Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 08:50 PM

399 posts, read 702,670 times

Advertisements

Need advise. I have a 1 1/2 year old chiweenie. I've tried everything to potty train her from crating her when not around to taking her out every 15 minutes to 1/2 hour. She will go generally in the morning when I get ready to leave for work then she will poo in the house again sometime when I'm not there. Hubby and step-daughter are home but won't take her out like I do. (problem 1). I get home about 4:30 take her out, she does nothing. I will feed her take her out again, nothing. I will crate her and take her out every hour, nothing. She will sometimes go all night till next morning. So that means she's done something somewhere in the house but don't know what else I can do.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 03:57 AM

13,909 posts, read 39,086,316 times
Why are you sure she poo'd inside? Have you found it? My 17 month old pap only poos 1 time a day. My 7 yr old corgis goes 2 times a day. Both pee when they poo & 1 other time. My neighbors 20 pound mix breed poos 1 time a day pees 3 times. Unless you find it dont assume she doing it! Also sounds like IF you are the only one taking her out you should consider litterbox training her.

Old 08-01-2012, 04:32 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,113,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylee11 View Post
Need advise. I have a 1 1/2 year old chiweenie. I've tried everything to potty train her from crating her when not around to taking her out every 15 minutes to 1/2 hour. She will go generally in the morning when I get ready to leave for work then she will poo in the house again sometime when I'm not there. Hubby and step-daughter are home but won't take her out like I do. (problem 1). I get home about 4:30 take her out, she does nothing. I will feed her take her out again, nothing. I will crate her and take her out every hour, nothing. She will sometimes go all night till next morning. So that means she's done something somewhere in the house but don't know what else I can do.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
If the other household members won't take her out, that is your main problem. Here is what I did in the past when I was working full time and had a puppy. You have a crate, so clean it thoroughly with an enzyme cleaner. The crate with a crate pad inside will be her bed area. Get an ex-pen such as this one for example: Midwest Black E-Coat Exercise Pen, 24 Inches by 30 Inches: Amazon.com: Pet Supplies . while you are at work put the dog in the ex-pen with her crate inside the pen (crate door off or open). Set it up, preferably in the kitchen or somewhere without carpets and put pads down over the area for her to potty on. Put some water in the the pen and a few interactive and chew toys for her to play with (alternate toys). When you get home clean up, take the set up down and take her for a walk.

I know that's not ideal but with two lazy, basically selfish people who refuse to help, at least she won't be pottying all over the house and will be confined to a safe area. As far as the pee pads go, you'll want to gradually reduce the area you spread them over until you just have one or two pads.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:18 AM

567 posts, read 1,007,984 times
Ok, your working and your husband and step-daughter are doing what when they're home? They can't take 15 minutes out of there day to let the damn dog out? Ridiculous.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:23 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,858,882 times
1. Get your hubby and step-daughter on board. They need to get with the program.
2. This is not just for puppies. It's for adult dogs too.
3. It works.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...ing-puppy.html

Old 08-01-2012, 10:05 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,772,674 times
if the hubby and daughter refuse to help your going to need to confine and potentially litterbox train her for during the day.
chihuahuas and doxies are both breeds who tend to be tough to housebreak...there both "stubborn" small enough to easily "sneak away" and potty without people noticiing and both have relitivly small bladders so have a harder time learning to "hold" it (not that i belive they should have to...)

you said youve tried crate training? did she go potty in the crate or did you just not lie leaving her in the crate all day?
if she wasnt messing in the crat then the crate training was working and that would be your best olution, sucks to have to have her crated when theres capbable people in the house that CAN watch and wlak her, but if there not willing to, then this is going to be all you. give her a kong filled with yummies and peanut buter to kepe her busy during the day when your not there and then spend as much time as possible wiht her when you are.

if she was going potty in the crate i suggest litterbox training her at this point, set her up in a small "safe" room (a bathroom of kitchen or laundry room works well for this, you dont want too lage of a space, if you dont have a small easyclean room get an x-pen to attatch to her crate to "make" a small easy to clean area (a cheap peace of linolium under it will keep any accindets in the beginning to a mimimum.
set the crate up as her bed, a little area of the pen up with food and water ( and in one corner of the penput a "litterbox" with a puppy pee pad in it (the pee pads are treated with an attractant so always the best method to work with when ltiterbox training) i like to use a physcial "box" too so theres a visual boundry, a good sized plastic tupper tote or rubbermade type box with the front cut down makes a great cheap "litterbox" clear and no lid is better, if its "dark" they tend to turn itinto a den rather than a litterbox lol)

like the other poster mentioned,its not ideal, but its veruy obvious shes unable right now to hold it through the day and youve got 2 people in the house unwilling to work with you to get this probem soved, so untill then...yourgoing to have to go back to square 1 and do some serious crate/confinemnt training, or your going to have to offer her a "good" place to go indoors when she just cant wait....

Old 08-01-2012, 11:15 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,069,199 times
It took six months to train my doxie. He was sooooo stubborn. What worked for me was literally I made training him my life! Seriously! I used a crate when I couldn't be around, and when I was home and I knew he likely had to go but wouldn't I would put his leash on him and hook it to my belt loop so he couldn't sneak off. If he tried to go in front of me he would be scolded and I'd run him outside, then praise him when he did his business. Freedom was earned. If he did his business then he could have freedom in the house for awhile. Do not leave the dog to roam all over the house unsupervised. If you know the dog needs to go but won't, put him in his crate if you can't watch him. Keep trying every 15 or so minutes until he does his business. Make a HUGE production when he goes outside. Praise him, pet him, and give him delicious treats! Use a word for going outside. Max knows go potty or go poo lol...so now I can command him to go. When I say go potty he knows what I want him to do.

It's frustrating. It's going to take time and consistency. If you can get your hubby and step daughter to help that will help. I was so frustrated with Max sometimes I'd sit in the yard and cry. Just be patient.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:36 PM

Thank you for all your advice. I'll continue to work on it. I do keep her with me when she's loose and not let her roam. But when I'm not there, the others don't care and let her go. So I've just spoken with DH and told him that the dog needs to go out mid-day and if he can't do it, then I'll crate her till I get home. He didn't like that idea so he'd better start taking her out mid-day. If not, I will crate her till she learns.

Thanks all!

Old 08-01-2012, 08:30 PM

13,909 posts, read 39,086,316 times
Sounds to me like your punishing the dog when its the People that need Trained [or smacked! LOL] I use a ex-large crate for Lady-Bug & put a litterbox on one end. That away she dont have to hold it all day.

Check out my pic Album under Lady-Bug & the Album New Apt....

Old 08-01-2012, 09:32 PM

Yes, that is what I'll do if my spouse refuses to help me. I won't let the dog suffer. Couldn't do that. I'm a pet lover not a pet punisher!

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Sounds to me like your punishing the dog when its the People that need Trained [or smacked! LOL] I use a ex-large crate for Lady-Bug & put a litterbox on one end. That away she dont have to hold it all day.

Check out my pic Album under Lady-Bug & the Album New Apt....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs