergies but is realy semsitive to chemicals (like most cresties) so au natural was the way to go with her, and its helped with dozer too as hes also allergy prone. (probably due to the "bully blood" lol)

Im hoping once i can finally afford to switch them to 100% raw feeding itll also take care of the allergy issues so that might beanother avenue to explore...raw fed dogs are alot LESS prone to flea bites aparently
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs