Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 10:23 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times

Advertisements

I won't say "money is no object" but more importantly is the general well-being of my dogs. Leo, aged 8 is a male boston terrier and Tabi, aged 10 is a female boxer. They were both adopted as rescues. I am home with them most of the time. We used to travel a good bit but always had a pet sitter stay at our house. Now, both pet sitters have outgrown that kind of work and here are my two choices for going away soon for about 10 days:

1. A pet sitter who will stay at my house but works full time 7am - 5:30 pm.
2. A boarding kennel with both dogs sharing a space (they will prefer being in the same kennel if they are away from home)

Here's some issues:

1. My male BT always gets up in the middle of the night to go potty outside -- we have a doggie door -- and of course won't be able to do so at a boarding kennel
2. My female boxer loves dogfights. She never starts them but if any 2 dogs get into a tussle, she jumps in and escalates it to a fight. I'm concerned about her on the play yard at a boarding kennel.
3. Because I have a doggie door, and live in a golf course community, I often have to call the dogs in because there is a lot of action going on early in the morning and their barking can be disruptive to neighbors. But I wouldn't want the pet sitter to close the doggie door and leave them home alone for over 12 hours daily....

Which would you select?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 10:37 AM

795 posts, read 4,538,319 times
Hi Squirl -- That is a difficult choice. If I had to choose between these two options, I would prioritize based on safety first and comfort second. So the boarding kennel would be out based on Tabi's tendency to escalate tussles to fights. I wouldn't want her to hurt herself, any other dog, or a kennel worker.

I'd go with the pet sitter at home. One thing, though, and I know it's not your preference, but again it's based on safety: I'd have the pet sitter close the doggy door during the day. Twelve hours IS a long time for the dogs to be inside, but so many things can happen to an unattended dog outside.

If you haven't already, I'd check with your vet and/or dog-owning friends and get a recommendation for a second pet sitter who could visit at lunch and let both dogs out. Even if you don't find a second sitter, this is still the option I'd go with.

Hope this helps. Everyone has different preferences, but this is how I personally would handle it (and I have a Shih Tzu I've been owned by now for 15 years)...

Old 07-19-2012, 10:38 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Pet sitter.
I love the pet sitter.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:47 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Could you possibly find another pet sitter? One who doesn't work full time? I know it's difficult but when we moved to MA from CT, that became one of my top priorities. I spoke to people, I interviewed, and I found one that stays in my house 24/7, and picks up where I leave off.

Check out Craigslist. Many of them advertise there. You'll have to do heavy screening, but you might find a gem.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:57 AM

I use Craigslist for lots of things, but just can't bring myself to find a dogsitter there. Actually, I can only relax if I trust the dogsitter completely -- which means people I personally know have had great experience with them. So, I am down to one dogsitter option at this time. However, I am going to look into the idea of having someone come in during the day....one of my friends uses a professional dog walker who maybe I'll see about using for a drop in visit....

Old 07-19-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
I use Craigslist for lots of things, but just can't bring myself to find a dogsitter there. Actually, I can only relax if I trust the dogsitter completely -- which means people I personally know have had great experience with them. So, I am down to one dogsitter option at this time. However, I am going to look into the idea of having someone come in during the day....one of my friends uses a professional dog walker who maybe I'll see about using for a drop in visit....
The drop-in visit from the dog-walker while the pet-sitter is at work is a GREAT idea!

Old 07-19-2012, 12:02 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
Option 4:
Cancel the vacation. All three sound like there are issues with them that could create problems for the dogs well being. So between vacation or dog's well bieng? You pick, but I say #4.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Option 4:
Cancel the vacation. All three sound like there are issues with them that could create problems for the dogs well being. So between vacation or dog's well bieng? You pick, but I say #4.
I think that could cause resentment between family members which, in turn, would cause resentment toward the dog.

I like the option of the pet-sitter who works full time PLUS a dog-walker coming in for a mid-day outing. I think THAT is the perfect solution.

ETA: Hey, PF, are you doing your reverse psychology thing here, like you did on the "my dog bit the lawn man" thread? Sneaky.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Option 4:
I think its best for the dog's well being that Mom and Dad get away once in a while We've been going with option 4 for a long time now...... have not been traveling much for this reason.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:15 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
I think its best for the dog's well being that Mom and Dad get away once in a while We've been going with option 4 for a long time now...... have not been traveling much for this reason.
If the trip is not elective and postponing it until you have all the duck in a row is not an option, probably the pets sitter with the dog walker visit, is the best of the avilable options.

I travel an awful lot, (travel more than home) so I have to have a plan of action for taking care of the animals. Normally my neighbor and her staff just watch them like all the others especially since part of their operation is at my place. So since my animalss are free roamers, they really don;t need any one but to make sure they are feed and the water is full.

As nice as that sounds, I never am comfortable when I;m away and I know my neighbor or her staff is busy or out. The bulk of that worry centers on this time of year (vacations, buzy time for them, etc)so I have a planned alternative. I actually have a neighborhood kid that I can call on to stay at the place for a week or so when I and the neighbiors most likely will both be away. I pay her to add to the respect of doing this brings (although I suspect being away from the folks is payment enough) and her parents are close by that they can walk over to keep an eye on her if neeeded. It may not help with this trip but consider cultivating a similar relationship as it not only provides a person who can watch them when your traveling, but a regular babysitter when needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs