Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 04:49 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,211,634 times

Advertisements

I think this is why people need to examine their lives prior to getting a dog, and determine if they are ready for the lifestyle changes a dog creates. And realize teens and kids are not prepared to train a puppy, full time. Their interest are som place else.

Things happen. Give up the dog now. I got my cat off of CL, and he has a great forever home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 05:48 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,346,260 times
mod cut I couldn't agree more with no kudzu (tried to rep you n k, but it was too soon). If you've ever lived with a teenager, you know how grudgingly they can do something when it's just because they're being forced to do it. The dog deserves better than that. Other tasks involving inanimate objects can be used to teach responsibility and committment, along with a long talk about how inappropriate his attitude was.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 07-29-2012 at 04:50 AM.. Reason: "I'm happy for you, sunset, that you got so many reps" - orphaned - the post you are referring to has been removed

Old 07-28-2012, 09:45 PM

857 posts, read 2,208,368 times
Not sure if the Op is still reading this but I think she came here for advice and not to be judged.

Sure it is sad her Son has lost interest in the dog and perhaps she shouldn't have bought it but if all the people here who are giving Kudos to a judgmental post,stop and ask themselves did they ever make a wrong call on something,they will have to answer ,Yes.

If they are a 100% ,mistake free in life.I think they must come from another Planet.
I also doubt their Children or Teenagers are perfect either.( I don't expect them to be at such a tender age)

I am sure a Husky Rescue group,will take on this young dog and find it a home.

Good Luck to this Lady.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:22 PM

819 posts, read 3,199,589 times
Update: I talked to my son, told him that I had somebody ready to take her and he changed his tune. He has been doing good with her. I still have to tell him at least 2 times to do something- but I do see a change in him which makes me happy. I'm also going to not work as much, it was OT, so that way I can spend more time with her as well.
I really want this to work and hopefully now that my son knows somebody else will take her, that is the right motivation to keep it going.

Thanks all for your advice

Old 07-29-2012, 03:28 PM

Thought I would post a picture so you all can see this crazy girl

12 weeks

Almost 6 months

Old 07-29-2012, 03:28 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,346,260 times
This is such good news! Of course, it's so much better that she can stay with you. I'm so glad your son reacted the way he did, and you were able to change your hours. You are a very good dog parent to do what needs to be done to make it work!

Old 07-29-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset2000 View Post
I totally understand if your son is 7, but he is borderline an adult. How about teaching him about commitment and responsibility. When the road gets tough, whether it's a job or college, he should just drop out? When the novelty/fun wore off after the honeymoon, should he head directly to the court and get a divorce? Have you asked yourself why your almost-adult son lacks commitment, dedication, and responsiblity?
Actually, my son has alot of dedication & commitment. He currently is in summer theater, and band. During the school year he is in a number of extracurricular activities. So, please before you pass judgement, why not ask for the full story.

Thanks.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:38 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,869,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
This is such good news! Of course, it's so much better that she can stay with you. I'm so glad your son reacted the way he did, and you were able to change your hours. You are a very good dog parent to do what needs to be done to make it work!
^^ This, this, this!

YAY!!! I hope everything works out well.

But I still stand by what I said originally -- that it takes a bigger person to realize his/her limitations than to just suck it up and let everyone suffer for it.

But, but, but! I'm thrilled that you're giving this another try.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:47 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,211,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdotAllen View Post
Actually, my son has alot of dedication & commitment. He currently is in summer theater, and band. During the school year he is in a number of extracurricular activities. So, please before you pass judgement, why not ask for the full story.

Thanks.
And that is pretty much what I thought. Kids that age are busy...and have a lot going on.

Glad you are keeping your dog. I fit in three walks a day with my dog when I was working....morning before work, after work, and before bedtime. I made each one a mini training session.

And I worked with him on the weekends...took him everywhere I could.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:52 PM

506 posts, read 1,156,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
And that is pretty much what I thought. Kids that age are busy...and have a lot going on.

Glad you are keeping your dog. I fit in three walks a day with my dog when I was working....morning before work, after work, and before bedtime. I made each one a mini training session.

And I worked with him on the weekends...took him everywhere I could.
I understand that when people are busy and away from home, he/she can't take care of home duties. But when he is home, that's a different story, don't you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs