U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 12:35 PM

261 posts, read 981,793 times

Advertisements

Does your dog eat while you're away? My two Yorkies will not eat during the day when I'm at work or out for a bit on the weekends. I feel so bad that I'm always rushing home because I know they will not eat when I'm not around. I leave food in two areas of the house and they have a total of four bowls of food (two for each) and two bowls of water. I thought this might help if they were concerned that they would run out or something...it doesn't help.

Any one else's fur baby have this issue? Is there some explanation for this behavior?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 01:26 PM

12,387 posts, read 31,350,745 times
Not hungry! Actually they are to busy guarding..they can let their guard down when you are home. I would not worry about it.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:31 PM

7,541 posts, read 16,353,360 times
Mine eats the couch and other furniture/

Old 10-02-2007, 01:46 PM

261 posts, read 981,793 times
Default Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Not hungry! Actually they are to busy guarding..they can let their guard down when you are home. I would not worry about it.
I guess that makes sense. Thanks

Old 10-02-2007, 03:21 PM

5,000 posts, read 14,433,061 times
My dog does the same thing. My human interpretation is that she doesn't want to eat unless I am home to acknowledge when her bowl is empty. That way, I'll be sure to fill it before she's ready to eat again and before I leave the house.

Old 10-02-2007, 04:19 PM

1,930 posts, read 9,458,968 times
Well, my dogs don't eat when I'm not home, but that's because they don't have food when I'm not home. Dogs do better if they are on a schedule, so we have our dogs on a set schedule, for the most part anyway. They eat twice a day and they have a set amount of food for each feeding. We feed them a certain amount in the morning and a certain amount in the afternoon. They have about 30 minutes to eat everything and then their bowls get picked up, whether they ate or not. We have never had a problem with them not eating though, they always finish all of their food within 5 minutes or so. We take their bowls up as soon as their done eating, but if for some reason they didn't eat, within 30 minutes their bowls would be taken up anyway and they could eat at the next feeding. I know that probably sounds mean, but it's not. Dogs won't just starve themselves. If they are hungry and they have food they will eat. If they know they have all day to eat bit by bit they will eat whenever they feel like it, that's why we give our dogs 30 minutes to eat what they want and that's it. But like I said, we have never had to give them more than about 5 minutes because they clean their bowls right away. They do have fresh water all day everyday though. Water is obviously a different story. They have three full bowls of fresh water for whenever they want it.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:33 PM

673 posts, read 2,914,890 times
My dog will NOT eat if we are not home and even better, if he 'thinks' we are leaving or 'knows' we are getting ready to go, he wont eat either! I've actually had to sit down on the floor and hold his dog bowl and get him to eat that way. As soon as I put on my makeup he knows that I'm going somewhere. poor thing!

Old 10-02-2007, 07:46 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,225,776 times
As PBM mentioned, my dogs are also on a schedule. They eat twice a day...same time every day and maybe a snack in the evening. I leave water out 24/7.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:30 PM

1,930 posts, read 9,458,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citybythebay View Post
As PBM mentioned, my dogs are also on a schedule. They eat twice a day...same time every day and maybe a snack in the evening. I leave water out 24/7.
I think that's the best way to do it. That way they know what's going to happen when. I think they are just more secure and confident when they are on a schedule. Brooklyn, Destiny and Jayda will remind me it's time to eat if I ever get caught up doing something and run a little late! lol! Especially Destiny! Like if I'm on the computer and not watching the time, after waiting for about 15 minutes Desy will come running in the room jumping around and barking like she wants to play! She will get my attention and as soon as I look at her she runs towards the kitchen, then she will run back in and get my attention again and then run back to the kitchen. She will just do that over and over again until I get up and feed her! lol! They definitely know what's supposed to happen and when it's supposed to happen!

Old 10-02-2007, 11:00 PM

43,012 posts, read 92,013,162 times
My dogs eat at 7am and 6pm every day. Since they finish everything immediately, there's no concern for if they'll eat when I'm not home. Afterall, I'm definitely there to feed them at 7am and 6pm every day without fail. I truly believe my labrador would eat himself sick if he had unlimited access to food. I agree that dogs feel more secure on a schedule. They have a built in clock. They know when it's time to eat, go outside, go to bed, etc. They always have something to look forward to!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or