U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-03-2007, 08:30 AM

2,543 posts, read 5,277,076 times

Advertisements

I have a dog and a cat. I currently have them on Frontline (cat) and K9 Advantix (dog). I live in the northeast so I was wondering once we get a hard freeze if I should give up the flea/tick preventatives until early spring, say starting again in March before all of the critters come out. I would like to give them a break from the meds if possible since they are heavy duty, but if there is a good chance they will still pick up some fleas then I guess I'll just continue through the winter. My greatest concern is usually ticks, but once we get a hard freeze here I know that danger is gone.

The cat is an indoor cat and my dog generally just goes on walks in the neighborhood/in my yard, but does go to the dog park once every 2 weeks or so. We just keep the cat on Frontline just in case the dog brings something home since it takes 12 hours for the Advantix to kill them.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 08:59 AM

43,017 posts, read 50,400,919 times
I live in the northeast, and I don't treat my dogs for fleas and ticks in the winter. It seems like a waste of money. If there are no fleas in your house, they won't have fleas throughout the winter. Just be alert to any sudden unseasonably warm periods during the winter because the fleas and ticks can hatch again.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:47 AM

6,997 posts, read 10,894,044 times
If youre worried about the meds being too heavy duty, have you tried a shampoo ? Wash them once a month. I use Tar-Ific shampoo. Its medicated. It keeps my dogs coat real shiny and flea and tick free.

PPP - Professional Pet Products

Old 10-03-2007, 04:48 PM

1,587 posts, read 4,373,622 times
Going to dog park may get fleas from someone who does not treat ever.

Old 10-03-2007, 05:26 PM

3,043 posts, read 8,139,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
I have a dog and a cat. I currently have them on Frontline (cat) and K9 Advantix (dog). I live in the northeast so I was wondering once we get a hard freeze if I should give up the flea/tick preventatives until early spring, say starting again in March before all of the critters come out. I would like to give them a break from the meds if possible since they are heavy duty, but if there is a good chance they will still pick up some fleas then I guess I'll just continue through the winter. My greatest concern is usually ticks, but once we get a hard freeze here I know that danger is gone.

The cat is an indoor cat and my dog generally just goes on walks in the neighborhood/in my yard, but does go to the dog park once every 2 weeks or so. We just keep the cat on Frontline just in case the dog brings something home since it takes 12 hours for the Advantix to kill them.
I'm in New Jersey and I keep my pooches on both of them year round. I know it's expensive however I know if I stop for the winter I'll probably forget to start them up in the spring and just have a headache to deal with.

Old 10-03-2007, 06:44 PM

422 posts, read 870,243 times
When I lived in NC, my vet told me I could stop the flea/tick medicine from Oct thru March.. However, I am currently living in a dog friendly apartment complex and I choose to treat my dog year round due to the fact that we have a dog park in the complex and the plethora of dogs in the complex.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:43 PM

1,921 posts, read 6,368,892 times
I keep my two on Frontline year round.
Don't forget fleas/flea eggs can lay dormant in carpeting, lamp shades, vacuum bags, bedding... no matter what the weather is outside.
Crank up the heater in the winter and if there are any camping out in the house, they'll be sure to make a showing sooner or later...

Old 10-03-2007, 10:47 PM

829 posts, read 6,663,482 times
I guess it really depends on your situation. I never treat for flea/tick because we don't have an issue here.

When I lived where it was warm and humid climate but we had a winter I would stop the treatment through the winter. Later I stopped altogether because we no longer had the problem anyway. If you don't normally have fleas then it shouldn't be an issue. Your dog can pick them up walking or others can bring them in your home. I try to keep to flea free doggie friends. I can't have fleas in my home (some people can and it won't bother them and only bother the dog if untreated) because I have a very bad allergy to their bite. When we had got them somehow in the house I knew right off there were a few and the whole house was treated (went camping for the weekend).

Old 10-03-2007, 10:55 PM

43,017 posts, read 50,400,919 times
I really only treat for fleas when a flea problem arises. In my labrador's 10 years, he's only needed treated for fleas twice. Both times, he caught the fleas at the groomer. Both times, it happened in the summer a couple weeks after being at the groomer. I treated him for a couple of months and then stopped. He didn't catch fleas again. Honestly, I truly don't understand why people treat their dogs continuously for fleas. But I guess some areas of the country have bigger flea problems than other areas.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:00 PM

389 posts, read 2,548,448 times
When we lived in Wisconsin, we stopped October thru March because we hadn't had any fleas/ticks previously where they would have gotten into the house, and up north, fleas and ticks aren't really around in the winter months. That being said, if your dog comes in contact with another that has chronic flea/tick problems where it has likely become an indoor problem as well, it is very possible a problem could develop for your pooch. I don't like to put chemicals on my guys every month. We have never had fleas or ticks, and even though they are a huge problem down here in Florida, we have still never had a problem, and if it pops up, Frontline starts killing so fast that you can nip it in the bud pretty quickly. I do still use the frontline fairly consistently, just not necessarily every month. It totally depends on your situation and your dogs possible exposure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs