U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2012, 01:53 PM

1,647 posts, read 3,009,194 times

Advertisements

We have an 8-year-old shih tzu that we adopted when he was 2. We have just adopted a 4- or 5-year-old shih tzu. They are both males. They are not fighting, but they are not interacting.

Do you remember how long it took for your dogs to form a pack? Do you have any suggestions for helping them along?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 10:59 PM

1,286 posts, read 2,973,344 times
Have a 10 y.o. shep-x and a 4 y.o. poodle mix. Sometimes they act like a pack (i.e. when barking at a passerby) but most of the time they do their own thing.

Given that yours are similar in size, maybe they'll bond....but their personalities might dictate otherwise. Time will tell, I don't think there is anything specific that you can do (but others here might have better advice about that). Either way, they are part of YOUR pack!

Thanks for giving them a home.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:53 AM

1,253 posts, read 3,042,540 times
They may choose not to enter act at first but one of the first things you can do to cement the pack is walk them together. This is a pack activity. It can be down the block, around the park, for a hike all depending on your health and theirs, too.

You can start slow and work into longer walks and or more frequent walks. This is what I did to make sure Spanky was a part of my all female pack when he first came as a foster dog (then I adopted him.) By the time this became his forever home, he was clearly part of the pack...and completely accepted.

When you start the walks they can be on either side of you and eventually you can walk them on one side.

What I would watch for in them (keeping them supervised at all times) is staring (as this can be seen as a challenge), circling each other and chest bumping. If this happens, scoop one of them up and remove that one from the the room, a fight is about to break out and it is better to stop it BEFORE it escalates. You only need to learn to read your dogs.

I am giving you first hand experience, my sister owns shih tzu's and this is what I advised her to do and they have fewer fights, because of it. (Her's were sister's ((litter-mates)) fighting.)

They can become the best of friends, it may happen right away or it may take a little time. However with the proper supervision, no one will get hurt and you can have a peaceful home during this transition.

Please keep us posted and we'd love to see some pictures!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or