U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 12:40 PM

14,505 posts, read 23,724,078 times

Advertisements

What a beautiful husky dog,
Glad you are keeping her. Hope it works out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 02:39 PM

455 posts, read 1,007,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdotAllen View Post
Hey All, first off, I am really torn up about this and don't know what else to do. I have a 6 month old Siberian Husky, Arwen, who I have had since she was 12 weeks old. I adore her and wish that I didn't have to do this. But I have to rehome her. My 17 year old son, whom I got her for, wants nothing to do with her. He loved her at first, but now that the novelty wore off and she isn't a tiny little puppy anymore he can't be bothered. I am at work all day, at least 12-13 hour days. All the training I do with her when I am there, he does not reinterate with her during the day.
So since she isn't getting the attention she needs and she has been acting out. She has destroyed so many things. Chewed the cords off my lamp, Xbox 360 and this morning my printer. Eaten endless pairs of socks, underwear, and cat toys. And she has her own toys, so many that my living room floor is covered.
I've been thinking about this for a few weeks, and I think the best thing for her would be to let another family adopt her that will have the time and patience for her.

So my question is, has anybody else had to go through this? I feel absolutly terrible about this, but I need to do what's right & fair for her.
I too slipped up I bought a pet rabbit for my step-daughter who wanted a pet for our grandson, he was 2 years old. Obviously the rabbit was for her. The novelty wore off and Barney moved in with me and hubby. Moral of the story don't buy pets for others, be prepared to step in if you do.

Dogs will chew through bordem or teething. Confine her to a room where she can do anything she likes (when you are not in). Walk her prior to leaving her. Buy toys of different textures. Walk her on returning home.

Teething, thoroughly wet a flannel (face cloth) I then put it in a plastic food bag, pop it in the freezer. This gives the dog something to chew and soothe gums at the same time.

tbh if you don't have the time or patience for her then it would be better for the dog to be rehomed.

I have since read the whole thread, how lovely that you are all prepared to work things out together.

Last edited by suei; 07-31-2012 at 02:46 PM.. Reason: Added the last paragraph

Old 07-31-2012, 02:56 PM

23,970 posts, read 32,674,900 times
Quote:
Hey All, first off, I am really torn up about this and don't know what else to do. I have a 6 month old Siberian Husky, Arwen, who I have had since she was 12 weeks old. I adore her and wish that I didn't have to do this. But I have to rehome her. My 17 year old son, whom I got her for, wants nothing to do with her. He loved her at first, but now that the novelty wore off and she isn't a tiny little puppy anymore he can't be bothered. I am at work all day, at least 12-13 hour days. All the training I do with her when I am there, he does not reinterate with her during the day.
So since she isn't getting the attention she needs and she has been acting out. She has destroyed so many things. Chewed the cords off my lamp, Xbox 360 and this morning my printer. Eaten endless pairs of socks, underwear, and cat toys. And she has her own toys, so many that my living room floor is covered.
I've been thinking about this for a few weeks, and I think the best thing for her would be to let another family adopt her that will have the time and patience for her.

So my question is, has anybody else had to go through this? I feel absolutly terrible about this, but I need to do what's right & fair for her.
Puppies make terrible presents.

Find a rescue group or no-kill shelter for Arwen ASAP. She, and you, deserve better than this miserable situation. I was in a similar situation with a Lab puppy 2 years ago. I found her a new home, adopted a tiny dog the following year, and am very happy with him. The Lab I gave up went to an excellent home and I get periodic updates on her. She's doing great.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:33 PM

5,850 posts, read 8,788,065 times
So glad you're able to keep her - she's so gorgeous!

Maybe if there's a way that your son can attend training with her they'll really bond and he can take the training as a challenge? I've found the classes to be a great bonding experience (and...a humiliating experience)

Old 07-31-2012, 06:45 PM

13,153 posts, read 17,370,800 times
Quote:
Actually, my son has alot of dedication & commitment. He currently is in summer theater, and band. During the school year he is in a number of extracurricular activities. So, please before you pass judgement, why not ask for the full story.

Thanks.
The dog is beautiful! And your son is to be commended on his change of attitude. Be proud of him. There's hope for the two of them and their relationship. I second others' suggestions about training. If he has the time to take a training course with the dog, encourage that. There probably are places in your area that teach beginner obedience and other fun classes. Kids can get really excited about their dogs when they find out that a whole new world opens up to them. Google for "dog training" in your area. A 6 or 8-week class will do wonders for their bonding, and will teach your son to understand and communicate with his pet. It can make for a very rewarding relationship for both.

I commend you for being so careful about your decision to rehome and I second the suggestion of contacting specific breed rescue groups if anyone needs to rehome a dog of any age. They are wonderful, caring people and will ensure that the dog and new family are well matched.

I wish your son much success with this new endeavor!

Old 08-02-2013, 10:14 AM

4 posts, read 7,199 times
I'm looking for another husky..unfortunately I'm in Sioux Falls,SD

Old 08-02-2013, 03:36 PM

13,153 posts, read 17,370,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cxjohnso View Post
I'm looking for another husky..unfortunately I'm in Sioux Falls,SD
All AKC-Recognized Breeds Puppies for Sale - AKC Breeders - Puppy Tips

Put in the breed and your zip code and you'll find AKC breeders for your Siberian Husky. If you don't want to start with a puppy, breeders often have older dogs (6 months or even a year or two) they want good homes for. They can also put you in touch with that breed's rescue groups.

Whatever the breed, on American Kennel Club - akc.org you can find local breed clubs across the country, virtually in every state, whose members are happy to help you find the dog you're looking for.

That's a beautiful breed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or