U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 08:53 AM

24,843 posts, read 32,384,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoxers View Post
hi Guys, my Boxer is on heat now, can you tell me at what stage in her period is the best time to get her with a male for it to be effective. i need to borrow a male from someone we know but dont want to keep him for the whole period?
If you need to ask these questions....do not breed your dog.

You are not prepared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 10:52 AM

6,071 posts, read 8,365,038 times
Are you serious? Why would you breed your dog? Please don't. From your question alone I can tell you have no business breeding dogs.

Also, hitting a dog is a huge no no, but then again I wouldn't spank my children either. And the dog really shouldn't be eating what you're eating. She should be eating a high quality food made for DOGS.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:18 AM

11,160 posts, read 20,451,301 times
I wouldn't breed her. You need to get her training handled before you even think about something like that.

You need to be careful about allowing her access to neighbor's livestock. Here, if a dog is killing the neighbors chickens, the neighbors are well within their rights to kill the dog, by shooting or other method.

And about spanking the dog, I have a dog whose rump learns much faster than her head. If you tell her no ten million times, she doesn't get it. But the second time she gets a light tap on the rump for the same behavior, she will never do it again. The only exception is the prey drive thing...my girl is a catahoula and she really badly wants to hunt my pet birds. I have to make sure she never has access to them, it can't be trained out of her.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:54 AM

6,948 posts, read 19,455,657 times
Troll?

Old 08-29-2012, 11:56 PM

6 posts, read 30,667 times
i am sure all off you are perfect owners when it comes to your pets, if i was a pet expert (like all of you) i wouldn't be asking these questions..........don't judge people if you do not know them!!!!

Old 08-30-2012, 03:48 AM

5,981 posts, read 16,319,506 times
LoveBoxers, no one is a total expert - but trust me, these people are giving you what amounts to CENTURIES of advice and personal experience in a few small posts. This ain't our first rodeo. There is no need to be defensive. You ask, we answer - but just because you don't get the info you were hoping for doesn't mean it ain't right.

You are asking questions that are basic, the first questions one might ask looooonnngggg before considering "borrowing a male from someone we know" and just hoping things fall out right. This is where you do some research before you dive off into something that can go very badly. At this point you have a 2-year-old boxer with some training issues and that should be your first concern.

This dog came from a pet store, picked out by your child for the cuteness factor. You have absolutely ZERO knowledge of any health problems or tendencies, and there is every chance this dog's family tree looks like the Charlie Brown Christmas tree...it may not branch out too much. Oh, and then there's the dog that belongs to someone you know - now the problems just ratcheted up about tenfold.

Here's some things to consider:

Is your dog breed standard?

What medications should be avoided with Boxers?

What is piebald, and what is your plan to deal with a dog exhibiting this genetic trait? Is YOUR dog a piebald or a carrier?

What health concerns are there with the Boxer breed in general? What is the largest cause of death in Boxers?

What is entropia? Bradyocephaly?

If you can't answer these questions off the top of your head then don't breed now. Actually, I'm sorry - I will say don't breed at all. The best experience and knowledge you can gain on Boxers is to work with a rescue group and see just how many are surrendered daily, and why. I guarantee - that will stop you in your tracks.

Please do some research - restrain your female and contain her until her cycle is over....at that point you would preferably have her spayed. Don't, don't, don't leave her unattended for a moment, or in a chain link fence area - yes, they can breed through a fence - and please, for the love of God, don't bring another mixed litter into the world.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:15 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,146,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
LoveBoxers, no one is a total expert - but trust me, these people are giving you what amounts to CENTURIES of advice and personal experience in a few small posts. This ain't our first rodeo. There is no need to be defensive. You ask, we answer - but just because you don't get the info you were hoping for doesn't mean it ain't right.

You are asking questions that are basic, the first questions one might ask looooonnngggg before considering "borrowing a male from someone we know" and just hoping things fall out right. This is where you do some research before you dive off into something that can go very badly. At this point you have a 2-year-old boxer with some training issues and that should be your first concern.

This dog came from a pet store, picked out by your child for the cuteness factor. You have absolutely ZERO knowledge of any health problems or tendencies, and there is every chance this dog's family tree looks like the Charlie Brown Christmas tree...it may not branch out too much. Oh, and then there's the dog that belongs to someone you know - now the problems just ratcheted up about tenfold.

Here's some things to consider:

Is your dog breed standard?

What medications should be avoided with Boxers?

What is piebald, and what is your plan to deal with a dog exhibiting this genetic trait? Is YOUR dog a piebald or a carrier?

What health concerns are there with the Boxer breed in general? What is the largest cause of death in Boxers?

What is entropia? Bradyocephaly?

If you can't answer these questions off the top of your head then don't breed now. Actually, I'm sorry - I will say don't breed at all. The best experience and knowledge you can gain on Boxers is to work with a rescue group and see just how many are surrendered daily, and why. I guarantee - that will stop you in your tracks.

Please do some research - restrain your female and contain her until her cycle is over....at that point you would preferably have her spayed. Don't, don't, don't leave her unattended for a moment, or in a chain link fence area - yes, they can breed through a fence - and please, for the love of God, don't bring another mixed litter into the world.
Well said. OP, please take a step back and give some thought to the responses here. I adore boxers. Unfortunately I see too many of them at work, both in the cardiology and oncology departments. Even the most carefully bred boxers are prone to a host of health issues. It literally makes me cringe to think of a litter whose genetics haven't been researched. I'm not saying the puppies would definitely develop problems and have shortened lives but the risks seem too high to me.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:34 AM

6 posts, read 30,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas sky View Post
Well said. OP, please take a step back and give some thought to the responses here. I adore boxers. Unfortunately I see too many of them at work, both in the cardiology and oncology departments. Even the most carefully bred boxers are prone to a host of health issues. It literally makes me cringe to think of a litter whose genetics haven't been researched. I'm not saying the puppies would definitely develop problems and have shortened lives but the risks seem too high to me.
Yes, all you said makes sense, i just think its a woman thing - my boxer is the most adorable thing on earth and gives us so much pleasure and taught if she can have some puppies and i give them to people who I know will take very good care of them that they will feel the same love we do for the boxer breed. i was never a fan of big dogs (no dogs at all) but when she came into our lives i got a whole new perspective of big dogs especially boxers, i cannot answer any of these questions and don't even know what some of them mean, so i will put my mind at ease for letting her have puppies, rather that other than something goes wrong during her giving birth and i loose her, i will go out of my mind and never forgive myself. thanx so much

Old 08-30-2012, 05:07 AM

5,981 posts, read 16,319,506 times
LoveBoxers, you are doing the RIGHT THING! Kudos to you for taking time to learn - thank you a thousand times!

Old 08-30-2012, 11:33 AM

11,855 posts, read 15,497,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoxers View Post
She is also very very jealous of the Labrador when every we give her attention, the boxer will make sure she gets in between us and the Labrador so she can get the attention

You may not like to hear what I have to say, but it's a "It happened to us" story..

We had a fun loving brindle boxer female. We got her as a pup and raised her in a home with two small kids and two other well mannered dogs. A bluetick hound that was around 3yrs old and a Basenji. That boxer was in heaven! She was raised romping with the kids, the other dogs- no signs of aggression at all. We affectionately nicknamed her 'Ms. Wiggles' becasue she would shake with delight when it was time to play.

About 2-3 years later she started to show some odd signs- like getting protective of the Basenji, one certain toy, butting in for attention from us.. We tried to address the issues but really thought not too much of it. We even asked our vet about it- she said it sounded natural for the breed.

Mind you she spent most of her days with her big buddy the bluetick hound outside- playing and hanging out.

Then one day she snapped. I mean totally snapped. Out of the blue she turned on the coonhound and literally shredded her open from face to chest. The wife and kids were home and frantically tryied to call her off. She wouldn't let go of the coonhound and dragged her around the yard like a rag doll.

I was at work but my neighbor (a firefighter) was home and heard the commotion (and we all lived on 4 acre + tracts- he was two tracts from us and still heard it!). He came down with a soda fire extinguisher and had to unload the thing in the boxer's face to get her to release.

I rushed home, my wife rushed our coonhound to the vet e.r. and I called our family vet at home that evening. After a lot of discussion it was decided that the boxer should be put down. The vet said that type of agression in that breed when it was properly socialized and among a stable 'pack' was dangerous, and would not recommend that we try to rehabilatate or even send the dog out for adoption. We took her advice and made that tough decision.

All of this totally, and I mean totally took us by surprise. She really never showed ANY outward signs of agression. A little guarding here or there but always playfull and full of fun.

My coon hound required over 50 staples, 2 surgeries, and suffered a broken leg, lacerated eye and snout, had to have blood becuase she lost so much.. It was a horrific scene.

Whatever happens I truly wish you well and the best of luck. I hope ours was a freaky occurance, and our vet seemed to think so. But I can't help remembering it all started with a little spark of jealosy and guarding- than BAM. No warning.

By the way I still love Boxers as a breed. They are totally awesome and great creatures. I would not hesitate to own another BUT- it would the only dog in our family when we have no children in the house. That incident made me obviously cautious. They are a powerful, powerful breed of dog.

Last edited by Threerun; 08-30-2012 at 11:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs