Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 03:16 PM

718 posts, read 2,079,257 times

Advertisements

I simply could not, would not get another yellow Labrador Retriever. Tess, who died when she was just 8 years old of cancer was the best. I thought that it wouldn't be fair to another yellow Labrador or Black Labrador or Chocolate Labrador. My friend had bred her English Shepherd and we adopted Grace as a puppy....we had never had a Shepherd before and she has brought joy to us. She is her own dog and while the puppy-ness was compared for a time, nothing else has been. They even shed differently. While I still get a lump in my throat whenever I see any yellow Lab and yellow Lab puppies in particular, my opinion is to get a different breed you all agree upon. They get to make their own memories with your family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 05:09 PM

41 posts, read 106,845 times
I also had an elderly almost 14 yr. old dog who died last December (attacked by 2 larger dogs). We thought we'd wait until summer to get another, but after 3 weeks I felt so empty without a dog in my life that I started searching web sites of area shelters. I decided to just look. I found a 3 yr. old dog with similar color and hair as my previous, but it was his personality and demeanor which attracted me to him. Yes, at first, I did compare a bit, but my heart kept growing bigger and he became a part of it. It is natural to compare, but like kids, each is their own individual and we have grown to love him dearly after just 6 months. Yes, I do still feel the bite of sadness from the death of our previous one, however, our new dog has helped to ease that pain. It also is a good feeling to have adopted him knowing he's in his forever home and his loyalty and appreciation is unwavering.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:33 PM

22,845 posts, read 6,437,040 times
Sasha was the perfect peke. Small, black nose, nice colors, we adored her. Even before we had to put her down for
congestive heart failure I knew I wanted another peke. Small, female, like Sasha. A couple of months after Sasha
was gone I went to see a pekingese pup, male, white, brown nose (nostrils too small, needed surgery), big hernia.
Brought him home, he grew to 20 lbs, not fat either, just big. We adore him. Love can grow for another dog.
I still miss Sasha, wish I could have her and Caesar both. I'm glad I got another peke even though I felt Sasha was perfect.
I didn't "replace" her, Caesar is another wonderful dog. We are enjoying life with him.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:14 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Every family with dogs seems to get one phenominal pooch along the way, whre none others compare. It is normal to compare them. We frequently compare our dogs to good old Tigger and all of them come up wanting. We still love them though. We just have to accept there will never be another Tigger.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:09 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,268,094 times
There are no right or wrong answers to your question. If you saw my good bye post, you'll know that my husband and I gently sent Cleo the Bridge and went and adopted another Border Collie mix 48 hours later.

Where I differ with others, I could not get another dog before as I did not want Cleo to feel like she was being ousted, that is only our view though, not right or wrong

While Carly is a BC mix, the only way she and Cleo resemble each other are in the black and white coloring. Carly loves the water be it from a hose or wading pool, Cleo did water on her terms LOL Carly will fetch tennis balls and frisbees, Cleo played keep away. Cleo despised toys that made noise... Carly has found 'em all

As mentioned before, if you go through a rescue that has dogs in a foster program you can find out some more information as to whether they get along with kids, cats and other dogs.

The only other bit of advice I have, you will know with your heart not your eyes that you found the right one

Old 08-05-2012, 03:28 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,315,087 times
It's so interesting how everyone has a different mindset about these sorts of things.... My parents just adopted a 6-week-old Lab puppy that had been abandoned at my dad's workplace. My mom, in particular, was keen on keeping the dog BECAUSE it was a black Lab like our old (and much beloved) dog, Salamander, who died a good 6 or so years ago. They brought the pup home and named her Sally -- IN HONOR OF Salamander (whom we often called Sal) for short. Now they've realized that Sally is actually a boy, and my mom is even more excited...thinks of it as providential...and he's been rechristened Salamander. In her emails about him, she's calling him SalToo. It'll be interesting to see what nickname sticks with him.

Quote:
Every family with dogs seems to get one phenominal pooch along the way, whre none others compare.
We've been really lucky and have had a bunch of great dogs. They've just been great in their own, unique ways and different enough that we could never really compare any of them to each other.

(I still say Bandit has been the best of the bunch, but I'm biased, I know. If you asked my mom, she'd probably say Salamander was the best. My brother would probably name Tabasco.)

Old 08-05-2012, 10:19 PM

117 posts, read 207,708 times
Yours is an entirely reasonable question and I think we all ask it when that awful time comes and that bottomless hole remains unfilled. I completely agree with about 99.9% of everything that has been posted. (And it is truly wonderful to read the words of so many caring and well-meaning people, without the inevitable nut job that wants to blame it on some politician.)

But I think cleosmom said it best: "The only other bit of advice I have, you will know with your heart, not your eyes, that you found the right one." Truer words were never spoken. Don't rush it.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:19 AM

1,253 posts, read 3,634,291 times
I love your question. I do talk about past dogs when one of my current dogs does this or that.

Oh, "put name here" use to do blah, blah, blah...

It is completely normal. I miss the dogs that I have left to cross at the rainbow bridge, but I have their memories in my heart. I am making new memories with my current dogs. I can't imagine living without dogs. I have never tried to replace a dog, for that cannot be done. Each dog is a one of a kind.

Something you may consider is being a foster parent. That way, you can try out different dogs at different ages and see what will be a better fit for you, your family and cats?

You know, there are no right or wrong answers. Only you know what is best for you and right for your family. I can only tell you what has worked for me...

Old 08-06-2012, 09:24 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
I know I'd compare.
Which is the number two reason I don't have a new dog.
And when I get another rough collie, it will have different markings (Rio was a sable/merle/white). I'll probably go tricolor or something.

I have another dog (which we got before Rio died...they were pals for 3+ years), and she is a smooth collie. She is a completely different dog. Once, when I was teasing her, I said, "You're a poor man's Rio." Then I felt bad. She is actually a really good dog in her own right. Being second, she never got that one-on-one time Rio got (she was 7 when we got Shiner)...so we weren't as close or bonded or able to read each other as easily.

Well, the last couple of months have been really tough without Rio, but I find myself also not wanting another dog because I want some time alone with Shiner. To get to know her as well and make new best friends.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:39 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
WE always get a puppy when our dog is within one or two years of the normal lifespan. The puppy will re-invigorate an old dog and make them happier and more energetic. It also makes it easier to deal with when the old dog dies. We do not find the older dog feels like they are being ousted. I do nto think they think like that. They just seem happy to have a new friend (after a bit of growling and nipping to establish the pack order). It is amazing how much it perks up an old dog to have a puppy around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs