U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 04:46 PM

1,830 posts, read 4,851,821 times

Advertisements

We live in the country where dogs are allowed to roam. Our dog doesn't leave our property, however. We are 95% certain it was the neighbor's two dogs who killed our chickens. Dogs kill chickens and leave them to die. It wasn't coyotes because they carry them off for food. The neighbor's dogs are the only ones we've seen on our property--ever--and just within the past few weeks. Their paws look like the tracks around the chicken house the afternoon of the attack (one medium and one small). Our remaining rooster is mending but traumatized. When we see the dogs running toward our chicken house, we fire shots *over* their heads and they run off--but they come back! Phoned the owner to ask him to keep the dogs at home but it's not working.I do not want to harm the dogs--I just don't want them killing my animals! What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 04:49 PM

33,832 posts, read 41,892,438 times
What state are you? You should check its farming/livestock rules concerning domestic animal depradation of stock. You should talk to the neighbor. It could also be feral dogs.

Oldtimers would tell you to unlimber a .30-30.

Old 07-19-2012, 05:18 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,299,532 times
I'd capture the dogs and if they didn't have collars, I'd turn them in to the nearest animal control agency.
If they did have collars, I'd have the owners come pick up the dogs and show them the dead chickens and ask to be compensated for the dead chickens and I'd tell them to keep their pets on their property or else next time, I'll go Miss Gulch on their a**.

Old 07-19-2012, 05:34 PM

2,873 posts, read 4,742,223 times
It's unfortunate because the dogs are not to blame, but your priority has to be protecting your own animals. I would try some non-lethal options first like paint balls or rubber pellets...something that would scare the dogs but not harm them. Or you could look into sensors that spray water at movement and place them around the perimeter of your property.

If the problem persists, look into your local laws. Many rural areas do permit landowners to shoot dogs that worry livestock. That should obviously be your absolute last resort, but the threat may be enough to make your neighbors keep the dogs at home.

I would also get hard evidence that the dogs are coming onto your property. Even just a webcam pointed out a window would be a low-tech, low cost solution. You could then take this to your local police or animal control and file an compliant. If you can capture the dogs, take them to the local shelter...if the owners have to pay a fine to bail them out, that might also be enough to teach them a lesson

Old 07-19-2012, 07:16 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,707,191 times
i think folks here know my passion for animals of ALL kinds...
but if i ever caught my neighbors dog threatening me, my pets or my livestock its a 22 to the head...the neighbor is VERY VERY aware of this fact.
if im shooting AT something its because plan to kill it...i NEVER shoot to "warn", and id NEVER EVER shoot with the intention of simply injuring (as i belive THAT is cruel)

shooting an animal is a last resort, but if it has to be done...do it right!

first offence you talked to the neighbor and the neighbor is not keping the dogs up.
if your not willing to shoot your going to need traps, trap and remove the dogs yourself, take them to the shelter, or call the local sherif dept and tell them youve captured stray dogs on your property attacking your livestock...(you may still hav to takethem to the shelter yourself even then but at least its on the record you did inform the police that the dogs were threatening your livestock.

there is nothing more annoying than human beings who allow their dogs to run loose like this, town OR country...doesnt matter.

id also probably put a couple of strands of electric fence around your coop and pens...
dozer would be happy to tell you that a a zap form a livestock fence charger IS going to make a predator think twice about getting too close to the chickens again. you can get solar units if running power to the area isnt doable.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:21 PM

12,387 posts, read 31,343,833 times
You sound like my gf... decades ago she blamed the neighbors dogs for killing her chickens cause they were Not being carried away! Turned out twis MINK! I suggeat YOU make you chicken pen animal proof! & Unless you SEE the dogs attaching chickens Dont do a thing! Right now your just guessing.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:11 PM

4,585 posts, read 10,812,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
i think folks here know my passion for animals of ALL kinds...
but if i ever caught my neighbors dog threatening me, my pets or my livestock its a 22 to the head...the neighbor is VERY VERY aware of this fact.
if im shooting AT something its because plan to kill it...i NEVER shoot to "warn", and id NEVER EVER shoot with the intention of simply injuring (as i belive THAT is cruel)

shooting an animal is a last resort, but if it has to be done...do it right!

first offence you talked to the neighbor and the neighbor is not keping the dogs up.
if your not willing to shoot your going to need traps, trap and remove the dogs yourself, take them to the shelter, or call the local sherif dept and tell them youve captured stray dogs on your property attacking your livestock...(you may still hav to takethem to the shelter yourself even then but at least its on the record you did inform the police that the dogs were threatening your livestock.

there is nothing more annoying than human beings who allow their dogs to run loose like this, town OR country...doesnt matter.

id also probably put a couple of strands of electric fence around your coop and pens...
dozer would be happy to tell you that a a zap form a livestock fence charger IS going to make a predator think twice about getting too close to the chickens again. you can get solar units if running power to the area isnt doable.
Pretty much this, around here we have a coyote problem and several years ago a fruitcake neighbor thought he'd have chickens...free range chickens, when they started disappearing and finding them dead he blamed my dog...who is on a leash or in a fenced area...even had the cops out to my place...sigh...talk about coyote bait, so anyway the cops when and told him it's the coyote's (stupid and here's your sign).

Old 07-20-2012, 01:28 PM

142 posts, read 413,962 times
It can absolutely be predators other than dogs. Skunks, possoms, and weasels will all kill a chicken but leave it behind. Not always, but they are known to. I keep my chickens in a fenced pen now and lock them in their house every single night.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:37 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,707,191 times
the op did state that they have seen the dogs on their property...so this isnt ust a "my neighborshave dogs so it MUST be them" did the neighbors dogs kill the chcikens? without an eye witness who can speak human, or catching them in the act w wont know...
BUT
i can say that NOONES dogs other than my own are welcome on MY property, and the neighbors should be respecting this and keeping the dogs home.

Around here any dog on your land is considered a potential threat...and most of the farmers in this are paractice th 3 S's cant keep your dog home...least you know it probably didnt die a slow death on the side of the road...

i wouldnt shoot a dog simply for being there...id try and catch it and 1st time around return it to its owners (2nd time around you can go get it from the shelter...3rd time around, ive no idea WHERE your dog is...)
but most farmers, least around here, dont take even the mear presence ofan unknown dog lightly...

Old 07-20-2012, 02:23 PM

4,585 posts, read 10,812,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
the op did state that they have seen the dogs on their property...so this isnt ust a "my neighborshave dogs so it MUST be them" did the neighbors dogs kill the chcikens? without an eye witness who can speak human, or catching them in the act w wont know...
BUT
i can say that NOONES dogs other than my own are welcome on MY property, and the neighbors should be respecting this and keeping the dogs home.

Around here any dog on your land is considered a potential threat...and most of the farmers in this are paractice th 3 S's cant keep your dog home...least you know it probably didnt die a slow death on the side of the road...

i wouldnt shoot a dog simply for being there...id try and catch it and 1st time around return it to its owners (2nd time around you can go get it from the shelter...3rd time around, ive no idea WHERE your dog is...)
but most farmers, least around here, dont take even the mear presence ofan unknown dog lightly...
Yup, around here too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or