Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 09:10 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,858,669 times

Advertisements

if you can handle it, Febreeze...
our cocker spaneil got hit full on face (in the eyes and mouth) one time, so obviously getting that stink off him was even harder as we had to be realy carefull around his eyes...
and he decided after his bath to rub his face on everything to assist us inthe drying process, the ONLY thing that helped was the febreeze fabric spray...it worked even better when we added 1/2 a cup of natures miracle skunk to the 1/2 bottle of febreeze...and yes we did spray it directly on him too (not his face).
it REALY helped, especialy on the days when the humidity got up there as the parents didnt have central air then lol.

ALL rabies IS 3 years, (its actually longer according to titers) the rabies sold as 1 yr and the rabies sold as 3 year are the exact same stuff just in different bottles, so medically hes safe, its just his paperwork has "lapsed" because the vet used a vial with a 1 yr code rather than a 3.
generally the "1 yr" is given when they dont know a previous vaccine histiry, the idea being you have the 1 year, then the 3 yr booster is given on the follow up...
same as with puppies, youll get a "1 yr" rabies the first shot, go back in a year and as long as your vet is with the times the booster is then the 3 yr.)
make sure to tell them you want the 3 yr vaccine specifically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 01:02 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,634,291 times
Foxy thank you for putting my mind at ease. I'm a wreak and will freely admit it. I would never willing put my boys in harms way, especially when it comes to their shots. I am also one for not "over dosing" when it comes to their shots. I think there is a balance everywhere.

I've just been worried sick since I looked at his paperwork the second time. (No, there are no puncture wounds, but there was a small scratch by his nose. Hubby saw it. When I worked on him, I saw it but by then there was no blood. Hubby said there was only a pen prick.)

Again, thanks for putting my mind at ease. Vet appointment in two hours. Will have to get the two items suggested. Sad thing is, since he took a mouth and face shot, it's his face that smells the worst...

Old 07-23-2012, 01:23 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,364,880 times
Once you get the skunk off stuff, try putting it on a face cloth and rub gently around the face and then rince the same way.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:31 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,029,210 times
if you use the nature's miracle skunk stuff, don't rinse it off.... just rub it into this fur and let it do its thing.... might even be usefull for places he touched in the house, too.....

Old 07-23-2012, 01:32 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
My issue with "Skunk" is that no matter what you use...every time the dog gets wet, for (it seemed like YEARS to me) you will have that faint "skunky" smell...

Old 07-23-2012, 01:38 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayee View Post
Citronella candles will help to get the smell out of the house. They work better than other scented candels. I have been there - our lab got sprayed right on our porch as my husband was leaving her out early one morning. She turned around and ran right back in, dripping from the spray and ran through the house, right to me and jumped up on our bed! LOL I had to throw all the bedding away and shampoo the carpets! It was October so I opened all the windows, lit the woodstove and burned every citronella candle I could find. The dog was easy, I used tomato sauce first and then Natures Miracle but the house took longer. Good luck!!
We had the dog meets skunk drama some years ago. Citronella candles work pretty well, but putting out plain oil of citronella in small saucers or jar tops helped a lot....course you better have a tolerance for a strong citronella odor.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:37 PM

Update: Just back from the vet. Good news as usual Foxy was correct about the shots (wiping brow) and Diesel isn't worse for wear as his vet put it.

Great prognosis. Up to date shots!

Stopped at PetsMart on the way home and took Diesel in, everyone gets wide eyed when they see him. He is beautiful. (Yes, I am predigest! He looks Am Staff at first glance but the more you look the more you see mut- puppy! I did it for fun.) I got the skunk off.

Here we go, round two!

Old 07-23-2012, 06:33 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,858,669 times
glad you got the all clear, it is scary even when you KNOW everythign is ok lol.

and yay petsmart, thats always a favorite for dozer too!

Old 07-23-2012, 07:57 PM

Agreed Foxy, the weight of the world was lifted!

Walking out of PetsMart, the sea parted. It made me smile. Like Dozer, Diesel is impressive in size (82 pounds at today's weigh in.) Big broad shoulders and huge block head...I saw a gal in the distance mouth the word "wow" and my heart just swelled with pride. Yeah, he kinda has that baby hippo look, loves everyone and every dog is a friend unless they start something in which case he has the brawn to smack down whatever is necessary...but he'd rather play, thank you.

If you are a bully breed lover, he's handsome. If they scare you or you think all of them are evil, I wish you could spend 10 minutes with him. On leash, in my control. I might be able to change your mind. He's a wonderful ambassador.

Today, in the vet's office a lady and her two daughter's followed us in. They had a Boxer and Yorkie. I had weighed Diesel and we sat down. I put him on a "sit" in front of me. The mother asked if he was friendly and I told her, "Yes, very. He loves people and other dogs." The Boxer and Diesel greeted and I had him sit again. He bored quickly and layed down in front of me.

They asked for the weight of the Boxer and as she crossed the office Diesel started to get up, I did a slight tug on his leash, said, a firm but calm "no" and he plopped back down.

The Boxer walked onto the scale, weighed, returned to her seat and the lady said, "he's so well behaved!" Both of my dogs have been through obedience classes and I can't get either of them to do that!" I said, "well, he's home schooled and never taken a class." My mut-puppy made me so proud today.

I will admit to feeling bad when entered WalMart for the Fabreeze...I know people were thinking, I know I smell a skunk...

Old 07-23-2012, 11:17 PM

Thank you everyone for all helpful advice. I knew I could post my plight here and get help and you have all come through, reps to all!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Diesel is sleeping like a baby, I even got a little nap. The smell is down to at least half and I know there is more work to be done but I needed a break.

Again, thank you. I feel as though I can't say it enough!

LuvABull
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs