Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 06:17 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
You don't say how old your dog is?? He does sound like a sweetie. I had adopted a special needs dog in 1999 who was found wandering the streets with her two puppies. She had been treated the old fashioned way with arsenic for heartworm and her teeth were all black and she was mortally thin. When we saw her at the shelter, my heart melted as she laid her head on my lap. Her name was Cheech and she was a cross between Pit Bull and Shepherd..big girl and a love bug. I believe she was 6 when we got her and she lived 7 more years before her heart gave out. We were able to fence in a portion of our yard for her which made her being able to get out on her own a lot easier and kept us inside most of the time in foul weather. We also walked her. In hot weather, we limited her time outside to "potty" breaks, about all you can do beyond wiping them down to cool them off..we also had a small plastic kiddie pool for her..she liked that alot. When your dog has gotten old and tired you will be able to tell when they have "had enough" and it is time to put them down. He will let you know, trust me.
Since Cheech passed away, we have again rescued. We have an American Pit Bull Terrier who is a total love! She has been with us now for 7 years this month. Can't believe my Cheech has been gone that long. Alice, our Pit is a blessing and we love her and will take care of her until her time comes.
Good luck and God Bless your for taking in dogs with special needs. Not enough of us out there, that is for sure!
Hi Pammy, know one knows how old he is, several dog people have told me, it's difficult to tell a dogs age, however, when I got him, he was already deaf, and his eyes showed, he was going blind...it is a slow process with his eyes.
As your dog was getting older, due to the heart failure, would she cough a lot...? at least once a day, since I got him, he will cough then chock a little. Vet told me, "he is to old and frightened to put him thru a gambet of tests...plus, she said, it would be costly and may not show what is really wrong...so, take him home and make him happy...which is what I'm doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 12:03 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,544,358 times
The only thing I can think of that you haven't already done is to get him a companion. I've read stories where another pet acts like a seeing eye dog for the blind pet. Unfortunately, there is no guarantee that a new pet will act in this capacity, so I really wouldn't recommend it, especially with the age of your guy.

Old 07-20-2012, 06:12 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Thanks for the kind thoughts everyone, I do appreciate your kindness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs