Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 10:15 PM

548 posts, read 1,037,835 times

Advertisements

My old dog sleeps on the floor next to my bed, my mini weenies sleep in bed with me most of the time. If they wake me in the middle of the night to go potty we go outside but if for some reason they want to sniff around forever then I crate the offender. They never argue about it. Willie the bloodhound sleeps in his kennel. He cried at first but after a couple of sleepless nights he was ok with it. He has a comfy bed, a treat before bed and a big long long walk so he is tired and ready to rest. He likes to lay in there when he is just being lazy also. I don't keep Willie in our room because I am such a light sleeper and he is a noisy boy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 07:51 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,372,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkiss View Post
My old dog sleeps on the floor next to my bed, my mini weenies sleep in bed with me most of the time. If they wake me in the middle of the night to go potty we go outside but if for some reason they want to sniff around forever then I crate the offender. They never argue about it.
But using a crate as punishment is how dogs end up associating the crate with being a bad place for instead of a safe rewarding place.

The best thing you can do to teach them is to immediately bring them right back inside. Are these puppies or senior dogs? If not, why not get them in the habit of holding it through the night.

Old 12-13-2014, 02:38 PM

2 posts, read 3,882 times
Try giving your puppy it's own mini duvet! We gave our dog a lightweight duvet of his own and he sleeps happily in his own bed now - he was just cold before and wanted to snuggle up to us on our bed, but not any more. We cover him up with his very own duvet and he's totally content sleeping in his own bed now.

Old 12-13-2014, 11:38 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
I suggest Plastic Mattress Protection! & once the dog potties on the bed it Hard to stop them!

Old 12-14-2014, 12:39 AM

259 posts, read 670,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovedogs2 View Post
He will usually whine in the night to go out if he is on the bed. Is this okay to do? I was planning on having him sleep in the bed when he got older but is it okay to have him sleep in bed as a puppy?

Provided he's housebroken, I don't see a problem. Our dogs sleep on the bed. Some people think that there will be behavior problems if they sleep in your bed, but that is based in obsolete 'alpha theory' dog training.

Cohesive dog packs sleep together.

Old 12-14-2014, 03:39 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Help Desk View Post
Provided he's housebroken, I don't see a problem. Our dogs sleep on the bed. Some people think that there will be behavior problems if they sleep in your bed, but that is based in obsolete 'alpha theory' dog training.

Cohesive dog packs sleep together.
When we had our labs and a setter years ago, we trained them to sleep on the floor in our bedroom, in their own beds. Our bed didn't have room for a large dog, plus we didn't want dog hair in our bed.

Now we own two small, non-shedders and I wouldn't want them anywhere but on our bed, snuggled up with us.

Old 12-14-2014, 07:17 AM

857 posts, read 975,133 times
I have always had my dogs sleep in my bed, from the first day they come home. I have no issues with my dogs. Not everyone wants a dog in the bed with them and that is their choice, I don't think I would be able to sleep with out them. It comes down to a personal choice, no right or wrong. I usually have a few cats sleeping with me also.

Old 12-14-2014, 09:35 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,047,287 times
https://www.facebook.com/2travelingd...type=1&theater

Old 12-14-2014, 11:21 AM

259 posts, read 670,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Our bed didn't have room for a large dog

I can relate! We had to buy a king size bed, and it can still get small with two 60 pound dogs!

Old 03-23-2015, 02:15 AM

1,653 posts, read 2,305,846 times
It depends on the size of the dog. I had two little dogs and they took up no room in a full size bed. Now one 25 pound dog in a queen size bed takes up half the bed. I wouldn't have it any other way. He is a good cuddle puppy and a great source of heat in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs