Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 09:28 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
I knew it was bound to happen soon, but on Monday I wil be putting my beloved dog to sleep. He has been with us for 15 years (which is really good for his breed half lab/half pointer). He has gotten to the point where when I get home he doesn't even come to say hello to me anymore and just lays there and looks at me. I am going to make sure to give him one weekend of indulgence and enjoyment before I take him in on Monday.

How do many of you cope after putting a dog to sleep? I took the day off Monday from work, but when all is said and done I don't know what I will do once I get home? I am thinking of going somewhere and pigging out with some comfort food and then maybe go for a nice hard run.
So it bothers you that the dog is old and does not pay as much attention to you as before? People get old and serious also..If the dog is not in pain- if he can still get himself up to relieve himself...and if he can still eat- it's not time...The dog is going through his old man period....I never put a dog down unless he is on deaths door step and it is a matter of days before he naturally goes- Then it is okay to speed up the process...

Last edited by Sam I Am; 08-04-2012 at 05:47 AM.. Reason: rude - you don't know the whole situation - don't tell a poster they are killing their dog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 08:10 AM

1,253 posts, read 3,634,524 times
There are four questions I ask myself before I take this step...

1. Can I stop the pain?
2. Are they still enjoying the things they love (playing ball, chewing on toys, etc.)?
3. Can they get go outside and relieve themselves w/out help?
4. Are they still eating and drinking?

If the answer "no" keeps coming up, then I know it is time...and it never gets any easier (I believe someone posted this earlier.) Only you know when it's right for your friend.

As to how to deal with it when the time comes, if it is comfort food and a run for you, so be it. Everyone deals with grief differently. Try no to be too hard on yourself, 15 years is a good life and a weekend of loving before this big step, is a nice send off.

My heart aches for you and what you will be going through on Monday. I am glad you will be taking the day off.

My last one (Tara - R.I.P.) I put down a year ago June and sometimes, I still well up with tears. I miss my ole girl...but then in late July, a year ago, I adopted another dog from the county shelter that had been there for six months. I cannot imagine my life without Diesel.

(I did not go there to get another dog. I went there to get my county tag for Spanky, and decided to take a look at the dogs in the kennels. When I came across Diesel...he had me at hello. I took him home and the rest, as they say, is history.) He did not replace her (Tara). No dog ever could. Again, I cannot imagine life without him and I am so glad I took a walk through the kennels.

Only you know what is right for your dog and yourself...and your future. I wish you the best.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:55 AM

8,063 posts, read 12,779,194 times
I'm glad you are putting your friends well being and comfort above your own feelings, I feel we owe it to our friend to do what is best for them no matter how painful it is to our emotions.

One thing I suggest is to be at his side when he goes. The last buddy of mine (Angel) I had to put down I looked into her eyes as she slipped away. I was there for her til the end and I wouldn't do it any other way.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:20 AM

2,421 posts, read 4,318,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
So it bothers you that the dog is old and does not pay as much attention to you as before? People get old and serious also..If the dog is not in pain- if he can still get himself up to relieve himself...and if he can still eat- it's not time...The dog is going through his old man period....I never put a dog down unless he is on deaths door step and it is a matter of days before he naturally goes- Then it is okay to speed up the process...
It's more than that. He cries in pain to get up sometimes, which is why he doesn't get up anymore to say hello. He has problems breathing. He can't walk more than two minutes until he starts gasping for air. Sometimes just sitting he cant breathe right. The vet believes he has a punctured lung, but because of his age there is nothing really to do for that. I cant even walk him outside in the front anymore because of this. His appetite is suffering as he really doesn't eat much anymore. Every week or so for the past few months he accidentally loses controls of his bowel movements and does it in the house. He accidentally urinated about two times in the house in the past month. He is 15 going on 16 so he has been old for quite some time itnot like he started getting old a couple months ago. He is simply not enjoying life anymore and I can see it in his eyes that he is ready to go.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:48 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
It's more than that. He cries in pain to get up sometimes, which is why he doesn't get up anymore to say hello. He has problems breathing. He can't walk more than two minutes until he starts gasping for air. Sometimes just sitting he cant breathe right. The vet believes he has a punctured lung, but because of his age there is nothing really to do for that. I cant even walk him outside in the front anymore because of this. His appetite is suffering as he really doesn't eat much anymore. Every week or so for the past few months he accidentally loses controls of his bowel movements and does it in the house. He accidentally urinated about two times in the house in the past month. He is 15 going on 16 so he has been old for quite some time itnot like he started getting old a couple months ago. He is simply not enjoying life anymore and I can see it in his eyes that he is ready to go.
You don't have to explain. You don't have to explain this to anybody. You're his person. YOU know when it's time, when his quality of life has no quality left to it.

I know that you came here for one reason. Not for someone to tell you what to do. Not for anyone to confirm that you're doing the right thing. You came for emotional support and for virtual hugs. And those? I give you both of those. In abundance.

Monday is going to be a craptastic day for you. But remember his long life. Remember all the love that you shared with each other. Remember all the memories you built together. Remember that you are doing the most selfless thing for him -- releasing him from a life that is no longer a happy one for him. (We can't do it for ourselves or for our human people -- thank God we can give our pets that sort of dignity and grace.)

So. Monday. Yeah. Remember that we're all here hugging you in some sort of way. And crying with you. And sharing your pain and heartache.

Be gentle with yourself.

ETA: What's your boy's name?

Old 08-04-2012, 09:56 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
all I can say is Im so sorry that you are having to go through this and it does hurt for a long time but if you do decide to put him down then remember it is okay and that you are doing what is best for him . Im in tears just reading these so I have to go now so tootles to all of you but i cant read or type anymore .

Old 08-04-2012, 11:47 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
You don't have to explain. You don't have to explain this to anybody. You're his person. YOU know when it's time, when his quality of life has no quality left to it.

I know that you came here for one reason. Not for someone to tell you what to do. Not for anyone to confirm that you're doing the right thing. You came for emotional support and for virtual hugs. And those? I give you both of those. In abundance.

Monday is going to be a craptastic day for you. But remember his long life. Remember all the love that you shared with each other. Remember all the memories you built together. Remember that you are doing the most selfless thing for him -- releasing him from a life that is no longer a happy one for him. (We can't do it for ourselves or for our human people -- thank God we can give our pets that sort of dignity and grace.)

So. Monday. Yeah. Remember that we're all here hugging you in some sort of way. And crying with you. And sharing your pain and heartache.

Be gentle with yourself.

reps owed... such wise and good words... as always....

Old 08-04-2012, 11:59 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,365,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post

Be gentle with yourself.

My kudos wand is out so reps to you when I can...well said.

To the OP, remember the good times, and as you stated you'll spend a good last weekend saying goodbye. Last fall I went through the same thing with my beloved Gator, his last days were filled with all the food he wasn't supposed to have and he near waddled to his grave filled to the brim with all he loved.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/rainb...-one-gone.html

As one posted said it is "The last and hardest gift to a beloved pet."

Old 08-04-2012, 06:33 PM

718 posts, read 2,079,455 times
I did this last year and it was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do in my life. What "I" would do afterward, did not enter my head. It was all about my dog. Would you wonder the same thing if you were pulling the plug on a human?

Old 08-04-2012, 09:48 PM

1,308 posts, read 3,401,890 times
I'm very sorry for your loss. When I put down my lab down a couple of years ago, it was the hardest thing that I've ever had to do. I still miss him today even though I have a 5 month old lab that keeps me very busy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs