U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 06:45 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,224,625 times

Advertisements

Well my dog starts acting crazy as soon as it gets dark outside. She starts running around, acting nervous. As soon as you move she jumps. You try to pet her or go near her she jumps and takes off running. If you're sitting still, she's pacing back n' forth. I don't understand it, anyone have any suggestions or reasoning behind this sort of behaviour?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 07:23 PM

2,766 posts, read 4,983,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LingLing View Post
Read the book "Marley and me". Hopefully, you will feel better.
Read it last year and I loved it. I have never laughed so much as I did reading that book. It is a must read for all dog LOVERS.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:42 PM

5 posts, read 17,279 times
Bach's Flower Rescue Remedy. It is all natural and comes in spray or drops.
I put the drops in his water bowl... It works wonderfully.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:59 PM

43,012 posts, read 92,088,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayannaaaliyah View Post
Well my dog starts acting crazy as soon as it gets dark outside. She starts running around, acting nervous. As soon as you move she jumps. You try to pet her or go near her she jumps and takes off running. If you're sitting still, she's pacing back n' forth. I don't understand it, anyone have any suggestions or reasoning behind this sort of behaviour?
Perhaps she has night blindness and it makes her scared that she can't see as well at nighttime. Talk to your vet.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:00 PM

Here's a very good article on how to understand a dog's fears along with tips on how to help a dog overcome it's fears:

Is Your Dog Afraid of the Dark? Pet Medicine | Pet Medications | Pet Meds | Pet Health | Pet care | Daily Pet blog

Old 10-01-2007, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Perhaps she has night blindness and it makes her scared that she can't see as well at nighttime. Talk to your vet.
No she can see quite well. She loves to roam in the backyard at night and I have to force her to come in. It lasts from about 8p-9p and then she'll start to relax and calm down (totally confused). The vet was no help, all she ever says is "put her in a crate" - that seems to be her answer for EVERYTHING! Unfortunately, this Vet is always filling in for the original vet because he's up in age and his health is not the best. I'm thinking about finding another vet because this lady provides no recommendations/reasoning for anything.

Old 10-02-2007, 12:18 AM

I'd find a new vet to make sure it doesn't have to do with her eyesight. I've done some google searches and the first signs of progressive retinal atrophy is difficulty seeing in dimly lit rooms or at dusk. Then again, I've also found that dogs can be more crepuscular at dusk and dawn because they evolved as hunters and their vision is best suited for hunting at dusk and dawn. So it might just be her natural animal instincts coming out, but I'd check with a new vet to be certain it's not due to a vision problem

Old 10-02-2007, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I've also found that dogs can be more crepuscular at dusk and dawn because they evolved as hunters and their vision is best suited for hunting at dusk and dawn. So it might just be her natural animal instincts coming out, but I'd check with a new vet to be certain it's not due to a vision problem
Now that sounds like you might be on to something there - she is a aussie shepherd mixed with a beagle and I know that beagles were used a lot for hunting (at least my uncle had beagles for hunting). I'll still take your advice and ask the new vet to check her eyesight, just in case thanks.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:10 AM

17,835 posts, read 29,934,528 times
I have the same problem with one of our dogs. He shakes so bad during storms his teeth chatter and he whines and cries, he is almost 12 so I know the stress can't be good for him
The vet gave him a script for Valium it really does help.

ayannaaaliyah I would find a new vet
crating is not the answer to everything.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:29 AM

604 posts, read 4,305,549 times
Have you ever watched the "dog whisperer" on Natl Geographic Channel? Cesar Milan is awesome. He also has a book. His show is all about how to mentally control your pet and change his/her behavior. He doesn't train dogs, he teaches the owner how to behave! I've seen episodes speficially for loud noises/thunder.

I read Marley right after my dog past away, and wished I had read it earlier b/c I always thought that only my dog was neurotic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or